Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the 85UL to the range this morning.

Finding the the sights get lost in the black center of the target when aiming.

Anyone else have this problem? Does putting white out on the front sight help?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I had the same problem regardless of whether the guns were blued, black, or stainless. Painting the front sight a contrasting color and using a different contrasting color on the rear channel helps tremendously. Google "Claude Werner Sights" for more information. Claude also has a video on snub nose revolvers that is very good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My Remington 380 had low profile sights milled into the slide. It was hard to get a quick alignment. I bought red and white acrylic paint pens and painted the rear white and the front red. The pens cost about $3 each. The acrylic paint can be removed with rubbing alcohol. I sold the gun last week and never too a photo of it. The paint holds up well and does not flake. I am certain it would,be better that white out.

Reactions: EdinGeorgia

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem regardless of whether the guns were blued, black, or stainless. Painting the front sight a contrasting color and using a different contrasting color on the rear channel helps tremendously. Google "Claude Werner Sights" for more information. Claude also has a video on snub nose revolvers that is very good.
I just looked that over briefly and bookmarked it. Good information there...….. Thanks.

I found that I I moved the 85 and set up my sight picture on the white area of the target, I could move back to the dark area and make a much better shot.

Even without proper sight alignment, I was getting enough rounds into the dark area, and just outside, that if I had to use the 85 for self defense I would put some serious hurt on whoever was on the business end of the 85.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Remington 380 had low profile sights milled into the slide. It was hard to get a quick alignment. I bought red and white acrylic paint pens and painted the rear white and the front red. The pens cost about $3 each. The acrylic paint can be removed with rubbing alcohol. I sold the gun last week and never too a photo of it. The paint holds up well and does not flake. I am certain it would,be better that white out.
Thanks. I'll look into the Acrylic Paint Pens.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've had good luck with both the white and gold versions of Sharpie permanent markers, fine tip version. Degrease the area before applying. Sometimes powder will cover the white if you fire a number of rounds, the sharpie makes it easy for a quick "refresh" at the range if needed.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I used to use Testors paint on my sights, then I went to nail polish. Now-a-days I prefer to not color the sights.
To me as I got older the painted sights glow and have a halo (for lack of a better word) around the sights, making them blurry, particularly the front. It makes it impossible to accurately aim the gun.
A side note, my old pistol silhouette gun (a customized XP 100 in 708 Remington) has a Lyman 17A front sight on it. A hooded front sight you can change the insert on.The width of the post or the I.D. of the ring or even a translucent orange with a clear center. I preferred the narrowest post available because at 200 meters the Ram target was none to big and I preferred to shoot the feet out from under the target to assure that it would fall, otherwise it didn't count.

What I'm trying to say is that colored sights have their own problems. Having said that, you should probably go with a dark red or bronze color.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used some white touch-up paint from my car on the front sight and a black sharpie marker to color the rear sight area. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use nail polish on mine. Red applied over a base coat of white on the rear; yellow on the front. My focus is on the front sight when shooting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have used White Out on my front sights for 30+ years.

Cheap, easy, effective. Make a mistake and it comes right off with rubbing alcohol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts