Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard nothing but great raves on Wilson Combat magazines.. I hear they are one of the best. I would like to pick up two extra mags mainly because I think it would be easier to take 4 magazines at the range rather than using two and having to continue to load them after two times of firings down the line ..right?I am on Midway's website.Page Not Found - MidwayUSA is the main difference.Also I now see on their site they make a 7 round version?... I would think having 8 is better no?Mag Base Pad 1911 Government Commander 45 ACP 7-Round SS would they make a 7 round mag?Just looking for advice honestly. This is getting a tad bit overwhelming trying to get parts and just seeing the vast realm of things...lolOr is there another magazines that are better than the WC? I do want to get a s/s mag though.Thanks,-Nigel

·
Banned
893 Posts
the best mag is the one that works, I don't care what name is on it. I use Taurus 1911 mags in my Baer PII because it works and they look identical except the Baer is SS and the Taurus is blued.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Its what works for you as Tape said. I love Chip McCormicks, 8 round blued.

As to 7 vs 8 7 was the original government magazine, with a slight reworking they were able to get 8.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I used to stick with Colt Metalform mags since everything else I tried would show problems here and there. Someone gave me a Wilson 47D and I was so impressed that I tried a ETM. I know own a box of ETM's and keep the few Colt factory mags. I gave away all the Chip's, Promags, Mecgar, and whatevers that I used to have. I've only been shooting 1911's for a decade while other guys have been shooting them for longer than I have been alive. I like to listen and look at what they use. Lots of Colt and lots of Wilson.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
the best mag is the one that works, I don't care what name is on it...
Tape hit the nail on the head.

I've owned 1911's from over a dozen makers over the years, and they all worked well with any "reliable" magazine inserted, regardless of brand; including the 3 dozen+ military surplus "practice" magazines in my gear locker.

Wilson's are good, I have a couple of 8 round stainless I use as carry mags; but don't feel a bit undergunned using 7 rounders that John Moses Browning designed for this icon; regardless of brand.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For the range I have 5 chip mccormic 10 rounders. I like to be able to go through a box without having to reload mags. I also carry 2 10 rounders with me when I carry the PT with the stock tauri 8 rounder in the gun.

Like it has been said...IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT NAME IS ON THE MAG, WHERE THE MAG WAS MADE OR HOW MANY ROUNDS THE MAG HOLDS. The important thing is that the mags function with your weapon ..... after that it is just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I like Wilson Combat mags.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
FWIW, many people describe Wilson mags as making bad 1911's into good 1911's. I have yet to ever see a Wilson mag fail. I have yet to try a Wilson mag in a 1911 and that gun not run with it. I can't even say that about Colt mags.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Good question, thanks for the Thread

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I have 2 Kimber mags for my RIA 1911, a blued 7-round and a stainless 8-round. Both fit and function on them is perfect for mine. Locks back every time they empty and feed smoothly. I don't like the 8 round ACT mag that came with it, so it's the snapcap magazine now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
I only have 8 rounders, mostly Chip McCormick Shooting Stars which work great. I have only heard good things about Wilson Combat and some guys at the USPSA matches swear by Tripp Research magazines which I plan to buy if/when they put them on sale.

Tripp Research, Inc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ordering two Tripps as well... might as well. Will post back once I get all 4 mags!

So excited!

Thanks for the help everyone,
-Nigel

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
Ordering two Tripps as well... might as well. Will post back once I get all 4 mags!

So excited!

Thanks for the help everyone,
-Nigel
Cool...give us a review please when you get them and shoot them side by side.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the difference between the Chip McCormick power mag and the shooting stars?

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Super Moderator
35,545 Posts
I believe that the main difference if that the followers are shaped differently. The Shooting Stars look like a bottle opener with a double prong extending out the front and the Power mags have the follower folded down around the front and extends into the mag body. the SS also dissemble through the top and have the base pad separate (which are a pain to install as you really need to tap the holes in the SS base plate for the softer screws to not strip out) while the Power mags have the base pad as part of the lower magazine which you slide off to disassemble.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Back to your question about 7 versus 8 round mags for a 1911. This is the way I look at it regardless of who makes the magazine. If the mag has a non-removable (or flush) base I'm only loading 7 no matter what it says because over the years from my experience, more than 7 rounds tends to jam. If the mag has a removable base then you can load it to 8 without a problem. And just for the record, I would go with the removable base in general simply because they are so much easier to clean.

One of the best 1911 smiths whose advice I tend to follow, 1911Tuner, over on M1911.org says the Checkmate hybrid lip removable base magazine is the best on the market. But me I have a half dozen GI mags left over from my Army days, and a couple more Taurus Brazilian made Novak magazine clones. The Taurus mags are currently running on my custom 1911 because it has a magwell and the GI mags are on my PT-1911. They all run great on the 1911s I have them on. But if I bought some new mags, I would probably get those Checkmate mags just like 1911Tuner said.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have 4 factory(7 shot) magazines for my Remington 1911. I agree it makes it easier not haveing to reload mags as often. When I go to practice(back 40) I practice hit the bg in 3 shots. If I can't stop the bg in 7 shots, I don't think # 8 will be the magic bullet. Just my humble opinion..:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts