Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a particular quandary. I'm getting into some minor prepping and I've been reading a lot about people buying a cheap rifle (like a Mosin or even a .22) and burring it in their backyard. Well, here's the issue, I live in an apartment and I don't have a backyard. I do have a small front yard but it's not mine (i rent) and I have neighbors who would know what I was doing if I started digging a hole in the yard.

So, what does a wanna be prepared person do? Do I hollow out a spot in the wall of my apartment and hide it there, bury it somewhere on state land and hope no one else finds it?

Oh and before you say, "move" that is just not an option nor is buying a home right now. So what do you prepper types think? Has this question come up before? I'm sure there must be other apartment dwelling preppers out there.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well if your worried about mold moisture and mildew millpro they have plastic bags for guns that you can buy to prevent that, also tubes to bury them in go check out cheaper than dirt. To the op, if its time to bury it then its time to use it.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Well if your worried about mold moisture and mildew millpro they have plastic bags for guns that you can buy to prevent that, also tubes to bury them in go check out cheaper than dirt. To the op, if its time to bury it then its time to use it.
Back in 1957, a '57 Plymouth Belvedere was buried in a water-tight time capsule vault, and when it was unearthed fifty years later, the car was a hunk of rusted junk.

No thanks, I'll just keep my firearms nearby and/or in places where they will be safe from the elements, but easily accessible.

I appreciate the tip, though.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
There's a reason why you find new weapons loaded with cosmoline and wrapped in plastic. If you wrap a weapon in plastic it can sweat, and does more damage than it does good so the grease is a must. If you've absolutely gotta bury a weapon I would recommend a section of PVC pipe, sealed on both ends with several desiccant bags thrown in for good measure, and I'd grease it good. Otherwise you're liable to open it up and find you've now got a big bag of rust. JAT

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I'm with MilProGuy. Guns should be with you or in a gun safe. Consider getting a gun safe then put it in the bedroom.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Really, if you bury the rifle then you'll have to put in a marker so you remember where it is - generally speaking, a teeny-tiny tombstone might be nice.
Then, of course, there's the ceremony and you really should tip the clergyman a few bucks for saying a few words over the grave and it all just gets to be one big magilla and...

Have you thought about putting it in the closet?

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
Burying a gun is only applicable to the "government is going to take my guns away" scenario. If that's what you are concerned about, make friends with a rural inhabitant and have him bury your gun. Clean the gun well - contaminants catalyze rust. Include dessicants in storage container. Remove wooden parts before applying grease - wood and grease do not get along well long-term.

Or go with a different strategy and stay mobile. Any gun not in your hands is a gun that your enemies can use to shoot you.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I'd suggest you be creative. If it's confiscation you're concerned with, keep in mind those that would do that, will bring their metal detectors and other implements of discovery!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Build a small stud wall across a corner in a room and decorate like the rest of room, not moisture problems and easy to hand

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I'm curious as to why you would bury a gun? I have both registered and, shall we say, grandfathered guns. One thing I know for sure, if SHTF day is imminent, there will be a break in at my house and my guns will be stolen. 'Nuff said.

·
Super Moderator
40,409 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts