Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay for all those who were raised on corn.

Do you eat "sweet" corn or what some call "field" corn- or do you know the difference?
I was raised on corn in the Mississippi Delta. 3 things we saw in the fields- cotton, soy beans, and corn.
I never saw sweet corn until I left home, the only corn it the grocery store was canned-and it was sweet.
My point here is what happened to corn? The only corn I can find- even at the farmer's market is sweet, either silver king or queen. But never any corn that is not sweet. We either boiled our corn on the cob, or cut it off and fried it in butter with salt and pepper -never ever did anyone dare to put sugar in it.
How about the rest of you...did you ever eat field corn (usually yellow) that was not sweet?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Grew up in Ohio. We ate lots of local sweet corn. From what I'm hearing it is getting hard to find.

If I had to guess it's because of the bio fuel craze. More sugar more fuel. Unsastainable fuel if you ask me. But I don't want to get political.

Living in SC now. Sweet yellow corn impossible to find. Only white and white yellow. Can't stand the white. Usually very gummy/starchy.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
We always ate the corn we grew, always put several rows out when I was a kid. But now I'm grow just buy whatever at the local farmers market.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, maybe too much info in my question.

Does anyone eat, or have eaten corn that is "not" sweet?
Plain field corn has an excellent flavor, but it now impossible to find.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I don't know the difference. I just buy ears of corn with the husks still on them at the grocery store. I throw them on the grill with the husks still on a cook 'em 'til I can smell the juices. The corn has a light sweetness to it if cooked thoroughly. I guess that makes it sweet corn. :???:

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
I remember eating field corn, that my mom, or grandmother would pick while it was still growing and it was excellent, and the taste was to me as good as any store bought corn you can find today.

Of course, I have not had any of it since the late 1950's.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I've "borrowed" a few ears of field corn when it was ready. LOL I don't can it, takes a good bit of space to grow it. I prefer crops like okra that any idiot can raise, makes in HOT weather and is somewhat tolerant to dry spells. Tomatoes, okra, and various bean crops, squash, I like squash. Corn is ready when it's ready and after that, you either can it or give it away cause unless you want to grind it for meal, it's over fast as it matures. So, I've never been a big corn raiser/eater.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Whatever corn flakes is made of....... actually sweet corn, field corn was used for livestock.

·
Registered
614 Posts
TheBrasilian said:
Grew up in Ohio. We ate lots of local sweet corn. From what I'm hearing it is getting hard to find.

If I had to guess it's because of the bio fuel craze. More sugar more fuel. Unsastainable fuel if you ask me. But I don't want to get political.

Living in SC now. Sweet yellow corn impossible to find. Only white and white yellow. Can't stand the white. Usually very gummy/starchy.
i live in southeren ohio and the local roadside farmer stand usually has his silver oueen already but have not seen any yet

·
Registered
84 Posts
I eat field corn every year. Normally dekalb, but you gotta get it while it's still growin. There is about a 2 week span where it's real good. After that it's too hard to eat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
grew up eatin' "corn with dents"(field corn), found out about a year ago it is a variety grown for feed.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I didn't phrase the question plainly.

When I was growing up out in the country (Miss), sweet corn was not common, and really was undesirable to many. Most of us thought sweet corn was too much like candy- not food. Now days...sweet corn (many varieties), is all that can be found. I guess most corn today is "engineered" to have a high sugar content for several reasons. It is always very sweet- but not necessarily good.

Yes, it may have had several names. It was used for feed (animals) and food. The main point was- it was definitely not sweet at all.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Corn ! I'm totally surrounded by it LOL , we always had sweet corn, but you can find any kind of corn you want around here , yes it's heavily engineered for various purpose's, a major business around here, starch , ethanol , seed , feed ......

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Corn, love corn sweet corn, corn on the cob, corn kabob, corn with rice, corn with potatoes, corn with anything. Love corn with mashed poatatoes

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know exactly what your talking about but I never ate "dent" or "cow"corn, only sweet corn. In fact untill I read your post it never occured to me to try it! I can't imagine where one would buy "cow" or "feild" corn to eat. The only place I know to get it would be right out of the field. Which I may try. ;D

·
Registered
366 Posts
use to eat field corn all the time in Illinois but is only about 2 weeks that it is any good. Use to check all the farmers fields to see when the corn was ready and the watermelon and pumkins

·
Registered
844 Posts
My uncles and aunts both lived in Ohio, near Akron so getting fresh grown corn was always easy when we went to visit. In California, we always had some local farm that had fresh grown vegetables, including corn. I don't really know the difference personally, but the yellow corn was always very tasty. I seldom saw white corn.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Yes, I have eaten field corn but not as table fare. Only when out working or hunting as a snack from soft kernals right up through time to pick. Never even heard of a person eating field corn for a meal.
Growing up we had lots of field corn but grew sweet corn for us, so did my grand parents, great grand parents and probably before that. I have a good size garden with plenty of sweet corn to eat fresh and freeze, along with other vegies to eat all year long.

You guys do some funny stuff down south. ;D

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Back home in Northeast Texas, we grew both. Sweet corn was for us and field corn was for the livestock -mostly horses.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
brojohn said:
Okay, maybe too much info in my question.

Does anyone eat, or have eaten corn that is "not" sweet?
Plain field corn has an excellent flavor, but it now impossible to find.
Yes, out of the garden, on the grill of boiled for corn on the cobb. I love plain yellow corn that pulled before it gets too hard. We eat sweet corn too but I always plant a few rows of yellow of some kind.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts