Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 60 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The safest place for my handgun is in a level 2 holster on my belt. No one can steal or mess with it when I carry it. A handgun is part of my pants in one form or another (945 or TCP).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The way my apartment is set up I can put it in an open dresser drawer in the bedroom and still have almost instant access to if from the living room and kitchen. The main reason I don't actually have it on me at the house is because I don't have a holster that makes it comfortable enough to carry for more than three to four hours at a time. Hopefully that will change when I get my Thies holster

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Until SC changes the law (hopefully early next year to permit-less carry) one cannot have a weapon in the vehicle without a CWP.
There are 3 exceptions.
Going to or from the range.
Going to or from the GS. (Taking it in for sale or repair and bringing home a new purchase or repair)
Moving from one home to another.
At least that's how I interpret the current law.
You have been misinformed. You may legally carry in your vehicle, CWP or not. The weapon can be loaded, it just needs to be in a console, glovebox, saddlebag, something with a closure and it doesn't have to lock.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I too have a first line of defense my doberman after they come through a locked door he will greet them with a big toothy smile, which will give me plenty of time to get to a gun if he hasnt already done them in
I'm a big fan of the Doberman Security System.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Oh, and since I started this thing, I always have a revolver in my pocket while at home. After all, it has been proven that 100% of home invasions happen at home.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Right in front of my keyboard as I type this, Bucky is right behind me.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
You have been misinformed. You may legally carry in your vehicle, CWP or not. The weapon can be loaded, it just needs to be in a console, glovebox, saddlebag, something with a closure and it doesn't have to lock.
Let's see.
I think this is the section you are referencing.

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.
(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

But now the following section says:

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee’s person and a location specified in item (9);

To me this means a permit is needed to have it in my vehicle, and since it must be secured, that means concealed.

And:

(14) a person engaged in firearms related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

It is somewhat convoluted and confusing.
I would rather err on the side of caution and not carry it in my vehicle unless I'm going to or from the range or GS until I get my CWP.
You may be right and I may be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
I may not always carry a gun, but I always have a knife on me.
I'm scared of knives. I am not trained to use one. I'm a very good shot with a handgun. And, anyway, I never ever bring a knife to a gun fight. A guy that assaulted me did, once. I never had to shoot. Last I saw of him was the bottoms of his shoes as he ran down a side alley. :D If he hadn't taken that escape round, I'd have shot him. Like I say, knives scare me. They're great tools for skinning and butchering, though. I do own a few. :D

Oh, btw, in addition to two firearms and once in a while, 3, I also carry a can of pepper spray, just in case some drunk wants to fist fight. I don't find fist fighting fun anymore and my joints snap when I move. I still carry a pretty good right cross, though. My carry knife is a leatherman tool. It's not exactly one of those tacticool spring knives. I made a Tandy leather kit leatherman sheath which also has a mini mag flashlight carry on it. The leatherman came with a very bright little one AA cell flashlight that is only about as heavy as the battery and has a switch. It's a pretty cool tacticool light and I have it on me all the time, now. There's a lot of stuff on my belt, though.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
100% of home time except when in bed or watching TV (my family room furniture is leather and the metal clip on my holster mars surface). I keep a shotgun next to bed and two .45 acp pistols on night stand. Another 12 gauge in the closet and a .22 Ruger pistol in a dresser drawer. Now that my younger son is back home, he carries his new Glock 23 and keeps his SKS, Rem 870, and SA 1911 in his closet.

Reactions: hydrashock

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one! My firearm is always within reach. If I'm watching tv in the living room, it's beside me on the side table or coffee table. When I'm in the shower, it's in the towel closet which is within arms length. I don't feel like I'm being paranoid, but prepared. I refuse to be denied the chance to defend my family if needed, even if the chances are small that the situation ever presents itself.

I carry at church, dinner out with friends, and most recently at a wedding. But to stay on topic, I "carry" at home always, even if I'm out in the yard raking, mowing, whatever. My PT145 stays out of sight and ready if needed!

Reactions: hydrashock and ozzy

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
Man, I know who's house to rob when they ain't home, now. Having had 2 robberies in the past of my home, I don't leave guns laying around. I used to keep 'em in a false wall I built in my bedroom, but I've moved, so I need to do something beyond arm the burglar alarm when we leave. I'm going to get a good gun safe soon as I can afford a good one. Probably be a little over a year from now.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Virtually always have one on me. If not my EDC KelTec P-11, it's the p3AT for dress-up when I can't carry the P-11. Often have the recently-acquired PT-92AFS in the studio with me also, but it is a bit on the largish side for carry.

The PT-92 is also about to become the "bedside-companion". 17+1 rather much outdoes 10+1 for that duty.

Flash

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yep.

You can't plan when you'll need it and it seems like at home is where a lot of people do.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Man, I know who's house to rob when they ain't home, now. Having had 2 robberies in the past of my home, I don't leave guns laying around. I used to keep 'em in a false wall I built in my bedroom, but I've moved, so I need to do something beyond arm the burglar alarm when we leave. I'm going to get a good gun safe soon as I can afford a good one. Probably be a little over a year from now.
I know what you mean, I live in a very low crime area, as times have changed criminals have changed. I do not leave anything of value laying around any more and always have a gun on me.

10 years ago every house in the neighborhood was unlocked 24/7 some people did not even have keys any more. In the past year some one has opened the front door to come in on two seperate occasions I am guessing thinking no one was home as there was no car in the driveway. The second time was just a minute after my wife left to go to the store. He must have been watching the area looking for open doors. I thought my wife forgot something, I came around the corner and he was just stepping into the house. He came within seconds of being shot, as I pulled my gun he bugged out. Cops never did catch him he had a 5 min head start. Now the doors stay locked all the time.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
When I get in from work, a handgun goes in my pocket or is strapped to my side...

41 - 60 of 291 Posts