Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Well my DPMS lower was apparently made by LAR, don't know much about the company, but I've had no issues in 500 rounds of 5.56 and about 1200 rounds of 22lr with my bolt conversion installed.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Just glad to pick up some new info, this will really help when building the AR i want. Though the upper is usually the biggest price cost in here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought mine from Raptor. The coolest thing about it, is that the serial number is 00700. It is a cnc machined lower, they also make an upper to match.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I had no idea my DPMS lower was made by LAR.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I just bought a colt so that took care of the upper and lower, bad thing about the colt is it will not swap with other lowers because of the pins are different from all the other manufacturers, my 6721 satisfies me well.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My last AR was a colt, but I never liked the screw-in front take-down pin. I made sure I got as close to a milspec setup as I could given gas piston operation this time around. I've got an anti-tilt buffer in it, and if I couldn't remove the front pin I'd never be able to open it. Gotta take 'em both out with that buffer. One of these days I'd like to pickup a 6.5 grendel upper and a lighter trigger - both of which I can do with the Stag. After reading the article and seeing the forge flashings on some units I'm really glad I got a Stag. Not like it makes any functional difference, but now that I know about it, it would have bugged me. The Stag is nice and smooth with some nice machining. Rifle as art and all that. :D

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
Best I can tell, Smith&Wesson. I just bought a M&P 15.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My last AR was a colt, but I never liked the screw-in front take-down pin. I made sure I got as close to a milspec setup as I could given gas piston operation this time around. I've got an anti-tilt buffer in it, and if I couldn't remove the front pin I'd never be able to open it. Gotta take 'em both out with that buffer. One of these days I'd like to pickup a 6.5 grendel upper and a lighter trigger - both of which I can do with the Stag. After reading the article and seeing the forge flashings on some units I'm really glad I got a Stag. Not like it makes any functional difference, but now that I know about it, it would have bugged me. The Stag is nice and smooth with some nice machining. Rifle as art and all that. :D
Yep I am another happy Stag owner. I own a 6.8 SPC left handed model and a carbine piston 5.56 left handed model.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
It says DPMS on it, so I guess DPMS. :D

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Speaking of AR lowers, found this new company going to be doing polymer lowers, here's their youtube channel with afew tourture tests on it NEWFRONTIERARMORY's Channel - YouTube they claim they'll have a fully essembled rifle with magpul furnature and a hard case for 599... in the details of this vid...
sounds interesting if they can deliver. Plus that's an awesome song in that video to :p

Their talking 99 for a complete lower though... as if one AR isn't enough to sink money into now they gotta tempt me with this.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speaking of AR lowers, found this new company going to be doing polymer lowers, here's their youtube channel with afew tourture tests on it NEWFRONTIERARMORY's Channel - YouTube they claim they'll have a fully essembled rifle with magpul furnature and a hard case for 599... in the details of this vid... LW-15 Polymer AR-15 receiver -- Torture Test #3 -- General Strength - YouTube sounds interesting if they can deliver. Plus that's an awesome song in that video to :p

Their talking 99 for a complete lower though... as if one AR isn't enough to sink money into now they gotta tempt me with this.
Not me. They'd have to do a LOT more testing before I went with a polymer lower to save $100. It is an interesting idea, though.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Not me. They'd have to do a LOT more testing before I went with a polymer lower to save $100. It is an interesting idea, though.
Yeah I'm interested I might just drop the coin on one what the heck. It would be more just a backup lightweight gun for my Ruger or something to beat around the bush with, Just a real plain Jane simple lightweight rifle and the SR556 isn't any of those... but I've been eyeing those Bushmaster Carbon 15's with the optic to until I saw one in person... not my cup of tea, this at least looks abit better but who knows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine's an Olympic Arms, cal. .223. I've had no problems besides crappy Monarch ammo from Academy. A 7.62x39 conversion would be awesome, and a new flat-top upper.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the other question I have is, how much lighter can it really be? Conventional lowers are made out of aluminum, which is already pretty darn light. Then you've got the A2 extension that was beefed up from the original A1 design, and I'm wondering if polymer would be strong enough in that location. And if you've got direct impingement you've got an awful lot of heat added to the equation. I wonder how well their polymer holds up to heat.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Well thats the thing I think if polymers are done right it can potentially be stronger if anything guess it depends on the polymer their using if its some kinda high quality stuff like ruger uses a glass filled nylon with steel blocks on the SR9 for example. Basically I'm always looking for excuses to buy another toy though =P I certainly don't need one by any stretch of the imagination though some rifle like this I wouldn't care if it gets banged and scratched up to ya know. They have I think 3 torture tests up so far and while I'd rather see one in person I think this lower will work out pretty well. I know other companys have tried polymer lowers with mixed results though. These two tests actually impress me alot more then the "let's play catch with an AR" vid I posted this morning.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
CMT - I have an RRA, and by the way, love it. 22" floating bull barrel, coyote upper, NM 2 stage trigger, 3-9 Leupold. Accurate, never a problem in around 5000 rounds.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well thats the thing I think if polymers are done right it can potentially be stronger if anything guess it depends on the polymer their using if its some kinda high quality stuff like ruger uses a glass filled nylon with steel blocks on the SR9 for example. Basically I'm always looking for excuses to buy another toy though =P I certainly don't need one by any stretch of the imagination though some rifle like this I wouldn't care if it gets banged and scratched up to ya know. They have I think 3 torture tests up so far and while I'd rather see one in person I think this lower will work out pretty well. I know other companys have tried polymer lowers with mixed results though. These two tests actually impress me alot more then the "let's play catch with an AR" vid I posted this morning.

LW-15 Polymer AR-15 receiver -- Torture Test #1 -- Fire Control Group - YouTube

LW-15 Polymer AR-15 receiver -- Torture Test #2 -- Receiver Strength - YouTube
Here's the thing about that second stress test - they were measuring the deflection, but made no mention of how much pressure it took to achieve that deflection. It looked to me like the polymer started to deflect more quickly, but snapped back to it's original shape. You've also got to ask yourself how you would encounter this type of crushing in the real world - unless you accidentally dropped your rifle under a truck. I would have been more impressed if they'd done the crush test on the receiver extension and measure force required for failure as opposed to deflection. But it was still an interesting test.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts