Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ComfortTac Ultimate Belly Band Holster for Concealed Carry.Does anyone use one of if so what are your thoughts of this instead of iwb holster?Thanks

·
Registered
32,441 Posts
Well Kylake, I can only say, welcome to the forum. I can asure you, being as this is one of two posts you have made, I would not adovocate later being a proponent of that mouthfull of a holster you just mentioned, My apologies in advance if you are honestly askng.

I, as well as others have been into guns, ammo, complete rigs, holsters, scopes etc. and I have never heard of the holster you mention. Maybe others have heard of your holster and love it. I hope that is the case, as I have been extremely busy and my 66 year love affair with such Items has been on the back burner for the past four years so I know I've missed a lot, other than what I glean on this forum.....whick I think keeps us updated just pretty darned good!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought one from Amazon and didn’t have a good experience with it in the hot Texas summer heat.

Became more of a sweat band around my fat belly.

Have not tried it now that it is cooler.

Ray

PS welcome to the forum. I too am not much for established norms

·
Super Moderator
35,779 Posts
My rotund belly precludes such belly bands. I carry OWB.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
I have one.

I recommend it for what I use it for.

My wife was concerned I was running early in the morning at dark, and wanted me to be armed when I run. I don't carry a weapon otherwise.

Anyway, I wear it under my shirt and under my shorts, but over my undershorts. The band is pretty wide (8 inches or so) and I split it half below and half above my underwear waistband. It does git a bit sweaty, but not too bad. Also, I'm wearing it in the early morning when it isn't over 80 degrees. It holds a TCP perfectly (what wouldn't) and it also does well with a PT740. It probably would hold a larger gun just fine, but I wouldn't be running with anything any bigger!

The only problem I've had with it is that if I don't place the top part below the bottom part (where the end of the belt overlaps) it can rub on my tender skin. I make sure the overlap is a half inch or so below the underlap so there is no rubbing.

My only question is the durability. I've only worn it a dozen or so times this past summer, so who knows if it will last. However, I think it was only $19, so I'm not out much if it doesn't last.

It conceals well and holds firm while I'm running.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them, but hopefully that's a good overview. I recommend one for my circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
39,257 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois and to the fraternity of concealed carry persons. I bought a belly band type holster for deep carry and even though I got the largest one they had, it wasn't big enough...I have to "grow" into it. :rolleyes:

Even it it did fit however, I probably would not be a big fan for primary carry...I carry IWB almost exclusively, and though I could tuck in my shirt over the rig, I don't. I don't want anything slowing down my draw and presentation of my handgun in the precious seconds that I need. While wearing a longer coat in the cold weather, I have my 605 in a pocket holster in the coat even though the Shield 45 in in my Alien Gear holster IWB on my hip.

If you decide to go this way for primary carry, I would suggest many hours of practice with the unloaded gun pulling the garments away and drawing the weapon.

Reactions: slamdunc

·
Super Moderator
35,779 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois and to the fraternity of concealed carry persons. I bought a belly band type holster for deep carry and even though I got the largest one they had, it wasn't big enough...I have to "grow" into it. :rolleyes:

Even it it did fit however, I probably would not be a big fan for primary carry...I carry IWB almost exclusively, and though I could tuck in my shirt over the rig, I don't. I don't want anything slowing down my draw and presentation of my handgun in the precious seconds that I need. While wearing a longer coat in the cold weather, I have my 605 in a pocket holster in the coat even though the Shield 45 in in my Alien Gear holster IWB on my hip.

If you decide to go this way for primary carry, I would suggest many hours of practice with the unloaded gun pulling the garments away and drawing the weapon.

I suggest a diet of cookies and cheese cake. :D

Reactions: NotSo and Czechbikr

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Consider different holsters for different situations. This type would be suitable if you were carrying while wearing something without a belt. It might suffice for other situations too.

And like Czechbikr recommends, practice a lot no matter which holster you choose. One of the fatalities in the recent Texas church shooting likely was caused when the parishioner had difficulty drawing his weapon.

And welcome from the Sunshine State.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
No personal experience with this belly band but have read decent enough reviews of it (on defensive carry iirc) from those who like this style holster.

I only personally know one person who uses (or has used) a belly band on a regular basis, and they used a Galco to carry a snub when off duty...not sure if she still does as we lost touch years ago.

For the $19 or so price tag this one appears to have, I'd say if it's something you're interested in trying, go for it.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
UP side is that it does allow for a great conceal carry option, as an added benefit, if pulled nice and tight it provides some back support and snugs up the belly.

Downside, would be depending on the shirt style being worn it can make for delayed access in getting the firearm in hand and pointed on target.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought one a few months back. I have carried a Taurus PT-111, Taurus G2C, Taurus .357 Protector Poly, Ruger SP-101 and a Kahr CW-9. The band has worked via well for me when I am carrying in non-permissive environments, have a loose top garment and need deep cover. It works better than the Bianchi belly band that I bought back in the 80's. I specifically looked for something made of neoprene as opposed to elastic. Great retention of the firearm and the spare magazine. I think it is a great value for money.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It looks a lot like my Fulmosa with less features but I also have a cheap one I started off with that's super thin in comparison to this. I also agree you gotta practice with these things since the workings are close to a leather/kydex holter but there is always some random retention device you didn't normally have. re holstering a belly band is also a fun task if you are trying to do this with 1 hand. I use them for deep conceal/backup vs my main EDC. I have tons of guns I may EDC and will just limit to Taurus for the sake of this post. From the makers notes, the deep conceal is the better option. Original puts the snap too low if you are wearing it under shorts like a IWB holster. I can't speak for Velcro life and how it comes out of the washing machine. It's not just a holster, it's an article of clothing that's gonna be sweat bearing. For that reason belly bands have a super short life expectancy over a *Quality leather* or kydex configuration. Per the company this is the life expectancy of it...
The Velcro is rated for 10,000 tears. Many customers have reported the holsters still being in use over a year after purchase. Best, Joe.
My G2 front sight stock barely caught on the bottom edge of the opening to make "all guns fit" on both of my bands but got worse when I put TruGlos on. You would think the longer front sight would make it less of an issue but it still is. My G3 with front sight is also same boat and also has truGLos on the way from LLC. My M605, like 2 of my other guns has that ramp style front sight so it's an easier pull out vs 90* front sight. I originally used it for the sweat pants idea but due to the snag I ended up buying a gun that competes with Taurus Spectrum that's light enough to not pull my sweats/shorts down. As for hot/cold when hot both bothered me a bit and I ended up placing a shirt between it and me. Winter I didn't use it as I need to take too many clothes off to get to it in the car when I go somewhere I can't have a gun. let me finish the scenario, lol there is a reason I don't just leave it on. When you go places to get pat down they freak out just enough to cause a tiny scene. Now here you are publicly trying to explain "YOU LEFT THE GUN THAT WAS INSIDE IT IN THE CAR" THAT EVERYONE SEEN YOU GET OUT OF AND CLEARLY AREN'T GOING TO GO BACK TO FOR QUITE A WHILE. My built in safe is just big enough for 2 of my EDCs and their holsters except the AG 2.0/3.0s in the event I had to also Valet at this pat down area. Gun ownership shouldn't be this difficult I tell ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts