Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That refinishing a firearm could be so easy and affordable.

Here's a before and after picture of my RIA Tactical. I'd post more pictures but they aren't coming out right. Something is wrong with my camera settings.

You can't tell from the picture but the finish is like looking into a pitch black mirror.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's another one of my projects, I do all my own work. This 1911 was sanded with 1000 grit sandpaper then 2000 grit, then polished to a mirror finish using a compound for soft metals. I then washed all the parts in hot soapy water before I dipped them into my bluing solution. I'd say I spent about $8 on sand paper $5 on the polishing compound and $70 everything else I needed. This is the third handgun I've refinished so the cost would probably be well under $30 per hand gun.

Here's a link for the bluing instructions.
http://www.guntechtips.com/bluing/bluing.htm

· Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Very nice finish!

· Registered
15,654 Posts
Good job. Looks great.

· Super Moderator
20,209 Posts
If any mod could change the title to, "who" I'd appreciate it.
Done. And very nice finish. I have a RIA 1911 too and it don't look anywhere as nice with the original finish . . .

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is the best I could do with the pictures, I think the problem is not the camera but the lighting in my room. Also, for those interested in refinishing their own firearms, the hardest part is finding the right fertilizer. I ended up buying if from a gardening shop on Amazon.

These are my two handguns that I've refinished. My pt1911 has a flat black or satin look to it because all I did was bead blast it. I've also blued the slide and metal parts of a co workers Ruger p89, needles to say that he was very happy with the results.

· Registered
867 Posts
Wow! Both styles of blued finish (the bead blasted and the high-polish) are pretty awesome. Nice work! :rating10: Thanks for posting the pics and info. I may have to try my hand at this sometime in the future. It sounds like the bath is pretty nasty stuff during the mixing part, but with results like yours, it would definitely be worth dealing with.

· Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all. I thought I'd share this find because for a long time I was wanting to try a hot blue that was affordable. Just remember to wear the specified safety equipment and do this outside.

· Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Great Job!

BTW if your camera has a setting with a flower image. That is for close ups. You might try that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.