Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought back from the other house today my record collection (maybe 50-60 LPs) and my Technics SL-QL5 Linear Tracking turntable.
Going to get it hooked up today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I do. My dad gave me the player as a house warming gift. I have Elvis, Johnny Cash, Willie and Waylon, Johnny Horton, Don Gibson, Hank Williams, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and some more I'll think of later.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I still have 150 - 200 stashed away and have a Pioneer PL -15 turntable hooked up , just never seem to play any albums any more , what sounded awesome in 1977 just doesn't come through the way it did then, now that I'm digitally spoiled.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Just bought a new TT a couple months ago and love it ! I have my collection from over 25 yrs ago mostly country but some good ole rock .

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a Pioneer, didn't bring it, so don't know the model.
I found the same Technics I have selling on eBay for $156 used.
I'll go through my albums and list a few later.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I do all the time. I've had to make my own belts the last time or so tho.

Sarge

Reactions: Iashoot

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I kept a few, sold some at half priced books a while back. I still have my old Pioneer belt drive.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't, but...........

Someone came in the shop my SIL works in and need work for a trade out.....he got an old, old Victrola wind up phonograph. The thing is big as a washing machine. It works too. Beautiful cabinet. Sound is not great...but its probably like it was supposed to be. I'll bet its a hundred years old.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My dad has a nice collection of vinyl. Three or four milk creates full of stuff from the late 60's through the 80's. Good stuff too IMO. I like the way records sound if they're still in good shape. There is something about the way records sound that is appealing to me. I've heard it described as a "warmer" sound. That's as good a description as any I suppose. CD's have good clarity, but it lacks something, they're too "digital." All of my music is on CD. I sold all of my cassettes and have never regretted it. I would rather listen to records than cassette tapes.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I've got some LP's but no longer have a turntable. Miss listening to them, but buying a turntable is pricey!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I still have several albums and a turntable but don't anything to plug it up to now. Someday I'm going to buy one of those boxes from Radio Shack so I can connect it to the computer and put them on the hard drive.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Every once in a while I'll throw an LP onto the turn table. Stayin' Alive, y'all.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got some LP's but no longer have a turntable. Miss listening to them, but buying a turntable is pricey!!
Check Goodwill, that's where I got mine, if you find one, check for the cartridge and needle, and that it spins the platter.
I paid like $15 or $20 for each one I have.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That could be the problem with mine ,it's probaly 15+ yrs old. What do you use to make your belt's ?
I found a belt that was the right size around and trimmed it down first but it was too darn stiff. I finally ended up with an o ring from a hydraulic cylinder.

Sarge

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a turn table and a bunch of lps and 45's but haven't listened to them in a few years.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
We have quite a stack of LP's, but our stereo doesn't want to drop the records like it should. I have been searching for a new "Automatic turntable" but they are very scarce! I am about ready to take it in to a shop in town and have them try to get it going again. Vinyl records do have a better sound to them than tapes or CD's in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The auto turntables are hard to find now because those are bad for the records.

Sarge

Reactions: Iashoot and Denton

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I cut my "music teeth" in the fifties, so you know I've got a virtual ton of 45's, 78's, and 33 1/3 rpm records.

I do still, occasionally, pull one out and play it every once in a while.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
I have a lot of albums from the 60s and 70s, here in the house. My old Pioneer system is out in the barn, with only the reciever hooked up. I think I'll move the records out there and connect the turntable, and give them a listen sometime. Should bring back some good memories.

It may just be me, but I've always thought vinyl produced a quality you still don't hear today on the more modern devices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts