Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When removing grips on some handguns I struggle to get a screwdriver in the slot. Just one wrong turn and I will have a boogered up grip screw.
I have looked at Lowes, Home Depot and Harbour Freight- no luck.

I see sets on Midway USA, but they appear to be normal size tips.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Go to Brownells and order some Magna-Tip Bits and you can use them with any driver you can change tips on. I got them in sets for my 45 Colt SAA/and Clones, Rossi's 92/Winchester 92, Marlin 336/Rossi Rio Grande and they fit perfectly for most guns. It was a total of 11 bits as I bought single bits not really sets so didn't buy duplicates. They run about $2-$3 ea. but well worth it in saving your gun screws.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay- thanks.

I took a regular slot-head screwdriver with a 4" shaft a 1/4" wide blade and put it on the grinder. A file may have been better, but I don't have a vise to hold it. This will work for now.
I will check out the Magna-tips at Brownells-

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
A standard B-Square gunsmith set is adequate for most simple
gun applications [Midway, Amazon, etc]
I have supplemented the B-Square sets with WIHA [ten-fold]
and never had the quality matched by any other.
A little pricey some may say [and have] but if ONE bit buggers
up my [anything] is it worth the price you paid for a tool ?

Wiha Professional Quality Tools Home Page

I have them for my reload/smithing bench, shop, electrician bag, etc.
Regular, mini, micro,........and never had one deform.

·
Super Moderator
22,854 Posts
I picked up a set for around $20 at a gun show I got tired of messing up my guns screws. Believe me its worth it I really would have spent more had I new what difference it made when taking apart my favorite guns. It has about 25 different bits and then a set of allen head bits as well as torx even thou you don't use many of the Torx. My friend got a larger set from Midway and probably a better quality but mine work great for the money spent. You just put what bit looks close and try one on either size in the case till you get a exact match. They seat firm and there is no chance for slippage. This is one little tool box that is worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Okay- thanks.

I took a regular slot-head screwdriver with a 4" shaft a 1/4" wide blade and put it on the grinder. A file may have been better, but I don't have a vise to hold it. This will work for now.
I will check out the Magna-tips at Brownells-

Thanks all.
This method is all good and peachy.....and I mean no slam to anyone, BUT....
when you grind and file on them, you run a high risk of altering the temper
of the steel, and create a problem that only shows up at the worst time.
A good quality tool is.....just that.
My apologies for my [hard] attitude......too much green tea at this time of day. :):)

·
Registered
30,339 Posts
It's not the thickness of the blade. The common straight screwdriver has a tapered blade. (2-4)
Gunsmithing screwdrivers are hollow-ground. (1 & 6)

·
Registered
8,812 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I picked up a set for around $20 at a gun show I got tired of messing up my guns screws. Believe me its worth it I really would have spent more had I new what difference it made when taking apart my favorite guns. It has about 25 different bits and then a set of allen head bits as well as torx even thou you don't use many of the Torx. My friend got a larger set from Midway and probably a better quality but mine work great for the money spent. You just put what bit looks close and try one on either size in the case till you get a exact match. They seat firm and there is no chance for slippage. This is one little tool box that is worth every penny.
Security torx are handy too, you know the ones with the hole in the middle for those with pesky studs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.