Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Tracker. It's a .41 Mag in Titanium. (425SH4C) I see that they have been discontinued. Was it because of poor sales? Will this now hold it's value or even be worth more in the future? Thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't know if it will increase in value within a reasonable amount of time but I suspect it will be a desired gun to some (outdoors types I'd expect) due to the light weight and power of the 41 mag.

Steelheart

·
Registered
497 Posts
I believe any time we see a certain model gun discontinued, regardless of how well they function, it is because of poor sales. Gun companies are in business to make a profit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I believe the older decent looking Trackers were replaced by the "ugly" newer model that will shoot the .410 shotshell (Trackers in .45 Colt that is). Not sure what kind of a market there would be for the new model since I've read that having both rounds in one gun compromises the effectiveness of both, but I for one have absolutely no interest in this gun, if for no other reason than on looks alone. I was interested in a double action revolver in .45 Colt, at one time, but could find no other manufacturer making one that was reasonably priced except Taurus....then they had to go and screw the thing up with this new model.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think part of the time when Taurus discontinues a model its to free up production capacity to make a new model. The old model might not be selling horribly, but its low boy on the list.

The discontinuing of the Ti models might be due to overall metal prices. If the base stuff is going sky high, what is the expensive metals doing?

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
I don't know if it will increase in value within a reasonable amount of time but I suspect it will be a desired gun to some (outdoors types I'd expect) due to the light weight and power of the 41 mag.

Steelheart
I know I'm one outdoorsman that drooled when I heard about this gun. I wanted one bad, 24 ounces on the hip and bear killin' power. It might be a handful with full power loads, but it'd sure be a hiker's dream. I'd like a .41 anyway, like the caliber and don't have one. But, it was dropped well before I could budget for it. Bummer. I don't do a lot of hiking anymore, though, but this gun would be a fine carry IWB, too, considering how light it is. I might download it some for that, reduce recoil. I'm a handloader or I wouldn't be so high on the .41. But, it's a caliber I've always admired and never owned or loaded for.

·
Super Moderator
35,012 Posts
Oh, btw, that gun didn't sell, it's pretty worthless, no retained value. You need to sell it to me for half what you gave for it. I'll help you out from under that red herring you got there. :D

j/k

Seriously, I think most .41s are lackluster in sales. There's not a huge variety of ammo on the market in .41 and unlike the .44 or the .357, there's not a lighter special load to fire in it as an alternative. It just sort of never really caught fire. But, the caliber is a handloaders dream, lots of power available in a smaller than .44 package. It will do whatever a .44 mag will do and is a more compact load. I'd suspect sales is the reason it was dropped.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
NativeTexan said:
Oh, btw, that gun didn't sell, it's pretty worthless, no retained value. You need to sell it to me for half what you gave for it. I'll help you out from under that red herring you got there. :D

Seriously, I think most .41s are lackluster in sales. There's not a huge variety of ammo on the market in .41 and unlike the .44 or the .357, there's not a lighter special load to fire in it as an alternative. It just sort of never really caught fire. But, the caliber is a handloaders dream, lots of power available in a smaller than .44 package. It will do whatever a .44 mag will do and is a more compact load. I'd suspect sales is the reason it was dropped.

j/k
What I suspect is that Taurus® touts a new model (or models) & then see's what the market will bear. That's why the 44 Special Models have disappeared. Your analogy of 44 Mag vs 41 Mag bears this out also. 44Mag ammo is ubiquitous; 41 Mag is not. Too bad really because the 41 Mag is a great cartridge. As to so many of the titanium models going by the wayside; metal prices are through the roof. Also sometime models are announced & then fail to appear. Case in point: at the 2006 Shot Show Taurus® anounced (and dispayed for view); a 12oz "Magnesium Mdl 85". It's yet to hit the marketplace. ??? I think the Tracker™ series are great. What I would like is to see a 3" Tracker in 357, 41, & 44Mag. Stainless, not titanium; with fixed sights. It would be great for a backpack gun but versatle for CCW too.

What I can't figure out is why they did away with all Mdl 85's in the CH version except for the most expensive model (Multi)? :eek: :mad:

·
32,495 Posts
Just as an aside. There is such a thing as a .41 Special, but that is a handloader and a custom gun affair. Reloading manuals might have some info on this as an alternative to .41 mags all the time. Then, there are reduced loads that handloaders can create in .41 mag cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts