Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was looking through revolvers on Taurus' site, and I'm at a crossroads as to which caliber to get when I ultimately decide to buy my revolver to keep in my truck.

The gun will have to have a 4" or longer barrel since it will be a big-bore and I want to keep the recoil to a minimum, but I also want to have a caliber that will do the job in one shot.

The choices have come down to .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, or .44 Magnum. My preference was leaning towards the .41 Magnum because of the energy it can deposit (over 1000 ft-lbs) and the fact that its different from what everyone else has. I like having something different. The .357's main drawback is that its not much stronger than the .40 S&W that I have in the PT24/7, so I would really prefer something stronger. Reading an article in this month's Guns & Ammo only made me appreciate the .41 more.

The choices:
Raging Bull in .41 Magnum

Raging Bull in .44 Magnum

Tracker in .41 Magnum

Tracker in .357 Magnum

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrglock said:
If you want something a little different than most people at the range get the 454, 480 or 500!
Hah...well, my dad already has a Super Redhawk in .480, but the .454 Casull is definitely a choice, I just don't know how well I could handle it in a quick situation, as it does have another 350 lb-ft over the .41/.44 lol. Pretty hefty if you ask me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just be aware if you go 41 magnum, you generally have a lot less ammo choices out there. With a 357 magnum you have tons of ammo choices plus you can practice shooting with way cheaper 38 special ammo.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gandog56 said:
Just be aware if you go 41 magnum, you generally have a lot less ammo choices out there. With a 357 magnum you have tons of ammo choices plus you can practice shooting with way cheaper 38 special ammo.
Thats why the .357 is on the list is the .38 part. But the .41 lately has actually gotten quite a bit developed in its way, so thats cool. Thanks :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
In all seriousness you have asked a very subjective question as caliber is such a personal choice. My personal opinion is that everyone should have at least one 357 wheel gun and then add other calibers to the mix later. Some of these guys can respond better to your statement about the 40 versus the 357; but IMO the 357 is a pretty big step up from the 40 in terms of stopping power. Truth is all of these guns are going to be a good choice depending on what your ultimate use for it is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just a thought: I think a little research will show the .357 mag is a lot more powerful than the .40 S&W. Also, in the Taurus revolvers, the Tracker 627 is a seven shooter, one more pill in the cylinder. I would get the .357 first, then add another bigger caliber.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good point schoonie; my first buy was the 8 shot 608S with a 4" - a fantastic gun with lots of power in the cylinder!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
My vote would be to get a .357 now, and then a 44 mag when possible. This will give you a lot of options for load selection. The .357 can shoot 'maggies' and 38s. and don't forget that the 44 mag can also shoot 44 specials.
Didn't you say you have a bunch of .357 ammo laying around that you inherited?
Now if you reload, the 41 would be a more serious consideration.
So many options. Ain't living in America great?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drummin_man627 said:
My vote would be to get a .357 now, and then a 44 mag when possible. This will give you a lot of options for load selection. The .357 can shoot 'maggies' and 38s. and don't forget that the 44 mag can also shoot 44 specials.
Thanks for the input...but the .357 stuff is all gone, my cousin took it off my hands, since he got the .357. I won't be reloading, no interest in doing that at all. I think it is pretty well made up that I will get a .357...so thanks.

And yes, America is fantastic :)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
As far s 40 vs 357, I agree that they are very simlar for anti-personel but if you toss in critters big enough to seriously chew on you then I feel the 357 has the edge.

Other than that, my first question is which frame size do you want? I've had a chance to shoot a 44 Tracker and even with magnum loads (standard 240gr I think) it wasn't bad. I think it kicked less than my M65.

My other thoughts have pretty much been covered.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'd go with Raging Bull .44mag or 5in .454 model in stainless. :) - that's I want!

.41mag is hard to come buy even relaoding components...

and I'm pretty sure .357mag is for little girls...: :p j/k

·
Registered
275 Posts
Grey Wolf has my point of view, go with the heavy hitter big bores, the Raging Bull in .44 magnum is preamo and you can always shoot .44 specials in it.

Though I could get by with my little ole .44 special in the model 441.

I've never been a fan of the .357 magnum and its long narrow bullets, give me the big a$$ wide meplats that open a serious hole in something. You got more bullet sellection and bullet weights available in the .44s.

As to anything bigger than the .44 magnum, you won't be driving through Grizzly country will you, or the African velt. :D

TB C45

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Since you've noted that you're leaning towards the .41 Magnum I'll suggest that since it seems to be what you really want. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
i cab't fault oyu on the 41 mag. in fact i just posted the model 425 comes in a 6" also. there are some viable choices in this caliber.

however if you go with the 454 you shoot 45 colt loads and you can use 45 colt dies to reload 454s. i''got a 6 1/2" that with 45s is a pussy cat,and even the 454s can be tamed down.

the only 454 loads i didn't like is a box of corbons 335 gr that i got with the gun. these will get your attention,but they are shootable with the ported barrel.

good luck on your choice. dan.

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
I like .41 a lot, but then, I'm a handloader. Some .357 loads are far above anything you can get in .40. Look to Buffalo Bore. There stuff is about at the top, up to 660 ft lbs out of a 2" gun and 780 out of a 6" gun. You can't touch that with a .40 in its best day and that's with 180 grain loads. In a self defense load, I shoot a 140 and am quite happy with it. .357 is THE self defense revolver. Go .41 if you wanna be different, you handload, or you want to hunt much with it. .357 will kill deer, has for me, but the .41 will do anything a .44 will do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Drummin-man wrote: My vote would be to get a .357 now, and then a 44 mag when possible. This will give you a lot of options for load selection. The .357 can shoot 'maggies' and 38s. and don't forget that the 44 mag can also shoot 44 specials.

I total agree the 357 is the way to start. Ammo is everywhere and affordable in 38spl. Have you walked into Wally world and price ammo lately?
Last time I looked 44's were about a buck a pop and I didn't see any 41's.
Whatever you shoot save your brass.
And anyone can "enjoyably" shoot a 38spl if you care to let them, then loading them up with 357 mags will take care of business if you ever needed it to. Living in AMERICA IS GREAT! And I'm happy to live in a gun friendly state. 8)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'd go with a .44 and heres why: You said it was going to be a truck gun and I assume you are going to use it for more than just potentential 2 legged threats. .41 magnum is alright if you want to handload, but the you will get more bullet options froma .44 plus heavier weight bullets that you can use on big game. While the .357 may be adequate in some states for deer it would not be adequate for other critters. (elk, bear, caribou, moose hey Alaska is a possibility) plus I will guarantee if you are a big person the .44 mag will be a lot more fun to shoot than a .357.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ace said:
I'd go with a .44 and heres why: You said it was going to be a truck gun and I assume you are going to use it for more than just potentential 2 legged threats. .41 magnum is alright if you want to handload, but the you will get more bullet options froma .44 plus heavier weight bullets that you can use on big game. While the .357 may be adequate in some states for deer it would not be adequate for other critters. (elk, bear, caribou, moose hey Alaska is a possibility) plus I will guarantee if you are a big person the .44 mag will be a lot more fun to shoot than a .357.
I'm not big and hate cold weather lol. Hell, it was like 50 degrees here the other day and I near refused to get out of bed. So Alaska is out of the question :). I guess I'll just have to shoot them all and find out, one range around here lets you rent guns, so I'll probably go rent a .357 and a .41 if they have it from them, and just shoot my Dad's .44 to see how I like it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts