Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello all
OK here is my dilemma, I have two fire arms ( sig status) I haven't shot the 9 yet but i need to sell one due to financial reasons. Obviously I keep one around for home protection and I do alot of range shooting, I've always heard that a 9mm just doesn't have the. Knock down power in case ****** hits the fan but I do keep a box of Hornady critical defence (FTX) rounds ..
So in your advise which one would you keep?

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Frankly, I've never read anything that definitively says that a .40 cal is that much better than a 9mm in stopping power. I think with today's self defense ammo, it's pretty much a wash. Certainly the 40 cal is a fatter cartridge, but I'm not sure if that buys you much or not.

So that being said, I would say shoot them both and decide which one you like better. Then keep it.

Reactions: bre346

·
Administrator
39,372 Posts
I'd probably keep the 9mm. It can do the job of home defense, and it'll be easier on the pocket book at the range. Then with the savings, you can buy another .40 sometime.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
For what it's worth, 9mm ammo will probably always be the most available, but then, most LE use .40.........so what do I know?

Reactions: LongTermGuy

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I will go the other way. I have been shooting the .40 since it first came out, and I believe that it is a fantastic caliber. I definitly like it better than the 9mm. If it were me, I would stick w/ the .40.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Although my brain says the 9mm will always be cheaper, the money difference in ammo will only be felt if you practice a whole lot. Shooting only 100 rounds per month would save you less than $8.00 per month if shooting low price practice ammo. Skip fast food joints for a couple days and taking a sandwich and chips for lunch will cover that cost pretty easily.

$12.95 .40 S&W practice ammo Prvi Partizan PPU .40SW 180grn JHP 50rd Box

$9.95 brass cased 9mm practice ammo Aguila 9mm 124grn FMJ 50rd box

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
It is a pure personal choice. Most LE are going to .40, but that doesn't mean you need to. .40 cal ammo will cost you around 40% to 50% more than 9mm. With the choices of different 9mm ammo offered in the market you can purchased a stopping power load to fit any need.
I like firing .40 over 9mm just because of the feel of the power. Of course, you would have a selling point to add on the 9mm by selling it as NIB (new in box) unfired.
So to sum things up....I haven't helped you out one little bit!!! Sorry.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Keep the 9mm, no reason to own the in between caliber. When you get back
in the chips, you can get a real man's caliber, a 45 acp.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
You've not fired the 9x19 yet. You have fired the .40 S&W.

If the .40 functions well, keep it --- you know it will work if you need it.

The 9x19 is a variable right now....since you don't know if it will actually perform.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
And Jake....I can put a few .40 S&W loads out there that put the .45 ACP to shame....but we won't go there in this thread ;)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
As you can see you're going to get a lot of opinions. I'm in the 9mm camp. That said, the proven .40 vs the unproven 9 theory makes sense. So..... the ball is still in your court!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
NYPD, I just put that out there to jerk someone"s chain. I was curious to see who the chain would be connected to.:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I couldn't help but go shoot, so I just unleashed 100 FLAWLESS rounds throught the 9 .. muzzle bark and recoil snap is very close to tell as the 40, that said I believe I will keep the 9 (its a 17+1 vs the 15+1 40) and ammo is cheaper ..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that was a wise move. Ammo prices are rising as we type.... 9mm will probably be the most common caliber and if you like shooting, you could stock up on 9mm and get a different 9mm gun down the road.... or a 45.

Listing the 9 as NIB would be difficult since it was transferred to you, regardless if you shot it or not.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
9mm +P+ is a potent defensive round and practice ammo is cheap. Keep the 9 for sure! This is coming from someone that has more .45's than 9mm. My favorite handguns are CZ75's and their clones.

As for the 9mm vs .40 S&W vs the .45 ACP, THEY ALL WORK WELL! Besides, the old .45 Colt will out perform all of them in a modern platform.

Maloy

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do have a mag full of 9mm Hornady FTX 115g critical defense rounds, so I have 100% confidence if forced to use them .. when I get more coin down the road I will get a .45 ACP.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts