Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,699 Posts
I've often said, ruefully, that when I cut or injure myself that it's a way to re-check my immune and healing response. Know wood, so far ..so good. Diabetes screws with that big time for the decline in circulation and nerve feedback. I hope that your healing continues well and complete. We learn lessons along the path of life and our main hope is that we retain the knowledge.

I have Type 2 in my family and am a prime candidate myself. I have flirted with it and scared myself enough to cut back on carbs to the point where I am consuming probably 10-15% of what I formerly did. It's working so far, knock wood, although I must add in an exercise component.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fellow diabetic here. I definitely understand how scary this whole blood sugar thing can be. I'm still on the younger side of my life (or so I tell myself), and feel invincible half the time. But when I start drinking just a bit too much water or see that yellow tinge in my toenails... I'm scared to check my sugar. I've seen it shoot over 400 a few times. And I can only imagine the effects it'll have when I'm older.

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
Not as serious as your finger but I had / have issues with my thumb. Thirty odd years ago I got some tree bark under the nail which, very quickly, went septic. I attended hospital emergency and was told it needed to be 'relived' and cleaned. OK, no problem there. The young doctor attending to it said she'd have to take off half the nail to properly clean out any infection. I asked why she couldn't take the whole nail and if she only takes half of it it will grow back with a split in it. She certainly didn't like a 'civilian' telling her how to do her job and let me know in no uncertain terms..!! Anyway, to cut (excuse the pun) a long story short, this is what I ended up with..

View attachment 467793

You can see the split and I have to make sure the nail is always kept short as I catch it on anything and everything..!!

I hope your recovery is speedy and that your injury wont impinge on your shooting.
Ya shoulda had it seen about in the American medical system. They would have taken the entire nail for just the reasons you mentioned. Here in the states, we surgeons tend to put considerable amount of attention on what the outcome will be instead of what we are originally dealing with. If you're a shooter and need a pacemaker, meet your doc know and they will put the pacemaker beneath your "weak" side collarbone.

When I went into mono vision contact lenses I let my ophthalmologist know (she and her husband shoot IPSEC and 3 Gun competitively) and made sure my right eye (aim eye) got the distant vision lens.

Reactions: ManxTom

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ya shoulda had it seen about in the American medical system. They would have taken the entire nail for just the reasons you mentioned. Here in the states, we surgeons tend to put considerable amount of attention on what the outcome will be instead of what we are originally dealing with. If you're a shooter and need a pacemaker, meet your doc know and they will put the pacemaker beneath your "weak" side collarbone.

When I went into mono vision contact lenses I let my ophthalmologist know (she and her husband shoot IPSEC and 3 Gun competitively) and made sure my right eye (aim eye) got the distant vision lens.
Maybe you fancy 'moonlighting' over here.. I need by-pass surgery on my right thigh and something called a 'stent' fitted to my left leg below the knee. Currently I'm trying to get my diabetes under control so I'm blood testing every morning and injecting something called Victoza every evening. No surgery until the doc's happy with my diabetes.

·
Super Moderator
35,015 Posts
NT, my wife has been on Gabapentin for a bit over ten years. She's had to back off some, seemhat s she's started to experience some of the psychological side effects.

Ew. THAT don't sound good.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Just had my doctor call me, he gave me great news! All my tests came back great! I've lost 15lb and continue to loose weight. My fasting blood sugar shows good. Blood pressure is good. Got flu shot and tetanus shot(I hate needles). Blood work numbers all came back good and PSA was non existent. Wants me back in a year unless covid vaccine comes out then back asap.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,678 Posts
My wife's been on gabapentin (in the form of Gralise - a sustained release formulation) for 8 years and was bedridden before it. She has given all sorts of testimonials on how it gave her her life back. Unfortunately, the release mechanism is patented and it is not available generically and private insurers do NOT like giving prior approval for it. Fortunately, I have experience in this arena and remember how nasty our state insurance commissioner got with the Blues, United Healthcare, etc back in the early 2000s. He fined the private insurers close to a billion dollars over 5 years for violating Ga state law provisions regarding insurance dealings. He isn't commissioner anymore but the big heavy rollers remember how they got financially clipped.

Maloy, they took your finger at the PIP joint - the first finger flexor just beyond the knuckle (MCP). Unless you spend a lot of time at a keyboard, I really cannot think of any significant setbacks - unless you are left handed.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Just thought of something. Before dementia started nibbling at his brain, my dad, who lost all but the pinky finger on his right hand in a railroad car coupler in 1958 used to tell me he could still feel a wart on his index finger. Last time I had him tell me that was 2010.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Type II myself I have seen the damage first hand dad, aunts and uncles no matter size of wound or what was caused by Metal/Thorn/Clipping nails buried deep or just an abrasion to skin with diabetics any just listed can go from an OW! to life threatening loss of limb just as you found out. WACKY, crazy and try to figure out what ya missed

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Hope you heal quickly. But from now on, when you wave, people will have to read between the lines.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts