Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found several, less than 50 WIN 9mm cases that would not take a primer until I swaged the primer pocket. This is all range find brass, and I found it odd.

Of course I could find the remainder of the box(?) the next time I scavenge brass.

obligatory pic

IMG_3172.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Good, it ain't on .38 special. Bought some WWB .38 today for the brass. :D

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I've run across more than what I would think is usual since reloading a lot of 9mm lately. I'm using a Lyman case station for my brass. When I clean the primer pocket, if it seems tight for the brush, I will run it through the small pocket reamer to be sure that I don't get any surprises when I seat the primer. So far, so good, no problems at all with those pesky crimps.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I quit reloading 9mm, after buying the bullets, primers and powder I can buy factory ammo for about the same price.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Winchester makes a lot of ammo with crimped and sealed primers. I have several boxes of 45 ACP 230 HP Law Enforcement Ammo and a few boxes of 38 Spl 125 gn JSP +P with crimped and sealed primers. I just looked and found a box of Winchester 40 S&W 180 gn Sub Sonic with crimped and sealed primers. I think it depends on the intended application for the ammo. Law Enforcement and Military will have crimped and sealed primers.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
haven't found any 38 SPL but have in 9 MM and 45 acp as mentioned .
my range has a lot of police and federal agency guys that shoot there and do qualifications.
I don't do 40 so aren't familiar with that winny brass.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I wonder if it's the "NATO" loads they make?

I've run across a lot of 9mm brass lately that has a crimp. :( Enough so I'm going to look into a primer swagger.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Here lately I have had problems getting some primers to seat and some I just discarded to my knowledge I've never had issues with primers seating except one every now and then I've picked up a lot of 9mm brass through the last four years now I have found a few Berdon brass in different calibers and throw those away next time I'll check the primer pocket against other known good ones

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I wonder if it's the "NATO" loads they make?

I've run across a lot of 9mm brass lately that has a crimp. :( Enough so I'm going to look into a primer swagger.
Nato brass is usually marked O with a + superimposed. But it is possible. There are 5 different L E agencies, National Guard and Army Reserve that use our range.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I've been seeing a few 9mm that way. I just figure like some .223 they maviva civilian batch with NATO settings.
After the last batch of new and tight 9mm cases I bought a good Hornady primer reamer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts