Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Since I haven't kept up with the many, many, Taurus offerings, I was wondering if someone could give me a quick list of which pistols are similar in shape and size to the .380acp PT-638, for the benefit of me finding a suitable IWB holster for it.

From info. gathered here on the site and yahoo images, I noticed the pistols below are similar in appearance:

Taurus PT-609
Taurus PT-111 (no rail)
Taurus PT-140 (no rail)
Taurus PT-145 (thicker, overall)

I've read that the PT-145 is thicker, due to chambering, and even though the PT-111 and PT-140 look very similar to the PT-638, they both lack the dust cover rail; all factors which may cause compatibility issues. I've found one, and only one, post from a PT-638 user who says his pistol worked fine in a PT-111 holster, but he failed to list, describe, or post an image of the holster.

The type of holster I'm considering is something along the lines of the Crossbreed Supertuck, which is made for both the PT-111/PT-140 (same size), and PT-145. It will be almost always worn with jeans, a gun belt, and an untucked shirt. I'm in no hurry to buy; basically seeing what's out there, and there is a lot.

If anyone has firsthand experience with a holster made for another brand/model of pistol, then please feel free to post as well.

Thanks in advance and a great weekend to all!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's the "PT-638 user who says his pistol worked fine in a PT-111 holster, but he failed to list, describe, or post an image of the holster."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With all the different holster options out there, I didn't think to do that, thinking the chances of it being a Crossbreed are slim, but you're right, I'll drop him a note, it doesn't take much.

Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow-up info. It was a Don Hume IWB holster for a PT-111 and the PT-638 fit tightly in it. The user said he was new to holsters, so there's a good chance the holster was new and not yet broken in. Perhaps it would loosen some and conform to the PT-638 with use.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
If you can take it to a local shop, you could also try holsters for the PT138. Good luck with that, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think a commonly used gun that would be closely compatible would be a Glock 26. I bought a Glock 26 holster for a PT 140 a few years ago and it worked after breaking in. I wrapped the gun in a plastic bag and shoved it in the holster for a couple of days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts