Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a puzzler -- where are all of the people who have bought up all of the guns? Serious question. All shelves -- Academy, Bass Pro, my LGDs -- are pretty empty.

But there is no crowd at the range. I'm not unhappy about that, as I don't like crowds when I shoot. Just wondering where everyone who rushed out to buy a gun is doing with them? Now, some were bought by long-time gun owners who understood that the inventories would dry uup quick, so they bought taht one piece they had been planning on. But from what I could see, many, many guns were bought by newbies, probably thinking they might not get another chance. And I don't blame them.

I just never see them down at my local range.

·
Administrator
41,058 Posts
I suspect a huge number of the folks that ran out and bought up the guns and ammunition, are first time owners. And I figure they aren't shooters as well. A lot of it will see little or no use. :sad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
We had a huge surge in memberships at my club, the monthly newbie meeting was packed the past few months. Imagine the surprise when the club is no more crowded than usual, even less truthfully.

That being said, the local pay to play range has been packed. One of the shop owners told me people had been waiting 6 hours for a lane.

WOW!!!

Sent from my Desire HD

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Just wondering where everyone who rushed out to buy a gun is doing with them?
Keeping them in the closet, right next to the golf clubs, tennis racket and electric guitar (that they couldn't live without).

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you spend two times as much as you should for a gun because you bought in to all the panic maybe you can't afford ammo now.
I just love it. All these doinks running around snapping everything up and now all they have to show for it are some very expensive guns and a maxed out credit card.
I'm calling BS on that one. I'm new, though I used to shoot a lot when I was a kid. Though I'm sure some people maxed out their credit cards, I for one saved and used my tax money. I bought my Taurus in FEB and I didn't overspend and actually had been planning this for years and I'm finally in a place (financally and physically (AZ)) where I can afford to get the guns I want.

A lot of "new" gun owners don't go to the ranges around here because of the good ol' boy atitude and gun snobs. I do however only have to drive a few miles out in the desert and have tons of shooting places to choose from. And Ill tell you, some Sunday mornings with all the people out there, its like a war zone!:D

I have found a local indoor range thats cool though the desert is free. It's just dealing with other people sometimes can be a PITA.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Here!!!

I was raised with shotguns/rifles mainly shotguns.
About 8 yrs ago I sold all but a shotgun a 22 rifle that I'll never part with.
I'll admit i got caught up in the insanity. Since the first of February I've purchased a 709 slim and a Ruger P95, also around 1200 rds of ammo. I have a stash of about 500 rds and a bucket of brass :)

Yes, I am product of the frenzy but I think I'm buying at fair prices. Pretty much all ammo comes from Walmart. I'm patient and lucky. I've never paid much more than a quarter rd. :)
Gun prices
709 slim $330 gander mtn
Ruger P95 $470 local shop

Reactions: MTPOCKETS

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'm sure a lot of them don't have much ammo or no ammo. Makes it tough to go to the range.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Some people are complaining the gun manufactures are making a ton of money.So what.I for one am glad to see people exercise ther 2nd amendment right.Let them keep buying weather they shoot or not.Maybe they are just speculators and will sell off thier stock cheap when the whole thing falls flat.In the end we shooting enthusiasts wil still be here going strong.Lets here it for the Taurusarmed gang.:thumb:

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Most of the FLL transfers I've processed lately are for buyers who have no ammo. They aren't shooting because they can't buy any ammo.
And I'd bet the ones who do have ammo aren't shooting because they don't have to.
Dammit, we're Americans! Every last one of us carries the DNA of Wild Bill Hickok and Annie Oakley and we sure as hell don't have to waste time and ammo on practice because it all comes to us natural.
Why, any man-jack of us can strap on a hogleg and knock a squirrel's eye out at 90 feet. Offhand. With our back to the target. And by-God-uphill all the way!

·
Registered
751 Posts
My local indoor range is slammed! Used to be able to get a lane just about anytime you wanted and for months it's been 45min to an hr wait if you aren't in line before the doors open on the weekend.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm calling BS on that one. I'm not new and I shoot every week.
We don't have a desert here. I choose to live where human life is possible.
I belong to three ranges here. I have yet to meet a good ol' boy, whatever the heck that is, or a gun snob.
Everyone has been very friendly, eager to help and more than happy to let you be if that is what you want.

There. Now we have both called BS on each other so we are even.
Next time it happens I will meet you at 1000 yards with Ruger MK III's with open sights.
I go first. I have 10,000 rounds and a lunch packed.
Ok, ok, we're even. :p I'll admit I was venting a little here. The nicest range here in town has the biggest group on snobs on it and if you aren't part of their cilque you don't matter. So i kinda genralized things.

I'll take you up on your offer anytime, depending on whats for lunch.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The two ranges I frequent have been very busy - a 5 and 20 lane. Weekends are packed and the 20 lane is open til 10 Friday and Saturday. You are usually in line for 30 - 60 minutes. Ammo is hard to find, but people are shooting. 6 months ago, it was nothing like it is now.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ok, ok, we're even. :p I'll admit I was venting a little here. The nicest range here in town has the biggest group on snobs on it and if you aren't part of their cilque you don't matter. So i kinda genralized things.

I'll take you up on your offer anytime, depending on whats for lunch.
I, erm, think you bring your own lunch to that one.

I'll bet that TA membership is up as new owners are looking for further info about what they have just gotten into.

My seat-o-pants meter tells me that there has been a 39.73% increase in the "what ammo should I shoot?" Question - nearly equal to the "where can I buy ammo" and "where can I buy mags?" Questions.

This is also happening on the Mossberg site where I hang and the release of the 22LR "tactical style" 715 has brought a huge number of folks ( not ALL) recent paintball grads who want to play AR tacti-kewl now!

Locsl ranges here are doing more than brisk business. Indoor seems highly favored by new owner$ and I'm seeing more couples shooting together than ever - a good thing! It was raining and cool at the last IDPA match I shot and I thought I'd see a drop in attendance based on that. Nope. 90 shooters came out ( a big number for the club) and 12 were 1st time shooters SO there may be an interest in shooting beyond the range and into shooting sports OR an interest in improving gun skills - either way a good thing!

Anyhow, that's all anecdotal prattle from where I sit but I'm not shy and have 2 more events scheduled this month plus range time for ammo testing. Last time at the range I asked what the two women in the booth next to me were shooting. Turns out it was a 1950 Winchester lever 30-30. Seeing my eyebrows raise the owner, who was out with her friend for HER first ever shooting lesson)asked if I wanted to shoot - yeah, I took her up on it. Her dad bought it for her as a kid so they could hunt together and his 308 (?) was too much gun for her. Smooth wood, nice patina. I put 2 on paper standing at 50 yds (iron sights) and my grin got bigger. They passed on some rounds on the AR I had out - they were in their own groove and it was a good thing!!

time to step off the box! :)

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
There was a class going on when I went to the range on Sunday...First time I ever had to wait for a lane..Of course I didn't stay very long, don't wanna shoot up what little ammo I have!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I hope all the newbies will get into the sport and learn to love it as much as we do.

I am sure there are as many with safe queens as there are new shooters.

Mainly I hope they all get training and learn the four rules of gun safety by heart.

Reactions: n8vtexan

·
Registered
17,776 Posts
After reading this again, not cool man, not cool. Were supposed to be in this together, not threatning each other.
Whatever. Just to sooth your overactive sensitivities I deleted all my posts.
The day I am accused of threatening someone by trying to use humor to accent one of my posts
is the day I discover I do not belong here.

Ya'll have a good day.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Okay boys - TRUCE! Anyway, where I live indoor ranges are few and far between and it's no fun shooting in 10 degree weather during a snow storm so I have shot very little since December but I have still managed to procure some nice (at least to me) firearms over the long NY winter. I have a friend who is trying to match me purchase for purchase. We have each bought four since June and two each since Christmas. Heck he bought two handguns in the past week! So THAT is where some of the guns and ammo are going. Just us Yankees gearing up for our 2 week stretch of summer. :) Hey - it's all good right? We have thus far supported Ruger, Taurus, Savage, Remington and Sig during our little spree.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts