Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some out patient surgery Wednesday morning all due to an infection in my middle left finger. On 8/26 I got a metal chip in my finger examining a scrap part. I got it out, cleaned and triple antibiotic, and bandaged. By 9/1 my entire finger looked like a Ballpark frank. 10 days of antibiotic and it went down, but formed a blood blister that covered the tip down past the first knuckle. It popped in less than in less than 6 days. I already was supposed to see a hand expert that coming Tuesday 9/15. Between then, the skin fell off. What I saw would have gagged a maggot. It looked like something ate across the tip of my finger like one of those flesh eating bacteria you hear about.

So 9/15 the doctor looks at it. Before he says anything, I ask, "Necrosis, isn't it?", he's like, "Yup, that's got to come off". This is Tuesday afternoon. At 7:30am Wednesday morning I report to surgery and was on my way home by 10:20am.

My flying eagle is more like a sparrow now. So why am I posting this? Type 2 diabetes may have played a role in this. The doctor told me that diabetes and certain bacterial infections do not work well for you.

So it's a wake up call to monitor my sugar much closer. Working in a machine shop for nearly 4 decades, I've been stabbed deeper and worse than this one, but I've never dealt with an infection this bad.

So I lost my left middle finger between the first and second joint. It's my weak hand, so I'll have to see how much it affects my pistol shooting as well as weak hand only.

Maloy

0916201126.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that, maloy. Like you, I have suffered innumerable cuts, pokes, scrapes and assorted and sundry pointy things in my lifetime. Fortunately, my immune system is still working like I'm 17 years old (doctor's words, not mine). Take care of what's left of that finger, you already lost too much. If you need help or support, we're here for you.

Reactions: CWB

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not as serious as your finger but I had / have issues with my thumb. Thirty odd years ago I got some tree bark under the nail which, very quickly, went septic. I attended hospital emergency and was told it needed to be 'relived' and cleaned. OK, no problem there. The young doctor attending to it said she'd have to take off half the nail to properly clean out any infection. I asked why she couldn't take the whole nail and if she only takes half of it it will grow back with a split in it. She certainly didn't like a 'civilian' telling her how to do her job and let me know in no uncertain terms..!! Anyway, to cut (excuse the pun) a long story short, this is what I ended up with..

thumb2 (2).jpg

You can see the split and I have to make sure the nail is always kept short as I catch it on anything and everything..!!

I hope your recovery is speedy and that your injury wont impinge on your shooting.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
A neighbor recently had a big toe amputated. He said his nails needed clipped and he did it after he came in from working out in his yard. he noticed the nail on his second toe had scratched his big toe. Roughed it up actually. It didn't bleed but he cleaned it good when he bathed after he went in. A week later he went to the doc because of the pain in the toe. It already had gangrene set in. 2 weeks later they cut off the toe.
He is Type 2 Diabetic, as am I. Evidently I still have good enough circulation in my feet because 2-3 months ago I stubbed my big toe into the concrete when I fell in the parking lot. It took a month and a half and the nail fell off. I got lucky then and one other time...Diabetes is nothing to mess with. I am glad you are on the mend Maloy. Take nothing to chance, especially little pokes that don't bleed a lot.
h

·
Registered
578 Posts
Always treat things like this as a bad thing and go to doctor and get help.
As we age and with other problems these things become worse.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
Well, I'm a type two diabetic. I've fretted about losing a limb or something. I'm getting old. Que sera, sera I suppose. I'm ready, though, already have the wheelchair.

Reactions: hombre243 and CWB

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've learned phantom pains are interesting. I still can't imagine the loss of a limb. I'm good at the moment, and taking it pretty well with a little bit of humor.

The pain medication is working so well, I can only use it at night. It puts me out for 5-6 hours straight. During the day, I'm good with my regular OTC arthritis medicine.

I need to come up with something funny on how it was lost. I did tell a cashier today that asked, I replied, "It happened when I gave our little schnoodle his Beggen strip. I swear those things are puppy cocaine!".

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
I have neuropathy big time, take gabapenten for it. I keep a good eye on my morning blood sugar, not sure what more I could do.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
maloy, all I can offer is prayer and heartfelt sympathy. We aren't getting younger, things don't heal like they did when we were 22. Getting old piece-by-piece is hell.

That exact loss should have a FABULOUS story worked up for it to give to the unsuspecting. Maybe Richenbacher can help you devise an epic . . . . . ?Should be either a looooo o o o ng, shaggy dog thing. Or maybe a short, epic punch. Either one would match.

"Attention, Rick! Your presence is needed in the recovery room!"

·
Registered
17,049 Posts
maloy, all I can offer is prayer and heartfelt sympathy. We aren't getting younger, things don't heal like they did when we were 22. Getting old piece-by-piece is hell.
I've still got things that have been trying to heal SINCE I was 22. Will be 74 in 9 days. :(

·
Registered
5,317 Posts

That exact loss should have a FABULOUS story worked up for it to give to the unsuspecting. Maybe Richenbacher can help you devise an epic . . . . . ?Should be either a looooo o o o ng, shaggy dog thing. Or maybe a short, epic punch. Either one would match.

"Attention, Rick! Your presence is needed in the recovery room!"
My cousin lost his middle finger somehow, probably doin something stupid. However the cover story came out that he got the finger bit off by a raccoon when he was in his crib at 2 years old, in the back yard of the family home, somewhere near Chicago. Unattended. IMHO his parents would qualify for at least a mention for the Darwin Awards. He is right there in line for other reasons.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I have neuropathy big time, take gabapenten for it. I keep a good eye on my morning blood sugar, not sure what more I could do.
NT, my wife has been on Gabapentin for a bit over ten years. She's had to back off some, seems she's started to experience some of the psychological side effects.

·
17,571 Posts
That's pretty rough. I lost a small portion of the end of my right thumb due to an industrial accident 40 years ago. It's about a 1/4" shorter than my other thumb. I really need extended slide releases on 1911's.

Hope it doesn't affect your shooting, I'm thinking you'll be O.K.

On the bright side, my imagination comes up with all sorts of humorous uses for that stump flipping people off.....

·
Registered
467 Posts
A friend of mine, well, he's pretty "frugal", so he tries to cheap out whenever he can. This has burned him several times over years I've known him, but when the following happened, he actually did get burned.
He's an unstable type 2 diabetic, and should have known better.
He had athlete's foot and rather than buy "That expensive cream", he looked online, and found some home remedy for AF. I know a lot about that kind of thing, and would have told him, NO!
So he makes up a bunch of this stuff, and puts it all over his feet after he showered, and then went to bed. He has neuropathy in his feet pretty badly, and that's why it took so long to feel the pain.
He woke up a few hours early and his feet are killing him. He gets up and looks at his feet and they are all blistered to hell and bleeding. Does he go to the doc? Does he call him? NO.
He calls me up and sent me a pic, which I won't post, because it's shockingly gross and is like 4 mb. I had a severe sunburn to my right side of my face and neck about 40 years ago, and my bed looked like someone had been murdered in it every morning, my face didn't look half as bad as his feet did. I asked him what the doc had said, "I didn't call him!". He didn't tell his wife either. He wanted to wait a couple of days to see what it was going to do, but I threatened to rat him out to his wife, so he had to tell her. The doctor was called and seen a couple of hours later, and he told him, "Why do you guys always try to cheap out when you know you're vulnerable to infections in your feet? A couple more days of this and you probably would have lost some toes or maybe your whole foot! I went to school for this stuff and then you try some idiot's home remedy and it's a disaster!". He had to take antibiotics, put some lotion stuff on his feet and soak them in a foul smelling solution to kill off the infection. It took over 4 weeks to heal completely. I guess he's finally learned not to cheap out, but in the 35 years I've known him, I think the cheap way is always his first choice. All the misery he went through because he didn't want to spend $10 for two tubes of anifungal cream.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts