Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on purchasing my new pistol in the next few days, I have narrowed it down to the Taurus 709 slim and the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-111, I Know that the 709 only comes with one mag and no case, what does the Millennium come with? I have handled both (never able to fire either of the 2) and they both felt good. If you have one or have fired one please post your thoughts, Thank You

·
Registered
113 Posts
i've handled both and like the pt111,it felt better in my hand, comes with 2 mags- holds a few more rounds than the pt709, you may like the pt709 better if your getting for ccw-but the pt111 conceals pretty good too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You said the PT-111 comes with "2 mags" I was looking on cheaper then dirt, So I would say for the $ 20 more thats the better deal if it comes with 2 mags.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Friend got a 709 slim in stainless and it came with 2 mags! Mine is blue and $100 cheaper and just came with one! I would say hold and if possible shoot both to decide, I have a PT-145 and 709slim and like both ! For carry 709 may be just a bit easier?

·
32,573 Posts
I own both the 709 and the PT111.

Which fits you and your needs better?

The PT709 pros.
A single stack pistol that is easy to hide,good trigger, though it takes a bit of practice and dedication to get used to it. Good ergonomically for a single stack pistol of this size. Double spring recoil mechanism absorbs recoil for a gun in its class. Sights are good but could be a bit better IMHO.

In the .38 Special snub gun category, i.e., good short range pistol.

Carry of an extra magazine or two is a good idea.

PT111 time:

Holds more rounds than the 709, a bit better trigger and sights. IMHO. Holds on target more steady.

Can hit out to 25 yards or so with tighter groups. There is no typical assailant attack close up or at further distances.

Example. I live in the burbs within 12 miles of Milwaukee,Wi.. For being in the burbs where I am the 709 meets all the criterea for everday use.

If going to Milwaukee and the area very near it the PT111 gets the nod. I carry an extra magazine or two, but am portly,short, and have small hands and short fingers.

Single stack pistols are easier for me to hide and have to carry all day. Like I said, this is an example.

It's easier for me to get the PT111 back down on target for the next shot. Not by much but it is there. Picking up the sights is a bit easier.

I use standard pressure rounds out of both. Federal BP 9mm. has an actual real world documented track record for stopping attacks. An excellent one.

Speer makes its short barrel ammo. Hornady FTX ammo is another good one for the small pistols. +P ammo benifits are lost in a shorty barrel for the most part. The law of diminishing returns sets in.

That's my 3 doubloons worth. :)
Doubloon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I could get both I would. There is only a $20 diff between the two, the pro costing more however it comes with an extra mag. I personally like the weight of the 709 (I have small hands) however I like the sights better on the pro (the ones on the 709 appeared to be plastic) I wish I could get the 709 with the better sights (the Heinie's that come on the pro are amazing) and just buy the extra mag. I feel I rather get the pro because it has the better sights and comes with the extra mag, however the only major pro of the 709 is that it feels more comfortable (extremely important, unfortunately I cant shoot either one to test recoil). I am not a pro shooter though We do target shoot, and being in the profession I am in hope to never have to shoot someone, but lets face it times are tough and I want the best bang for the buck (don't we all).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have checked a few places near by and none offer either of the two, the only taurus I have seen to rent is the G2 and a 380

·
32,573 Posts
The other choices might be to go down a bit on power.

There is the 24/7 compact series to look at. It has much in common with the PT111, but is different enough and an excellent pistol.G2 or older models are great.

The Taurus 745 is a single stack in .45ACP, has the double recoil system to soak up recoil and would fit the better sights and maybe grip problem.

The Taurus 2011 DTs are in the same class as the24/7 G2.

Bersa is making the BP9 CC which would fill the bill

Kahr makes the MK9 or PM9.

Other than that it would mean going down in power a bit. There are the Pt138 Mil Pro double stack (.380), PT132 Mil Pro double stack (.32ACP) pistols.

Bersa 380 single stack is a good choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a bersa 380 at the moment, prob the best gun I have shot in a while, I did not no they made a Taurus mill. 380.!!!!!!!!!! get another gun and use the same ammo :)

·
32,573 Posts
Yup! Sounds like a plan.

I have 3 Taurus PT132s. But I'm getting older. :) The .32ACP is easier for me to use and eventually tolerate than the .380ACP.

So then ask why I just got a Beretta 85 and PT58S. :) Those are .380ACP.

If you want a gun that might fit take a look at the Beretta 85 carries 8+1 rounds of .380 and the 84 holds 13+1 round.

By the way the crystall ball,tea leaves, and Magic 8 Ball all told me you had the .380 pistol already. :)

·
32,573 Posts
Taurus also now makes a D.A.O. 380 Revolver....Just to add to the confusion.
Now your going to get me going on the .32 calibers for the Taurus 327. If the .380ACP m380 Taurus doesn't fit the needs.

The .380 ACP DAO m380 revolver is an excellent pick. There are now a decent number of members who own one. And it would make a dandy second or hide away gun. It makes sense and see Drummin-man's reasoning. It's a .380. Same ammo as the Bersa and easier to hide. Revolvers are easier to grip and get out for quick shooting. Also a bit more reliable than semi-autos. Normally.

So is the Taurus 327 in .327 Federal magnum. .32 H&R magnum and .32 S&W Longs can be shot through it. The .327 is quite the boomer,hits much harder, but all the noise and flame may not be worth it. Use what your familiar with. It could go the other way.

·
32,573 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I go with Qwixdraw. The 709 is smaller, thinner and easier to carry -- from what I read.
The pt-111 is thicker, heftier and a good shooter. It's my dailly carry.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That is a pretty tough choice Drex. IMHO opinion the PT111 is the best choice due to more versatility, but you have to try the one which works best for you. More than once I have gone into a shop sure of what I was going to buy, but the ergos, etc. were terrible and I wound up buying something else. BTW, you actually are in decent shape with your Bersa. Stoke it with some Federal Hydra-shoks, and you will be good to go until you can purchase whichever Taurus you choose....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just went down to the local gun shop before heading into work and rehandled both pistols, I noticed that they are both 9mm (obviously) but the 709 uses a luger and the Pro uses a parabellum. Whats the difference if any and are they interchangable? For the range I use federal ammo, its good decent ammo for a good price, However the dealer stated that the parabellum "style" cost more.. I have never seen this type of ammo that I can recall, tho I have seen the luger EVERYWHERE, and if thats the case, I would have to go with the 709.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts