Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes this is the question so let's see the answers to Which is the True Assault Style Weapon?

Colt AR15?

Browning BAR?

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
The wording is Precise for a reason I assume. Assault STYLE weapon? Since there's really no clear definition of what an assault weapon is, it would be difficult to assess which of the 2 follows in that style. If you verbally assault a person, using a bullhorn would fulfil the conditions for an assault weapon. That means any paper or flat object rolled in a conical form would meet the criteria for an assault style weapon.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Somewhere back in the history of the AR-style weaponry someone started calling them "assault rifles" because of the AR prefix. It actually stands for Armalite Rifle.

Fiction and Fact, from The Master Chief's almanac.

And, of course, the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Along with some other facts on the topic.

https://www.nssf.org/msr/

·
Registered
969 Posts
Somewhere back in the history of the AR-style weaponry someone started calling them "assault rifles" because of the AR prefix. It actually stands for Armalite Rifle.

Fiction and Fact, from The Master Chief's almanac.

And, of course, the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

Along with some other facts on the topic.

https://www.nssf.org/msr/
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!;)

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now this is only my opinion which is worth Zero.

One looks like a military assault weapon and one actually was used by the military as an assault weapon. Not that I would like to be on the receiving end of either. One really looks scary and one actually is really scary.

I suppose the question could also be does a Heavy barreled 25/06 with a Varminter Scope make it a Sniper Rifle?

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I think y'all are hung up on the words "assault" and "weapon", and totally ignoring "style".

Style is such a versatile word, it is hard to pin down. Chuch Norris exhibits a certain amount of "style". Renaldo at the studio downtown applies "style" to hair. Old things (like many of you) go out of style.

I'm confused (situation normal).

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Both "Assault-Style Weapon" is a term made up by the media to make people think they know what the hell they're talking about. But if you want to use the Army defined definition, here it is: By U.S. Army definition, a selective-fire rifle chambered for a cartridge of intermediate power. If applied to any semi-automatic firearm regardless of its cosmetic similarity to a true assault rifle, the term is incorrect. Assault Weapon. Any weapon used in an assault.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I would say, according to those who claim to be the experts and know nothing. That the AR is what they call an assault weapon.

·
Registered
19,779 Posts
Actually...:unsure:...both more resemble an ostrich, than an assault weapon.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The name has lost all meaning if it ever had any to begin with. Legend would have you believe it was Hitler that coined the term for the new (at the time) "Sturmgewehr" 44, which was a infantry rifle capable of select fire. In military terms, the "assault" always refers to the ability to go full auto. Then Armalite came on the scene and made a civilian version of the M16 that was semi auto only in the form of the AR15. As has already been pointed out, lot's of people have confused AR to mean Assault Rifle, and this is in no small part to a journalist back in the 80's who dubbed it that, and from there is spread like wild fire. At this point it's kind of like the word "ain't", yes I could actually type that and not have it underlined in red notifying me I just misspelled something because while there was a time not that long ago it was just a made up word and slang at best, it's been so widely used now it's actually been added to the English language and you can find it in Websters. And because of that, both the BAR and AR would be considered "assault rifles" at this point. Sad yes, but it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
:huh:...can you pepper a target with that?
Only if you use salty language when you pull the trigger. As you're a sailor, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would say, according to those who claim to be the experts and know nothing. That the AR is what they call an assault weapon.
This whole topic came up the other day as a bunch of us were sitting at the dinning room table visiting and having a good time. I do have to agree and suggest our group also had this same consensus. So because of the MSM and Politicians anything AR or AK is automatically an assault weapon.

My original thought was to just post 2 pictures. One an AR15 or such and one a Browning BAR. With the sole purpose being to see how the general public would depict these two guns. I imagine the AR15 would win hands down. Even though the BAR was actually used in combat.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE
1 - 20 of 33 Posts