Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my favorite gun shop in Tampa yesterday picking up a new (to me) gun. When the owner of the gun shop handed me back my CCW after doing my background check he said to me you know you're pretty close to out of date. It caught me by surprise so I looked at the permit and realized it runs out this Sunday!

When I got home I called the motor vehicle bureau ( tax collector's office), explain to the lady what my problem was, and asked for help to fix it. She gave me an appointment for 9:30 this morning and I even got there a little bit early. The way they handle this now is really nice. I timed it and from the minute I walked in to the office until I walked out with my new CCW permit in my hand was 9 minutes! It could not have been easier I do believe.

I told the lady this last minute thing was my fault. I told her I was the world largest procrastinator and I was so good at it my wife was going to buy me a t-shirt that said I always wanted to be a procrastinator but I never got around to it! She said the State of Florida sent me a notice 60 days ago saying my permit was close to expiring and I should have done something about it then. What could I say she was right

Bottom line was, I got a new permit and I'm a legal beagle okay again. I'm glad they have the situation set up so even procrastinators can manage to handle the problem!

Don

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
You were fortunate. I believe in our state, if you let the permit expire you have to take the training again. That's what I remember, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You were fortunate. I believe in our state, if you let the permit expire you have to take the training again. That's what I remember, anyway. ;)
Same here.

I was at the Sheriff's office one day when a guy came in with his ONE DAY expired.
He was not happy.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I did manage to keep track of my expiration date. I had moved a couple years ago and did not notify them of the address change so did not get my notice. I went to the tax collector office that handles the renewal. While it wasn't quite as fast as 9 minutes it didn't take long at all. The nice lady doing the work had another person in front of me applying for the 1st time but she still worked around him to get mine done. The couple of employees I talked with were matter of fact and no one was trembling in their shoes that there might be some gun nut running amok in the building!

I'm glad your experience was as smooth as it was.

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
Nice one Don!
In my dealings with the State of Florida, in the permit tag etc fields, not schools, either I have been very lucky of the State is doing a great job!

BTW thanks for your help the other day with those questions, deals concluded reasonably successfully!

Reactions: BangBang

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Glad that you caught it and were able to get such a quick remedy. I just filed for my wife and my ILLinois FOID cards which expire in a couple of months. This was accomplished on-line with some uploading current photos and ponying up 11.00 each. If the timing is off and one gets close to the hunting seasons starting up, there can be an avalanche of applications for folks who forgot to check their expiration. The FOID card is required to purchase or own any firearm, ammunition or reloading supplies like primer and powder.

My CCW also expires this coming Spring and that requires a four hour "refresher" course and live fire exercise the same as the initial licensing. The courses are running 77.00 to 90.00 and the renewal fee to the state is 155.00.

We have some very well fed politicians at the trough in this state.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Texas has online LTC renewals. Talk about a snap.:thumb:
Yes, Florida does also, if you pay attention to the letter they send you couple of months before your permit expires. Then everything is done online and it's a no-brainer. Of course me being the procrastinator that I am I wait till the last few hours! I know I was lucky this time...

Don

·
Registered
380 Posts
About a month ago I discovered that my CCW had expired about 5 months ago so I had to apply for a renewal, it took about 2 weeks to get back to me to me so I felt kinda naked for awhile, the best part of this was that during the time that I was illegal I got stopped for speeding by one of my old buddys from the OSP (Ohio State Patrol) from when I was on the Sheriff's department (I'm using that buddy term pretty loosely) and in Ohio you are required to inform the officer if you are carrying and he didn't even notice that my permit was expired, he was having too much fun chewing my a** about going over the speed limit and making sure I knew that he was doing me a huge favor for not writing me a ticket.

·
Registered
813 Posts
In Kansas our CCL is 4 years. I was a little surprised first time I renewed that not every DMV is capable of doing the renewal. We have sub stations for driver's license renewals, but you have to go to a "full service" DMV to get your conceal carry renewed.

I have mixed feelings about the changes made a couple of years ago. We passed "constitutional carry" which gives every one who has a legal right to carry a firearm in the open. I support the idea, but I wonder if the guy that just straps a gun to his hip understands the laws regarding the use of deadly force. So far, so good. Dodge City is really here in Kansas and the blood is not running in the streets as the liberals predicted.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
What I really don't like about my license here in Ohio is that the date changes with the renewal date. For example my previous license expired mid June but since I renewed at the end of May my new license now expires at the end of May. I wish they made it like your driver's license so it expired on the same day regardless of when you renew.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The moment I received my letter in 2015, I went on line, completed the form and discovered I qualified for the half-price renewal!! Completed everything, paid the fee and had a new CHL (now LTC) by mail in about two weeks. I still think we should attend a review course and every renewal, but that is me.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
In Kansas our CCL is 4 years. I was a little surprised first time I renewed that not every DMV is capable of doing the renewal. We have sub stations for driver's license renewals, but you have to go to a "full service" DMV to get your conceal carry renewed.

I have mixed feelings about the changes made a couple of years ago. We passed "constitutional carry" which gives every one who has a legal right to carry a firearm in the open. I support the idea, but I wonder if the guy that just straps a gun to his hip understands the laws regarding the use of deadly force. So far, so good. Dodge City is really here in Kansas and the blood is not running in the streets as the liberals predicted.
Yeah, funny how that is, isn't it? I've several officers say this only to be proven wrong time and again.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why should anybody have to take another course and complete another live-fire exercise to renew a permit that they originally had to take a course and live-fire exercise to get in the first place? You don't have to retake the driver's test every time you renew your drivers license. Now I'm talkin renewal here not new application. If it's a renewal you already jump through all the Hoops the first time. I guess some people just enjoy paying a tax to renew a permit that you shouldn't need in the first place and paying someone again to give you a course that you already took.

Don

Reactions: misPhyr

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Why should anybody have to take another course and complete another live-fire exercise to renew a permit that they originally had to take a course and live-fire exercise to get in the first place? You don't have to retake the driver's test every time you renew your drivers license. Now I'm talkin renewal here not new application. If it's a renewal you already jump through all the Hoops the first time. I guess some people just enjoy paying a tax to renew a permit that you shouldn't need in the first place and paying someone again to give you a course that you already took.

Don
I have yet to hear anybody here say that they enjoy it. :(

·
Premium Member
13,417 Posts
The process for our carry permit takes about 45 days from the the time you file and doesn't matter if your renewing or it's your first time. You still have to go to the Sheriff's to pay your fee, have your photo taken, supply two references and go through a background check then wait the 45 days to get the permit. I always try to get there 45 days early so there's no gap. Of course we can still open carry without a permit, except while driving, hunting or in Philadelphia, all of which require the CCW permit.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Florida gives you 6 months from expiration to renew. After 6 months you have to apply for a new one. My understanding previous certificate of training is still good if you still have a copy of it.

Not sure my local tax collector office is doing instant renewals. Last I heard they were taking in applications and fees then renewal was mailed to you afterwards.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad that you caught it and were able to get such a quick remedy. I just filed for my wife and my ILLinois FOID cards which expire in a couple of months. This was accomplished on-line with some uploading current photos and ponying up 11.00 each. If the timing is off and one gets close to the hunting seasons starting up, there can be an avalanche of applications for folks who forgot to check their expiration. The FOID card is required to purchase or own any firearm, ammunition or reloading supplies like primer and powder.

My CCW also expires this coming Spring and that requires a four hour "refresher" course and live fire exercise the same as the initial licensing. The courses are running 77.00 to 90.00 and the renewal fee to the state is 155.00.

We have some very well fed politicians at the trough in this state.
Not to mention the IL State Police website for online CCL applications is buggy, glitchy, illogical, contains numerous grammatical, spelling and formatting errors, and it takes nearly 3 months to process a new application. Just the way it is in a Dem-controlled utopia where graft, corruption, cronyism, nepotism, inefficiency, over-regulation and high taxes are more important than quality of service.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts