Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some thoughts on buying a weapon to carry day to day and what decision criteria many of you used. I can open carry for now as I still have my police department credentials. I want something that is easier to conceal. My time on the streets taught me a lot about tactical shooting and the difference between and offensive and defensive weapon. You have to keep that in mind when you make a selection. Home protection is totally different from everyday walking around protection. The odds of you being able to be the first to fire the first or the second shot are slim to none. Your best weapons are the one between and to include your ears (eyes and head). Pulling out a full sized Glock or 1911 is going to be difficult even with at lot of training. But, a bigger weapon may be just what you need even if the bark and size are use to intimidate. most cops carry small weapons off duty because bigger weapons are not only difficult to conceal but to get to. Two guys walk up to you and put a gun to your head....you have no play. Your in a bank or gas station and someone walks in to rob the place, pulling out a big gun wont be easy. If your order on the floor and try to slow reach your hand down to your belt and pull out a long weapon to aim, the odds arent in your favor. Smaller weapons are easy to hide and to access, but may lack in lethality or accuracy. I always look at likely scenarios in what I carry.

Anywa, just trying to start the conversation. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I carry a Ruger Sr9c. It comes with either one 10 and one 17 round or two 10 round mags depending on what state you live in.

I can open carry for now as I still have my police department credentials.
Are you still active or retired? Might want to consider getting one on what ever caliber was issued to you. Don't know if they do this where you are but my local PD lets all of their current and retired officers practice with personal weapons on their range and use their ammo.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have never had a problem drawing a full size Glock from concealment, but a smaller model is easier to conceal.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i know this is a tauras forum which i own tauras firearms, but for concealed carry i love my Kahr PM 45. .45acp, 3" barrel, no external saftey and only 1" wide. most gun manufacturers only make a .380 that is as compact as Kahr makes a .45acp

·
Registered
548 Posts
Be a man and carry full size!!!! If I can conceal my OSS you can conceal almost anything except for maybe a Desert Eagle!! lol

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Barring tiny mouse guns, size matters more in concealability than in the actual draw.

I'd carry what you've had the most experience with.

Experience goes a long way in building confidence, and confidence helps build skill.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
to me its what fits you, what feels natural and comes on target immediately, after that it what you can hit with routinely, and then size, which includes weight as well as length and height, the normal means of dress plays a lot in what you can easily conceal and carry.
here the summers are hot and humid and shorts and t shirts are the norm, winter is mostly mild with 50 degree days and 30 degree nights, so light coats are norm.
I personally carry a Sig 238 (380) in a front pocket, and a Beretta PX4 SC (9 MM) in a high ride panckae holster.
they fit me, aren't to heavy or big and i can hit targets pretty good out to 12-15 yards with the Sig and 21-25 yards with the Beretta.
Although i figure if i have to use them for protection its going to be close enough to leave powder burns on somebody.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I love my Mil-Pro PT111. But I agree you need to carry what you have the most experience with, and you need to think before you act.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
+1111 for the SR9c. Very accurate once you get the trigger broken in!! It's on my hip every day.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All great points. I have a keltec I can easily conceal in my pocket. if someone walks up and does the gun in my back "give me your money" thing, it doesnt matter if you have a mini uzi. They have the advantage. Now if I get into an agrument with someone and its about to turn deadly, my odds are better and if I think smart I can gain the advantage. here is the thing I have seen and I am looking for comments on this. I respect the opinion of the statement you can CCW a full sized glock. But how many cops are shot each year? They know they should be on guard at all times yet they are still shot. And how many are found with the weapon still holstered with the retention strap on? My point is that most of the time we choose a weapon and practice a drill all day long. However, we never look at the possibility that the weapon we choose may not be the best. Also, that the scnearios you face could be different then the ones you train for. How many of us just shoot at a stationary target vs a moving one? do you know what your sights look like with adrenaline pumping through your system? what about at night? with a moving target? Guys Im just posing all these questions because I am starting to rethink what I currently carry and how I will employ that weapon system. keep up the comments as I am learning somethings.

PS, right now I carry either a keltec, or glock 22.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
The Kahr PM 45 is a great gun, but,,,,I can't spend the cash for it...I still like my little PT145!! Conceals good and easy to get to..just my 2 cents

·
Registered
253 Posts
My Glock 27 is primary, both off and in plain clothed assignments. However, I just p/u a Taurus .380 and that seems so easy to carry I am sure it will be carried quite often. I wanted a 'pocket' gun so to speak. I always say, the gun on your person is better then the gun in your car or at home. You just have to remember that when off duty, "be a good witness" unless you absolutely have to get involved in a situation. Way too many of our brothers die off duty w/o back up, by friendly fire, ect. I also believe in concealed carry vs. open carry. Just my opinon though.

Also I see you carry a glock 22, which must be your duty weapon as it was mine. The 27 is great as it is exact, just smaller. Muscle memory will kick in. Kinda why I liked the Taurus 380 I p/u as well. Feels like a real small glock.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
DCC.....You do have some very valid points since people have a wide variance in what they feel comfortable carrying concealed and still have it readily available. Personally I carry a government 1911A1 in a shoulder rig or a OWB high ride strong side, or a Colt Cobra or Taurus 617 both 2" snubbies in the same manner as the 1911A1. I do prefer a cross-draw carry when in a vehicle though.

The main thing what ever method you choose to carry is to use your eyes, ears, and brain staying on condition YELLOW at all time! When or if the time comes that you need to use your defensive weapon there is no time to plan your actions, but your mind must still be ready to adapt instantly.

The one time I actually started to pull my 1911A1 I was on a late night serice call to unlock a vehicle, while I was watching the customer and working I failed to observe a person approaching me from the rear, when he spoke I immediately stopped what I was doing and went for my weapon. Thank God my mind continued to function and react to the situation. I had the weapon out and coming to bear on him when I realized that I recognized the voice. I had nearly shot my barber!!! Talk about emotions. I felt completely drained, but I was still able to dress him up one side and down the other, without ever actually letting him know how close he came to getting shot. How would I have explained shooting him?

Follow your instincts and use your eyes, ears, and mind at all times. They are among your best defenses!

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
Weapon choice is very personal. On this forum concealed weapons are like opinions - everybody has one. Or more. :D
My usual carry is a 24/7 OSS and I have no problems concealing it. Usually. Occasionally I step down in size to a Glock 30 or 32. On very rare occasions when I am feeling paranoid about concealment I go all the way to a Glock 26. When I am having difficulty with my hands, I'll carry a Taurus snubby in .45 LC.
Of course I normally also carry a BUG.
This works for me, but take it just as an idea, you need to find what works for you.
I would reiterate one thing that has been mentioned. One good idea would be to get a gun from the same family with which you have already trained.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I wanted a single stack mag, large caliber, exposed hammer, and de-cocker. So I got a PT945.

·
Administrator
39,367 Posts
To each, his own. The original post here, details a lot of my own reasoning, for using a PT145 for a concealed carry firearm. Light, small, easily concealable, reliable, and has a big ol' hole on the business end. :thumb:

·
Registered
318 Posts
To each his own. I agree. My thoughts are reliability first, How am I going to conceal it? Is going to stay where I put it. Nothing more embarrassing than walking through Wal Mart to rest room with an M&P 40 that slid from my 4:00 IWB to my boot through my pants leg. Really glad it at least caught in the top of my boot. That could have been very disasterous. The clip broke as i was shopping for groceries and the holster weapon and all slid down the inside of my pantsleg until the muzzle hit the top of my boot. Ever since then. I think in detail about what I'm carrying and how!!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I love my G23 and a PT145 that I have carried for many years in IWB or paddle holsters under my shirts. Not full sized but not a pocket pistols either. I recently bought a Ruger LCR in 357 just to have something to stick in my pocket when not carrying the one of the others. The more I shoot and carry the LCR the more I like it. Only 5 shots but I guess you have to trade off firepower for ease of carry which will means you will carry it more often. I like the saying (The first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts