Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy Federal Lake City 5.56mm M193 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Case of 1000 Bulk Ammunition.

Should I buy it now before the price goes up due to inflation, or buy it in two years when the price goes down due to a surplus of us being out of Afghanistan and Iraq?

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
If your ready for it, make the purchase.
If you wait for two years on speculation of a US military surplus, I wouldn't count on that. The US is always involved somewhere and any surplus will simply go into storage for the next time it is needed. Not to mention that waiting two years you would need to figure on price inflation, supply, demand, it could end up costing you more down the road.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Yeah, like now. IMO, things ain't gonna get better.
Otherwise I'd be stocking up just before wintertime when I'm not going shooting until the weather gets better.
Well, that's they way I look at it.

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
You may not be able to buy ammo two years from now, you may not be able to buy ammo 10 months and a week from now, get it while the gettings good!

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Banned
893 Posts
Buy now if you can swing it, I buy a thousand rounds every month, It will be used and I only buy ammo that is on sale. You can find surplus at great prices and this is also why I have bought 3 thousand some months.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Who's to say the surplus ammo will be any cheaper than factory ammo is now? I would get it while the gettings good (and available)!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Buy now before you cant buy at all!!!!

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I agree get while the getting is good, I buy put back ammo anytime I can get a good deal.
The one thing I would point out, FMJ is great for plinking and shooting through hard cover but I am not limited by the "Rules of war", at least half my put back ammo is either HP or JSP.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Buy now, buy often and pray we won't need it. I'm no expert but if you're worried about longevity I inherited a WWII M1 carbine from my father in law. It came with vintage mags and .30 carbine ammo. The ammo performed just fine. So I added just a little more.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You may not be able to buy ammo two years from now, you may not be able to buy ammo 10 months and a week from now, get it while the gettings good!
I agree with this. Get as much ammo as you can afford. Lean times may be ahead.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
A little here and there tucked to the back of the cabinet/safe/closet/etc. Will build up faster than you realize. Especially if you don't have to buy 7 different calibers to build your supply like me. Thank God .22LR is still pretty darn cheap in relation to the larger rounds.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your ready for it, make the purchase.
The time is now.
Yeah, like now.
get it while the gettings good!
Buy now if you can swing it,
I would get it while the gettings good (and available)!
Buy now before you cant buy at all!!!!
I agree with this.
Any time ammo is available, is the time to buy it.
Buy when you can afford to.
A little here and there tucked to the back of the cabinet/safe/closet/etc. Will build up faster than you realize.
I agree get while the getting is good, I buy put back ammo anytime I can get a good deal.
The one thing I would point out, FMJ is great for plinking and shooting through hard cover but I am not limited by the "Rules of war", at least half my put back ammo is either HP or JSP.
If I am hearing you all correctly, you are saying to buy now. ;)

I was thinking of 5.56 for the extra punch, but Stallard makes a good point. I will have to go to .223 for that, and I see that stuff is scarce right now. But that looks like what I will be purchasing.

Thanks for all of your insights.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Some people are saying the time is now, the time for me will be in another 10 days, cause guess what I'm spending my tax return on.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Now could be a great time to buy ammo, if this weekends gunshow is any indication.

One vendor, brought in over $2,000,000 dollars of ammo in, and that was his cost not selling price. He had 9mm 115 gr JHP for 89.50 for a case. Other was similarly priced.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Actually, you should always have a good supply of all ammo for each gun. There isn't a bad time. Now would be a great time to start reloading.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Buy now and buy regularly. I get most of mine from a local who reloads commercially and watch for sales. The problem is that when I get ammo it begs me to take it to the range.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts