Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really considering buying a 1911 blued with bulls head walnut grips, and I have been doing a lot of reading about what a great gun the pt1911 is. My question is this: what type of sights are currently being used? I looked at the Taurus page and it looks like it's the Heinie straight 8. But, I have read several posts where people talk about being able to tell the difference between early models and later models by whether or not it has the straight 8 sights (early ones had them and later ones apparently do not). To add even more confusion, the Taurus sight talks about the Heinie sights and how great they are, but the picture that you can enlarge shows some other type (Novak?). Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a side note, I have yet to handle a pt1911 (not for lack of trying... no one in my area has one), but I am already completely sold on the gun! :) This is only my second post, but I have done a ton of reading on this forum and have gotten great information. So, thanks to all of those members that contribute their experience/knowledge. It really helps.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, the reason I ask is that I have never shot these kind of sights (or had even heard of them before), but they seem like a very cool idea that I think I could really learn to love.

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Currrent production is novak style sites however they just recently switched over from the straight 8 sites. It might be older stock with the 2 dot sites, which I had a PT1911 with them and I honestly didn't care for them. Some people love them. They are very quick to acquire but I had trouble with my groups tending to "String" up and down which in a defensive gun, wouldn't be bad. If i was using one to carry I wouldn't mind them but I just prefer the 3 dot novaks. Chances are you will find one with the 3 dot novaks now, as the 2 dot heinie sites haven't been made for about a year, however you might still run into some out there...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I kind of wondered how the different sight configuration could effect shot placement, especially in the beginning until I had time to adapt to them. I guess it's like anything else, there's always some degree of give and take. Even if the gun that I end up buying doesn't have the Heinie sights on it, I would still be interested in trying them out sometime. I think it looks like an interesting approach. I'll have to ask around at the club where I shoot and see if anyone has them.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I just found an older thread where someone asked the same question. I actually did a quick search before posting, but I didn't find the info I was looking for. I know it gets annoying when people ask the same question over and over again. Thanks for humoring me.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks stickbow. We all have different tastes in sights, and I personally don't care for the straight eight ones. The ability of having good options available for changing sights is appreciated....

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
By the way, the reason I ask is that I have never shot these kind of sights (or had even heard of them before), but they seem like a very cool idea that I think I could really learn to love.
as indicated by previous posters the Noavk three dot sight system is currently what Taurus puts on the Pt1911 , the Hienie straight Eights went out of production i think it was about 3 years ago.
as the fixed sight combat type pistol is exactly that a combat type weapon and not intended for target use the Hienie straight Eight i find to be superior in fast target aqusition, plenty accurate at defense distance (out to 25 yards) and personally i love them, but most of my weapons do have a three dot arrangement.
the Hienie straight eights are usually a either you love them or you hate them, no one seems to be in the middle on them.
as Hienie is still selling them by the boat loads I guess many share my thoughts about them.
you just got to see /use them to decide, but quite honestly I think with practice i can learn to use about any sight out there.
Not sure how well the pictures will show up, but the black 1911 has he Hienie Straight eights sights, notice only 1 dot on the rear sight and 1 dot on the front sight, place the rear dot below the front dot and squeeze!
the brown 1911 has the three dot sight, line up the front dot level between the rear two dots with equal distance between the blades of the rear sight and front and squeze.
you hit low and left, you must be right handed!!-Ok, just joking about the last part.
hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the quick responses and great info. Taurus should really update their website more often because I'm sure I'm not the only one with questions about current set-ups on their products. The pictures they choose to include don't match up with what the text is saying. Not a huge deal, but if others (like me) aren't able to handle the guns at a LGS and see for themselves, it can be a bit confusing. My next question is a bit off topic from my original question, but does anyone know if the blued with bulls head walnut grips is still being produced? It sure appears that it is judging from the Taurus site, but I have read the posts from other people here that thought it was now discontinued. That would make sense because the picture on the site shows that it has Heinie sights (which it sounds like have not been available OEM for a while now). Anyway, I guess it's not that big of a deal even if it is discontinued, just buy a regular blued and add similar walnut grips to get the look I'm going for. But, I really like the bulls head ones and would be a bit bummed if I couldn't buy it with those (or at least not very easily).

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
It is my understanding that the Bullshead walnut grips are also discontinued, but others here may know differently.
and yes I think we all agree that the catalog needs much better maintenance.
Between going with the Taurus catalog and ordering a gun from Buds and using their description theres no telling what you may end up with!-LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,691 Posts
as indicated by previous posters the Noavk three dot sight system is currently what Taurus puts on the Pt1911 , the Hienie straight Eights went out of production i think it was about 3 years ago.
as the fixed sight combat type pistol is exactly that a combat type weapon and not intended for target use the Hienie straight Eight i find to be superior in fast target aqusition, plenty accurate at defense distance (out to 25 yards) and personally i love them, but most of my weapons do have a three dot arrangement.
the Hienie straight eights are usually a either you love them or you hate them, no one seems to be in the middle on them.
as Hienie is still selling them by the boat loads I guess many share my thoughts about them.
you just got to see /use them to decide, but quite honestly I think with practice i can learn to use about any sight out there.
Not sure how well the pictures will show up, but the black 1911 has he Hienie Straight eights sights, notice only 1 dot on the rear sight and 1 dot on the front sight, place the rear dot below the front dot and squeeze!
the brown 1911 has the three dot sight, line up the front dot level between the rear two dots with equal distance between the blades of the rear sight and front and squeze.
you hit low and left, you must be right handed!!-Ok, just joking about the last part.
hope this helps.
I'm probably in that low percentage who is in the middle about them. When I bought my first MilPro (140) in 2009 it came with the Heines and I hated them b/c I had grown up shooting with "3 point iron sights" which were usually a "V" rear sight and a bead up front - no colored dots, just iron colored (or whatever metal they were made of). I quickly switched them out for Williams Firesights - to give me the 3 dot/point iron sight I was familiar with.

My PT1911, purchased later in the year 2009, came with 3 dot Novaks and I was happy with them due to the more familiar sight picture and haven't even given any consideration as to changing them out.

My PT145, purchased ~ June 2011, came with Heines again and I decided to give them a little more of a patient try and came to like them. But, I have adjusted my aiming over the past several years to be more "front sight" first in lining up on target and then bringing the rear sight into alignment. It is much faster to get the two dots lined up into a snowman (figure eight) than trying to precisely line the front middle dot into the very center of the two rear dots. And, the Williams Firesights I bought intending to replace the Heines on this gun didn't fit so I put the Heines back on and am probably going to keep them.

I believe they take a little getting used to but are dissed at the beginning by many of us who grew up with more conventional sight systems but once you get more comfortable with them, they are faster.

Just MHO . . .

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i wish Taurus offered bar- dot sights, similar to straight 8. bar in middle of rear sight and dot on front. photos from dales phone 270.jpg

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is my understanding that the Bullshead walnut grips are also discontinued, but others here may know differently.
and yes I think we all agree that the catalog needs much better maintenance.
Between going with the Taurus catalog and ordering a gun from Buds and using their description theres no telling what you may end up with!-LOL
Yeah, it does seem that you have to be quite a detective to know what you'll get when you open the box. I generally do like surprises, but not so much when I'm ordering a new gun.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool! I would imagine that a place like Cheaper Than Dirt moves enough product that those models would not be new old stock. I'll bet Taurus is still producing them. I may have to give CTD a call and see if they really do come with the Heinie sights.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
i wish Taurus offered bar- dot sights, similar to straight 8. bar in middle of rear sight and dot on front. View attachment 25055
The Kahrs that i have shot had this sight arrangement, which worked for me as I like the hienies.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
the bulls head walnut grips are available in blue and now in SS
Good to know!
wonder if they sale them as an aftermarket item or if you need to buy a gun to get a grip?-LOL
Not that i have any problems in needing to buying another 1911---Giggle.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
in that pic that is my Kahr PM45 and my wife's PT111 millpro 9mm.
well in the 2012 catalog taurus lists optional grips,BHW, checkered walnut & mother of pearl. now i don't know if optional means you can buy just the grips or if you have to order a pistol with the optional grips. you what it's like to try to decifer the taurus catalog.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
On page 61 in the 2012 online catalog, Taurus does list them as "Optional Grips" for the 1911 series. Not sure exactly what that means, but it might be possible. I wonder what those would cost? Probably don't want to know.

Oops... Oso and I were thinking the same thing, but he beat me to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts