Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to get a new pt1911, now the hard part which one. What would you get, the blue or the stainless steel. This will be my first 1911. The last time I shoot one was in the late 60's while in the Coast Guard. I do have a S&W M-19, and I shoot it often. You folk on this forum know more about the pt1911 then I do, that is why I'm asking for your advice. Thanks for your help.

Bob Silva

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Stainless Steel!!! The SS model is hands down one of the most beautiful 1911's I have held or shot. It will instantly stand out at any gun range and make those Kimber owners drool with envy because you have something every bit as good as their over priced toys and for a fracture of the cost (sorry kimber ownes, but its the truth).

The one thing I did notice locally here in Iowa, is that the SS model is causing the price on the blued models to drop, because everyone wants the SS over the Blued model.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
DRAEGER said:
Stainless Steel!!! The SS model is hands down one of the most beautiful 1911's I have held or shot. It will instantly stand out at any gun range and make those Kimber owners drool with envy because you have something every bit as good as their over priced toys and for a fracture of the cost (sorry kimber ownes, but its the truth).

The one thing I did notice locally here in Iowa, is that the SS model is causing the price on the blued models to drop, because everyone wants the SS over the Blued model.
+1

·
Super Moderator
21,612 Posts
I have the blue pt1911 and it out shot a colt and a kimber. the ss model was not out at the time. Now i'm sticking my extra money away for the pt1911ss thease are awsome guns and I grew up on the 45 shooting almost every brand. Good luck you can see a pic of mine in the Gallery sec under my name it has a few of my knives and a g2 surfire in the pic

·
Registered
18 Posts
they have a pt1911ss at the local store for $649.00 is that a fair price? Or you can spend and extra $50.00 and get an American made Kimber Custom 2 for $699.00.. your call..

·
32,619 Posts
Don't own a PT1911 and probably never will. Handled one and shot a few rounds, but that's all I can say.
There is a caveat to all this. The bluing on these models has been seen to wear out fast,be thin, or come off quickly according to various gun periodicals. If that is truly a problem then SS is the way to go.

Actually stainless steel is just easier to clean up with in my opinion and being a somewhat sweaty guy and having lived..... and do live in a humid region.... corrosion resistance is a bonus over the blued version.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess you settled it for me, guess I will go with the stainless. Can get it here at a local gun store for $589.00. It is beautiful isn't it. Well try to post pictures when I get it.

·
32,619 Posts
One obligatory range report, please. 30,000 words or more, due on the first Monday, on Flyer's desk, after you get the pistol. :p ;) Problem is...... we don't know where Flyer's virtual desk is.... so what the heck. ;D :-\ :-X :rolleyes: :eek: :) ;) This is all surely in jest of course. We know... we know. Don't call you Shirley and you never jest. ;D :) ;)

Just give a report if and when you can. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
SS, the bluing on the taurus 1911 sucks (from someone who has one)

after only a few months and 600 rounds the blue is thin on the backstrap and has wore through on the bottom of the sides of the slide where it meets the frame

·
Registered
99 Posts
Both. :D I have the blue myself and like thunderstruck said the bluing sucks. Having said that I think that it actually gives the gun character. As soon as I can I will purchase the SS to add to my collection.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did it, went down and got me a pt1911 ss today. now to clean it and take it out tomorrow and shoot some. Man is that Stainless nice.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
rdoggsilva said:
Well I did it, went down and got me a pt1911 ss today. now to clean it and take it out tomorrow and shoot some. Man is that Stainless nice.
Job well done. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I saw we look forward to seeing pics of your new PT1911 when you have time to post some. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Come on, you know you want it. You know you need it. You know you gotta have it. You know it, you know it, it's true, OH IT's DAMN TRUE!!! :D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Very nice Schlemer. You're making me covet a stainless PT911 more and more with your pic. Good job. ;D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bluing sucks. Gun wonderful. Worn bluing gives gun character. SS is fine for you if you like it. As an ex-cop I never liked shiny guns. For obvious reasons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts