Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping my Taurus 709 clean after a trip to the range as should be done and want to keep it oiled. The manual had no instructions where to oil that I saw. Where in particular should I be putting oil to keep my gun functioning properly and reliably? I have a cheapy universal cleaning kit that has Outers oil in it. Is this good to use or should I get something better? How about 3 in 1 oil? I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
Your oil is fine, I use Mobil1. I usually oil the slide rails and the trigger pivots and engaement surfaces.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slide rails inside the slide right? Trigger pivot I can find ok but what engagement surfaces?

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
The part of the hammer where another part slides against it to release it when fired. The two parts together are called the sear.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
30,006 Posts
I don't have a 709, but I do what Jim does on my semi auto's. Basically the moving parts.

As to Oil I use Hoppe's oil. Asking which oil is better is like asking which caliber is best. 10 people will give you 20 opinions! :D Also some work better for different applications...

If what you have works for you that's what counts.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I have used oil and grease both on my firearms - usually oil where it needs to penetrate and grease on the rails. Again, whatever works for you. Several different trains of thought on the where and what type oil question.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I use the rule if it goes around, oil it. If it slides, grease it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Check out "Goldenloki.com" - go to the gunsmith tab, & then click on the Kel Tec lubrication guide - there are clear illustrations and good instructions as well as suggested lubricants. The Pistol in the pics is very similar to the 709, and the instructions will work for any pistol.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I'm pretty anal about cleaning my guns. I clean after every range session, and clean my carry gun once a week. I don't use any grease, just 3 and 1 oil. If I went a long time between cleanings, I'd probably use a light grease on the rail and other sliding parts. I use oil for two reasons; 1) lubrication and 2) protection. Any lubricant will pick up dust and dirt. Part of the cleaning process is removing contaminated lubricant.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
These guys have it all pretty well covered. If you shoot in cold weather, you might want to consider Dri Slide to lube your gun as oils and greases will slow the action and may cause a malfunction.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
hear ya go
the one armed man guide to cleaning and oiling your 709
jhp

·
Registered
586 Posts
Clean and oil after fire at the range all the time. 3 in 1 oil works fine for me. A cleaned oiled gun works good every time. A dirty unoiled gun will jam and using Murphy's Law, it will be jamming when you need it most!

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
My general rule with oiling is wherever a part moves gets a little lubing. There is no end-all-be-all in lubricants, everyone has their favorites for multiple reasons. Some use a single type, others use combinations of lubricants like I do. I use BreakFree CLP for overall cleaning/lubing/and final wipe down, Tetra Gun Grease for slide rails and trigger assemblies, and I use any dry lube I have handy for the inside of magazines. Just find what works for you and stick to a cleaning regiment with occaisional checks on weapons in long storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts