Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the day has arrived (Merry Christmas, BTW :D) and I'm almost ready to order a new Stag Model 8. I've got a question regarding heavy bullets, so I thought I'd drop it here. What I'm wondering is, how many of you have a 1:9 twist in your .223 and shoot 77 gr bullets through it? Specifically I'm wondering what kind of accuracy you see as compared to 62 gr and 55 gr bullets. I plan to primarily shoot the lighter rounds, but I may want to run some heavier bullets now and again. So what do ya'll think?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
So the day has arrived (Merry Christmas, BTW :D) and I'm almost ready to order a new Stag Model 8. I've got a question regarding heavy bullets, so I thought I'd drop it here. What I'm wondering is, how many of you have a 1:9 twist in your .223 and shoot 77 gr bullets through it? Specifically I'm wondering what kind of accuracy you see as compared to 62 gr and 55 gr bullets. I plan to primarily shoot the lighter rounds, but I may want to run some heavier bullets now and again. So what do ya'll think?
Ruger #1 @ 100m, bypod & shot bags one clover leaf hole for either.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruger #1 @ 100m, bypod & shot bags one clover leaf hole for either.
Thanks for the get back. Did you mean 1 inch at 100m, or do you have more than one Ruger? Also, what kind of ammo where you using?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Thanks for the get back. Did you mean 1 inch at 100m, or do you have more than one Ruger? Also, what kind of ammo where you using?
My Ruger #1, single shot, heavy barrel, bushnel 3X9, chambered for 223 that I bought new in the late '70'S will shoot a 5 shot cloverleaf group at 100m from a benchrest over sand bags. It really don't mater much what premium factory ammo you feed it. Factory or custom reloads with 55 grain spear boattails it is a woodchucks worst nightmare. Out past 200m the groups open up some but it will shoot tighter groups then with the heaver bullets, but boat tails will hold the best groups. I tried some HOT custom reloads with little 45 grain bullets, up close say 50m or so they make wood chucks just explode but they were not so accutate.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
194 Posts
With a 1:9 twist, the heaviest bullet that is recommended is 75gr. I'm sure you can shoot a 77gr bullet but I've loaded some 69gr and had much success! They say you need more twist per inch to stabilize the heavier round, at least a 1:8. By the way, I get great accuracy with my 62gr FMJSCBT rounds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts