Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so as I read all over the net one gets bombarded with all the bad of the the PT-Whatever Millennium Pro pistols. Now as many are sure to agree much of the bad on the net should only be taken with a grain of salt since as a society we only tend to harp on the bad and not mention the good. I just purchased a PT-145 3rd gen as a CCW piece because the price was absolutely right and I want to like the gun because of the impressive features it has that other guns of this size and style just don't have. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm really hoping it serves me well. With that said Id like to hear those who have had good experiences with the gun. Lord knows all the bad is every where so I just would like to have my spirits lifted up with some of the good. Even with the attitude I have regarding the net and some of the poor info you get from it I still find myself second guessing my purchase. The range will truly be the deciding factor but hell I'm human! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had great luck with my PT145. I've only had a chance to put 200 rounds through it so far, but I'm heading to the range again on Monday and bringing 300-400 rounds with me this time.

The only thing that is starting to get to me is the reports of very poor customer service that I keep reading about. The PT145 is the only gun I own, and I don't plan on buying anymore. Regardless of how durable a gun is, something is bound to eventually break or need repair, and I really don't want to be sending it back to Taurus and having them keep it for a few months.

The PT145 fits my hand better than any gun I've ever owned, and I have owned everything from Glocks, HK's, Sig's, HS2000's, and some more I can't remember now.

I really like the very rough grip texture. You could oil the grip, and with the texture on the Mil Pro, it still won't slip or slide. The HK USP's also have the same texturing but otherwise did nothing for me.

My PT145 is extremely accurate and very controllable. Being that I'm so cheap, I just take paper plates with me to the range, and I can easily rapide fire a ten round mag into a nice little grouping.
In all of my 200 rounds so far, I've never put a shot outside the plate, from distances of 7-20 yards, slow or rapid fire.

At the end of 200 rounds, my hands were not fatigued at all, because the recoil is actually very mild.
I only wished I had more ammo with me that first time out.

Overall, out of all the guns I've owned, I would say without doubt the PT145 is the best gun I've owned, and is definitely the best value.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I went and bought one today, the guy before me was buying one, and three people behind me were buying one. So either we're all just stupid, or the nay sayers are wrong! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drewbacca said:
When I went and bought one today, the guy before me was buying one, and three people behind me were buying one. So either we're all just stupid, or the nay sayers are wrong! ;)
Like I said the net can misleading. This is why I bit the bullet and bought one to try my self.

·
32,481 Posts
If one was to search the many forums here or elsewhere, one would come across many small threads that have satisfied users despite "Conventional Wisdom" to the contrary. The High Road and The Firing Line forums come to mind.

Even the bashers and malcontents that have been spewing their vitriol have had the actual users parrying these thrusts and seeing that the truth is told. Happening more and more.

As posted in other threads here and at various forums( by guess who?), Taurus in 2005 won three prestigious awards across the whole of the gun industry as well as several from the NRA.

Companies have put out quality products and have good service to get these awards. These are not easy awards to accumulate. Competition is fierce.

I do have a PT111 Mil/pro and have nothing but excellent service from it.

A lot of the problems are usually related to getting experience with the gun or operator error. Those are easy to fix. Time, practice, mentoring by others, change of gripping the gun, and experience take care of these.

Mechanical problems are dealt with here daily and simple fixes or minor things that need to be changed are. Staff and knowledgeable members see to this.

More serious ones need factory or gunsmith attention.

If you will notice there are also those who claim to have extensive problems and then are shown up to be frauds, liars, and cheats. There is a board here for just such things.

The staff and members have receptive minds for positive and negative things. Stuff happens.

A majority of the members here can line up and tell one their positive experiences. There have been many of these in the Pistols and Revolver boards. Many are in the archives as well of one is wiling to do the research and read up on these.

Yes there can be problems. But with all mechanical devices and tools, things will break, wear out, or need replacing.

Staff and members also need to gain experience and get to know the parameters and capabilities of their guns behavior and performance.

So there is more here than meets the eye or supposition.

Find the gun that fits you directly and your needs.Then practice with it and gain the knowledge to use it as well as the guns capabilities.

It has more to do with the person behind the gun, than the actual tool itself.

The right tool that will actually be needed for the job at hand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The first Taurus Millenium Pro pistol I bought was a PT111 in stainless steel slide. It was flawless after a few hundred rounds when I decided to get the PT140 also in stainless. That too has been flawless. When the 3rd generation Millenium pistols came out, I bought the PT145Pro. You can call it luck or whatever but all three guns are reliable with no hiccups at all. I have not experienced any FTF or FTE's. I trust my life with any of my PT Millenium Pro pistols, 2nd gen or 3rd gen. I give them all equal carry time! ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
To date my PT111 has been more reliable than my S&W SW9VE. Conventional wisdom is just that, "conventional", and convention has a tendency to resist change. Taurus had maybe a few bad years and there are those not willing to forget. The best way to know what gun is for you is to go out and shoot it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own a PT111 Mil. Pro. with stainless slide. After around 400 rounds through it, I can finally hit accurately with it. Only two jams and that was the first day I owned it. A little oil fixed that. Like it very much. Had probelm with recoil spring coming through front. Got it fixed finally and am still very happy with it. Would recommend it to anyone who wants a good gun at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have had no problems with my PT-145 Mil Pro Second edition. It has over 4000 rounds through it and has never failed to cycle or eject empty rounds. I had one WWB 230gr fail to fire. so I put it into my Wilson Combat 1911, failed there too, lastly tried the same round in my XD45......dead as a doorknob. I have a deal going where I am trading another gun I have and dont shoot for another PT-145 Mil Pro Second Edition, but this one has the stainless slide.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've read on other threads elsewhere people complaining about the takedown pins breaking when using +p ammo in the 111. In the manual it states not to use anything beyond [email protected] and specifically not to use +p. I have a feeling that a lot of the problems we hear about may be along these lines and not the fault of the weapon itself.
My 2nd gen 111 has been perfect. But I don't overload it either and keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I have had my PT145 for about six months. I've put well over 1000 rounds through it. I have found what it likes, and doesn't like... the only load it had a hard time digesting was a 230 gr flat nosed lswc... but it loves the 185 gr loads either full house or light. The only issue I had was that my hold produced shoots low on the target. I replaced the front sight with a fiber optic .150 height (original is .200) and now the gun shoots dead on and the front sight is fantastic.

I have found the PT145 to be easily concealable. I have smaller guns, but in a "tuckable" or belly band, the gun disappears. As easy as my wife's Bersa .380.

You will find that if you look for something to gripe about, you will usually find it. However, if you understand that with guns, 80-90% of the problems are people problems... either holding, shooting or understanding how to keep their gun clean.

Good luck... you'll find many hours of good shooting with this gun... and a .45 is a very comforting caliber!

·
Registered
625 Posts
No probems with my Mil Pro 3rd generation PT145.

Todd

·
32,481 Posts
Locobombero. Went over to THR and TFL forums and dropped a beauty on them on your threads there. Has to do with Taurus and the prestigious awards that Taurus has received in 2005 on. These were awarded by the shooting industry as a whole and the NRA.

Proves that Taurus is putting out quality products and service. The bashers and trolls are forgetting that completely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Qwiksdraw
Yes I read that and it brought a grin to my face! Thanks all for the input. I made these posts cause i wanted both sides of the argument. Too many times a person asks for opinions either way and unsuported bashing starts causing the thread to be counter productive. Seems to hapent reguardeless of the gun make you aska about. Obviously I was impressed enough to buy the gun based on features but was bombarded with the unpositive from the net. I'll be heading out here in a couple days to shoot the mil. pro and will give some feed back.

·
32,481 Posts
Will be glad for any feedback.
Most people forget that break in periods are about working the kinks out and having parts getting broken in like a car engine.No hard use for a while until the engine gets used to what is going on and gets to its working order. Same for the pistol.

Owners are getting used to the gun as well. Any number of problems have been just making small adjustments in the way the gun is held or shot.

So one range report this weekend. 50,000 words or less and on Flyer's desk by 0600 hours on Tuesday. ;D Not really. :) We're still looking to locate his virtual desk. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a Pro 111 Friday at Cabela's. Took it to the range and put about 200rds through it. Had a few FTF's but by the last 4 mags no problems. Straight 8 sights are a little weird to me. That will change with more rounds. It's smaller and lighter than the Glock 19 I was carrying. It was only $344.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think the MilPro package is about one of the best CCW pieces out there right now in any caliber and the other gun companies are probably taking notice. It won't be long before Taurus gets the reputation they deserve. Of all the Taurus owners I know, there have been very very few that have anything bad to say about them.
I'd like to see Taurus put out a gun similar to the new Springer EMP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts