Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found in the two odd years I've been carrying that a horizontal shoulder rig solves certain dilemmas IWB carry cant fix , insofar as my particular body type goes. Think 30" waistline, which naturally deprives me of the option to carry spare magazines. Even a single stack mag looks like a copy of the Holy Bible under my shirt. My Miami Classic holster permits me the ability to carry two spares and the weapon without being stopped by a retail loss prevention employee, and I've practiced my draw enough to get the gun out efficiently under stress. Having access to an outdoor , isolated range helps with this part of things. All that being said, who else here employs this carry method ?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Try the Packing Tee and any snap type shirts. This works for me! When you need your gun in a hurry, then you use your left hand to open your shirt quickly while grabbing your gun with your right hand. No miss, works every time!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I occasionally carry in an Uncle Mikes horizontal shoulder rig. Mostly if I'm just running out to pick up the wife, or down to
the corner store. Although I much prefer OWB, shoulder carry does have it's place in my normal routine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
All the time! Miami classic----- Kangaroo carry------ abetter holster .com shirt! Works for me! Depends on the weather and dress. Also carry open or in a IWB also !

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Who makes a good shoulder holster due to to fast food and the ocaisional cold beer over the years i am starting to consider this as well course my wife as other ideas such as diet

jhp

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
I use a ProTech Outdoors vertical shoulder rig for my Judge Mag.

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
I have a small horizontal SH that I wear with "baggy" shirts. I always wear an undershirt, so the holster is never against bare skin. It's for a revolver, so reloads are always on a strip clip in my back pocket.

Reactions: sargedog

·
Registered
95 Posts
All the time! Miami classic----- Kangaroo carry------ abetter holster .com shirt! Works for me! Depends on the weather and dress. Also carry open or in a IWB also !
I second the Kangaroo carry and holster shirt/packing tee. I have to wear a jacket with a shoulder rig, which I do wear under a suit on occasion. The Kangaroo carry conceals a big gun amazingly well on my fat body.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have Galco Miami Classics for the guns they make them for...think about 5 shoulder rigs. All have ammo pouches on the opposite side. One of my first revolvers was a S&W 5 shot 642. Finally decided a second 642 would be faster than a reload so one of my Galco shoulder rigs has two 642 holsters. I 6'0" and fat at 260 so shoulder rigs work for me.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I too always were a under shirt, I don't like the gun on skin feel either. I sometimes use a nylon shoulder rig with my PT-145, it has a pouch on the other side for 1 extra mag. The one I have is a great little holster, I can't find a name on it. I went through a couple before I found this one, most have the strap that comes across the bottom of the neck. I found those were very uncomfortable for me, and if it's not comfortable most people won't use them.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I've tried shoulder holsters before, but always felt like they dragged the neck of my shirt sideways, so I never put much effort into adjusting or 'wearing in' a rig.

For those of you who do carry in a shoulder holster, is that something you deal with, the holster carrier can be adjusted for, etc?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I always liked the idea of shoulder carry but never found one that fit me comfortably.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've tried shoulder holsters before, but always felt like they dragged the neck of my shirt sideways, so I never put much effort into adjusting or 'wearing in' a rig.

For those of you who do carry in a shoulder holster is that something you deal with, the holster carrier can be adjusted for, etc?
Indeed the shoulder rig must be properly adjusted with the gun as high to the armpit as possible.With the gun outside of the holster it has to be adjusted in such a way that the "spider " needs to be slightly right of center. The mistake I made and others still do is adjusting the holster to be centered and THEN putting the gun in it.The pistol weighs more then the magazines in the opposite side ,so it migrates off center as you wear it

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I always liked the idea of shoulder carry but never found one that fit me comfortably.
Yup, me too. If I could find one that was comfortable for me and my 1911....

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I've used an Uncle Mike's Horizontal rig off and on for 15 years. I'll second the adjustment necessity. It's not for everyday use for me, but does come in handy at times.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
On the rare occasions I need to use a shoulder holster it's a circa 1970's Bianchi X-15.
I had one for a S&W 5906 I used to own. Great holster!

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I've never used one, but if I could find the shoulder rig used by Sean Connery in the early James Bond films I would ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I only use a shoulder rig when I'm traveling ..... I find it more convenient and comfortable on those looonnnnggg trips :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts