Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raging Bull .454 5" SS

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding what Taurus to get for my next gun. I would liek to have them all at some point but can only get one at a time. :-[

Anyways, I'm down to PT1911 SS, PT 917 CS and Raging Bull .454 5in stainless. ;D I already have and reload for 9mm and .45ACP so not sure if getting the a new and expensive caliber like .454 would be a good thing...

Just wondering what you guys think... 8)

·
Administrator
39,480 Posts
Well, of the three I voted 1911, cause I ain't got one. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I also voted 1911. They're cool. I've only heard how guys hate to shoot the 454. The ones for sale have hardly been shot, and I think I know why. I'd suggest renting one and run a hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a relaoder I don’t think it would be a problem for me; I could also shoot .45Colt in it... Plus RB handes the recoil VERY well..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I also voted for the PT1911. I love mine and know you would like it too. To be honest though, if you had included "all the above" as one of the choices I would have checked that instead.

·
32,496 Posts
Pros and cons time. :)
PT1911 is a fine gun. Con: if you have to shoot it with gloved hands, yes I was paying attention to where you live, SA pistols and regular DAO pistols that don't have a generous trigger sized guard are going to make shooting impossible or darn close to it.

917 has the generous trigger guard as opposed to what the PT1911 has.

Got to try them out with gloves on to see for oneself. Some may be able to get away with it. Thicker the glove the more material to get caught and keeping the trigger from cycling the way it's supposed to.

On the other hand SA pistols are easy to use and consistant trigger pull for each shot.

Con: SA pistols make an unintentional discharge more likely with the very light trigger pull under great stress and duress. Gross fine motor skills are gone for the most part. Happens and has been documented thoroughly by the gun instructors around the world.

.45 ACP= good defense cartridge. :)
9mm.=good defense cartridge. Lighter recoil,easy on the shooter and pocket book.Thus the 917.

Pro:.454 Casull can shoot the .45 Colt loadings as well as the powerful .454 rounds.

Do you really have a need for the .454 or is it a fun gun to have more than a percieved need?

I figure Gray_Wolf that you have most of this all ready thought out, but am putting all this out there for others as well to consider. :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i gotta go for the 917, just like the 92 but smaller.

did'nt say if you would use it for SD/HD but personally i like 9mm for a SD/HD round, i'd choose it over a .45acp for it's capacity & milder recoil, but it still has enough punch to be effective.

you say you are reloading but 9mm should still be cheaper if it's just gonna be used for range.

9mm is a well balance pistol round imo.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
As much as I love revolvers, I also went with the PT1911.

.45 ACP is relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to .454 Casull ammo. And since you reload for the .45 Auto already, why not? :D

I apparently pitched the PT1911 so well to Bountyhunter on www.rugerforum.net, he went out and got one the other day. Smart guy! ;D

http://www.rugerforum.net/showthread.php?p=79522#post79522

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you really have a need for the .454 or is it a fun gun to have more than a percieved need?
Here up North paper targets are pretty tough and only get angry when you shoot them with 9mm or .45 :p...OK I just want a Raging Bull with a 5in barrel, and the .454 is the only option.

About the PT917; looks like it would be tough to get one here; since they come with hi cap mags and I can't have anything over 10 rrounds :( I guess I can pay one of the dealers here to import one for me and pin the mags....but it would be expensive and the paperwork would take some time...

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i see, to bad you can't have hi-cap mags cause that really takes the teeth out of 9mm's,

i still like 9mm for it's recoil to stopping power.. in this case i'd go with the 1911 then, 8rnds of 45 vs 10 rnd of 9mm.. i guess i'd go with the .45

·
32,496 Posts
Is it possible that the 911 or PT92 mags would fit the 917? If so there are 10 rounders to be had. 911 is the 917s cousin.

Wasn't sure how much you'd have a need for a .454 Casull, but your right. Anything in that neck of the woods and plains is goinng to be big, tough, and down right naaaasty.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I voted for the 1911, but I am in a recoil kind of mood and I really hope you go for the 454. just be sure the front sight doesn't get embedded in your forehead........

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Is it possible that the 911 or PT92 mags would fit the 917? If so there are 10 rounders to be had. 911 is the 917s cousin.
i think so but im not a 100% sure 911/909 mags are the same as the 917

but i know 917 and 92/99 mags are exactly the same.. infact newly manufactured mags say 92/99/917 on them.

but you're stuck with a full size combat pistol with crappy capacity realative to it's caliber/size

someone was selling 10rnders for the 92/99/917's in classified actually.. good price on them too.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Well, of the three I voted 1911, cause I ain't got one.
+1 on that ..Smokewagon..lol

Graywolf... sounds like a tough decision :rolleyes:..Glad I aint you..lol
I sure do like the 1911 thought, and i will have one one day...
Plus you are set up to reload .45 , sounds like you would be good to go ;)

·
21,932 Posts
Can't vote. Ain't fair. I have the 917 and I will be putting a pt1911 on layaway soon.
If you like the pt92/99 Your gonna love the 917. More balanced with the shorter barrel
and if you get the CS its just a good lookin firearm. The CS lets you get your bling on.

The pt1911 is quickly becoming on of the best selling models. I think Taurus hit a home run with it. If Ayoob likes it you will like it..

Don't take this wrong but I am a Super Redhawk guy. Raging Bull is not on my list. Nothing
bad to say about it just into different revolvers.

·
32,496 Posts
Well don't just sit there guy. Get a going. Run, don't walk to the gun store. ;D :eek: :rolleyes: :) ;) Just joshing folks. If I ran to the store the oxygen bottle would be sucked dry in seconds. :D

If you get the PT1911 give us a range report.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
And if you get the 454 be sure to tell us how many phone books it will decimate at one time..... :shooter:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
;DHey, it is a tough decision... but looks like it will be a 1911
Glad we could help with this crucial decision Gray_Wolf. :p

I'm guessing the factory grips will be going buh-bye in favor of something else or nyet?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts