Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know more manufacturers are going towards them, but in all honesty I have never used the one on my taurus. (I have tested it though). The keys stay in the safe. I believe gun safety begins with muzzle control and the lock is just a gimmick. So is it lawyer proofing, or do customers genuinely desire this? I certainly don't and think hard on a purchase of a gun with such a lock.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't use mine either on any of my firearms other than testing them. I will say that the locks haven't stopped me in a purchase though. I often wonder, though, if somehow, someway one of my guns ends up in the wrong hands what would happen since I didn't have the lock engaged? Of course, if questioned, mine would always have been locked and I suggest anyone else say the same!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
is there a way to permanently disengage the lock or remove it? I have talked to a respected gun smith in the area that does law enforcement guns and he has mentioned that if the gun is dropped they are known to engage...you can see the problem with this in a combat situation

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
If it is the one in the hammer of my Tracker.. :-\
read quite a few posts on mine....don't really now if it is a problem, but for me the only reason to use it is if I had kids around...and i don't.. i also wonder if it is for (the benefit of the people that don't really agree with firearms) ;)...think that was politically correct :D

the lock is just a gimmick
think you are right on that Ace,someone did think in there own mind that it was a good idea..Me I think it is just more stuff being done to satisfy all the gun bills that have been passed..bet the manufacturers really don't care one way or another..seems like a easy thing to add to make people happy,without messing with the gun too much

Now ..this Micro-Stamping thing :puke: :loco:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would use mine if i had kids but unless that happens i wont be using mine I think this would be a nice feature to have for any one with a spouce who needs the sale pitched to them before you can get the gun.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On my little pt22 it somehow came up missing if you catch my drift. Works great without it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't use the lock at all. I have children and teach them that IF they ever see my gun NOT to touch it without asking first. I let them handle my unloaded guns any time they so desire. Imo, safe gun handling around children is to demystify the fire arm for them, teach them how to safely pick up a fire arm and how to control the muzzle (where to keep it pointed), teach them how to check if the firearm is loaded and how to unload it if it is loaded.

I also keep my handgun locked in a safe that I only open at night while I am sleeping so I can get to it. My rilfe is never loaded in the house and the ammo is kept locked in a safe.

Locks on a firearm itself is a good thing for those who don't want to mess with a third party trigger lock, but aside from that I see no use for them at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only used them to check functionability. Good idea but takes to long for my eyes to focus to unlock them and in a defensive situation time counts. I keep mine locked in the safe when not in use.

Neverhome

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I don't use the lock at all. I have children and teach them that IF they ever see my gun NOT to touch it without asking first. I let them handle my unloaded guns any time they so desire. Imo, safe gun handling around children is to demystify the fire arm for them, teach them how to safely pick up a fire arm and how to control the muzzle (where to keep it pointed), teach them how to check if the firearm is loaded and how to unload it if it is loaded.
Good point.... Pierce ;)...
that is definitly the way to handle it...thank goodness we were taught that..no gun locks when i was growing up... :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well if they HAVE to include a lock taurus internal locks are'nt so bad hardly noticeable and you can never lose it.

personally i dont lock any individual gun but i do have a wall mounted rifle rack.. it could easily be broken into though since it's basicly just a 1inch think peice of wood that locks them in place..

im trying convert a set of shallow solid wood shelfs into a pistol display case which will have a lock on it, just gotta find a thick enough and large enough piece of plexiglass and some other stuff.

but in the end i always want 1 gun close by unlocked and if not loaded then at least ready to go close by.
the bad guys are'nt gonna wait for you to unlock your gun, load it, then point it at them.

at some point i want to get a pistol grip 12ga, keep it loaded but chamber empty and store it behind my bed room door.

the taurus locks all seem to have the same key's to.. so a thief might have a hard time unlocking the gun unless they have a taurus key.. but that would'nt be to hard to get a hold of i imagine.

guns are one of those things that need to be handled and stored safely.. but every layer of safety is also another layer keeping you from your weapon when you need it most.. it's a double edge sword.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I locked and unlocked my 24/7 .45 one time. Then I became paranoid :eek: about losing the keys and never locked it again. ;)

I do still have the keys. I think) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it seems to me that if we (the customers) don't want such things, then taurus should get rid of the feature. After all it would be one less thing they would have to machine right?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't care either way if there's a lock built into the gun or not. I don't chose to use them. I have a largish safe, a pistol safe and a lock-box in my vehicle. Between them I should be covered. And like was mentioned above, how difficult would it be to find a Taurus key?

Since I have 4 Taurus's now I should see if all the keys are the same, I'm guessing that they are. I think all my keys are in the boxes that the guns came in.

Steelheart

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have found a great use for the key that came with my PT92. It works as a mag release pusher to slide the base off for cleaning. Flat on the bottom so it doesn't scratch like a screwdriver.
Oh yeah, I did engage and disengage the safety once or twice jsut to see how it works. Keeps SWMBO happy also.
Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
When I got my PT 92, I tried the lock. It worked. I then put the keys in the box that the gun was shipped in along with the sales recpt.
I just checked....yup they're all still there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dont use mine yet, but will when my son gets old enough. The only reason I can see to using it is if you have kids in the house. I know when I was 10 or so, I would sneek my fathers pistol out and shoot it. I was not allowed to use it when he was not with me, but I knew where he kept it, and it was easy to sneek out. If the gun has a lock, I would not have to worry about it. Even if guns are in a safe, kids are pretty smart, and can find the key most of the time. I am sure if the lock was tamered with, and the gun was used in an accidental shooting, you could probably be to blame. Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts