Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time of the year again where I begin pondering if I should let one of my guns go. Back in march I picked up a PT1911 which I'm in love with and use for my fall-winter carry. I also have a PT145 (DAO) for spring-summer. The problem is not with the .45s but more with the .9mm.

I have two, a PT111 millennium pro (3rd gen) and a Ruger P89. Before I continue, I realize that this is a Taurus site. However, it seems to me that guys around here know their guns. I am confident that I can get a somewhat unbiased answer ;) . Anyhow, both are excellent pistols, I just don't know if I really need two 9mm.

The Ruger is my very first gun and holds a very sentimental value for me. It shoots wonderfully, is built "Tonka" tough and is easy to maintain. It is sadly, a bit bulky for concealed carry. I did manage for awhile until the summer months hit. That's when I got my original PT111 Mill Pro (DAO), then quickly traded it up for the more powerful PT145 (friend's suggestion). After a year without the PT111 :-[, I stumbled on a great deal for a NIB PT111 Mill Pro SA/DA. My compulsion could not be restrained and for $225. (including tax) she was mine once again.

Today I took the PT111 out of the safe and carried her instead of the PT145. First, I noticed the weight difference from the .45. I also noticed how well it carried in my small of back holster (really a nylon passport I carry tucked inside) under a T-shirt. It really is a nice gun, I'm just confused.

I know the P89 makes for a good home protection gun, but with a Ruger Gp100, PT1911, Mossberg 20 gauge (w/personal defense loads) and a Marlin 336 (.30-30) in my room. I think I'm pretty well covered. So, am I just really being a sentimental fool?

·
32,481 Posts
As a Ruger and Taurus owner here are a few thoughts.

Do you see yourself competing at all in any shooting sport? If so hang onto the Ruger.
IDPA,IPSC,bowling pin shooting and others demand at times a high ammo count and a steady larger gun than any of the Milleniums or even possibly the PT1911.

The P89 would be cheaper to shoot and easier to use and do well in competition with. At least in most of the above mentioned shooting games. So that's one possible reason to keep it.

Possible reason 2: If for defense there are 2 scenarios that make it a keeper. Carry for winter CCW still.House gun as you have mentioned. Here's the reasoning.

In winter drawing a P89 from under the coat can be easier than drawing the PT1911 and off safing the safety if it has one. If you have the decocker only model there is less metal in the lever to catch on material of coats or other clothing than there is on a 1911 safety lever. There are exception to this.

Amount of ammo immediately available for defense. What ammo you in the gun and have for home or winter defense might be all you have at that moment. 15 to 17 rounds (Mec-Gar makes 17 rounders for the Ruger) beats 12 or less any day just in case the fight goes into extra innings. Please don't quote the old saw that normal fights are over in a couple or several rounds. :) You have no way to know how the fight is going to go nor how much ammo will be needed. Nobody ever does. The pistol may be all you have time to grab for either defense of self or at home. Murphy's law states that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong in a fight.

Sentimentality is a subjective thing. That may be enough right there to keep the gun.

One last thing. Every gun battery that people have needs at least one full size semi-auto. The extra barrel length helps add velocity that would not be there with the smaller guns. Bullets need what speed they can get to give hollowpoints a chance to perform and expand. It is easier to hit a target squarely and accurately with a full size gun than with a smaller one. This has been documented well.

If the .45ACP is going to be the go to cartridge for a majority of your shooting, then getting rid of the Ruger P89 and getting either a Taurus 24/7, 945, or a Ruger 345 would give you the large gun advantage and caliber you like, all in one package.

Whew! Glad that's done. ;D :) That's the take on this from here.

By the way. I do have the Ruger P97DC in .45ACP and two P95DCs in 9x19 caliber. Also in the battery are a PT111 Mil/pro and a PT22. All have functioned very well and continue to do so.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
If you are not in need of the funds that would be generated by the sale, I'd say to keep them both.

The P89 for the sentimental aspect (my first semi-auto pistol was a P89DC) and for having a cheaper to shoot service pistol around. Yes, its harder to conceal and you have other designated house guns but its an option. Plus if you get injured and want a low recoil gun, that 9mm might come in real handy while you heal up. Plus you already know and trust it.

The PT111 I'd say (and yes, this could be considered hearsay around here) put as your "most likely to get traded off" gun. It doesn't mean that you intend to part with it, just that its the one that will leave first. But once again, its a lighter carry gun with less recoil than your PT145 incase you're injured. Plus I suspect that it could function as an understudy gun for your PT145, no where near as cheap as a 22 but 9mm is still cheaper than 45.

Then again, you could sell off both of then so you don't have to keep any 9mm around and get another 45 (or 2) to replace them with. Then you could justify keeping more ammo around...

Steelheart

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steelheart said:
If you are not in need of the funds that would be generated by the sale, I'd say to keep them both.
Steelheart
That's the thing. I am always in the need of funds. But My wife and I manage to get by. I guess it's the guilt I feel when I make a compulsive purchase. But as I mentioned above, I was longing for the PT111 for about a year. So I guess that doesn't really count as compulsive. The PT1911 was a huge impulse buy, but one I don't regret.

I've been carrying the 111 around for the last 2 days and do not feel the least bit paranoid that it is printing or bulging too much. I do notice the weight difference compared to the PT145 and especially over the PT1911.

I will be giving this more time being that it is a lot more practical to keep a gun bought at a bargain, rather than sell and re-buy as I did in the past.

Today's youth is infamous for buying video game consoles at premium prices only to then trade them in for a significant loss, only to buy the same thing again later on. Problem with that is that electronics tend to lose value very quickly, were as guns keep them a lot better.

Thanks guys for your wisdom. I let you all know what I decide.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts