1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Remington seems to be messing up a lot recently....

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the 700, I don't think the 770 is included.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have had both the ATR and the 770. They are both good rifles. Don't keep the .30-06 long, both were. I just get alot rifles in that caliber in swaps at the gunshows. However, I found the ATR to have the bolt assembly more to my liking. Both were equally accurate. Didn't have a problem with either gun. Both were equiped with the "package" scope. Don't rememver what they were. The Mossberg did have an "M" on the side of it, which I assumed was for Mossberg. But it was proably from another company.

Everyone seems to be knocking the Remmys now cause of the long history of a trigger problem. I don't have much of a problem with them. Their current Model 700 "package gun" is a bit more than the 770 or the Mossy ATR, but I like it. Have one and thinking about one in .223. Current poly and black package 700 was 377+ at a local Wally World.

Also heard rumors of a new Remmy 783. Don't know if it replaces one of the older models or is something new. Haven't examined one yet.

Same place has Ruger Americans in the same caliber choices with no scope for @ 360+. I have an old M77 and the stock on the American feels a bit cheesy to me.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Remington has recalls out on the 700's and 887's. The R51 was a disaster. And they are moving. Mossberg gets my vote.

·
8,407 Posts
Ditto's with what Elwood says. The 700 recall took way too long - Rem has been hiding the data for over a decade on deaths and injuries. The 77X series while not recalled for the sticking firing pin - has had a lot of negative internet traffic for quality issues. Add to that the plant move craziness - lots of Rem employees are building chatter about the move being a death knell for the company. That would be terrible as Remington has been building great firearms for almost 200 years. Mossberg may not be best or greatest looking - but they build reliable stuff.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I would go with the Mossberg only because my grandson got one last year and it shoots every accurately.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what does the description mean when it says the Remington 770 magazine can hold 4 standard cartridges (30-06) or 3 Magnum cartridges (???)
No such animal as a 30-06 magnum that I can find on a search.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I will go with the Remington.
Now, it does NOT have to be a 30-06.
There are 4 calibers to choose from. All the same price, all with a scope. (Don't want stainless, sun glint off the barrel could give away my location if the SHTF)
Academy - Remington, Rifles
Since it will basically for target shooting right now, but hunting in a couple years, would one of the other calibers be a better choice?
And I intend to get the reloading dies and stuff for it.
So brass and bullet cost and availability is a factor.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My bullet choice is .308 and I like stainless steel barrels you can use camo tape or other means to eliminate glare. Look at the Savage rifles in that price range you may find one to your liking

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I found brass and bullets for 7mm.-08 at Midsouth.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ock_Tipped_Boat_Tail_With_Cannelure_100_Count
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....mm-08_Remington_Unprimed_Rifle_Brass_50_Count
Hodgon says 38gr. to 40.6gr. IMR4895 OAL 2.875"
Brass - $1.04
Primer - $0.04
Powder - $0.18 (39.0gr ~ 2500FPS)
Bullet - $0.28
The price for this Match ammo would be $1.54/round for the first load, then $0.50 each after reusing the brass.
Commercial 150gr. Federal PowerShok is $1.65/round and I don't want hunting ammo right now.
I think this is the caliber to go with.
Just have to wait 1 more week!

EDIT: Searched all the major stores for the same rifle, Cabela's, Gander, Dick's, Bass Pro.
Academy is the only place with it, and also has the best and largest selection of rifles.
AND the best prices.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have developed a plan.
Wednesday morning a trip to Bass Pro to look for rifle powder.
If I find something I can use for both .223 and 7.62X54R then I get it and order some .311" bullets online.
Then I order a Mosin Nagant M44.
No powder, then I go to Florence and buy the Remington.
Wish I could do both, but I'm only going to have about $390 gun money this month.

The M44 will cost me ~$250 with shipping leaving me money for reloading supplies.
The Remington will cost me $324 with tax leaving some money for store bought ammo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts