Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you consider yourself a wheelgunner or an autoloader at heart?

• Wheelgunner Person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Autoloader Person

• I've always felt equally drawn to both

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both - prefer to carry auto but like revolver in the drawer.
Started out with Ruger .22 auto, next was Security-6. Two of most reliable firearms out there. Only gun I've ever had to lock up so tight that I had to take it to a smith was the Security-6. It was tight and one grain of unburned powder (from reload) got under extractor star and locked it up but good. I've been very lucky. Only other handgun that I've had trouble with was Kel-Tec and that was caused by after-market magazines. Springfield, Walther, H&K, Ruger, and Taurus have all been very kind to me.
Wish Taurus would bring back 45 ACP wheelgun - about the time I decided it was perfect for the bedside drawer they quit making it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
To obtain a CCW in Oklahoma, you must demonstrate ability with an autoloader to be able to carry one; it also means you can legally carry a revolver or a derringer as well. Why, I don't know, but if you qualify with a revolver, you won't be able to legally carry an auto concealed. Anyhow, I own both, like both and carry one just about as much as the other.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
stephpd said:
Autos for me. I've never even shot a revolver. But I'm looking at the Judge. 5 rounds of shotgun shells seems so cool in a revolver. :D
+1
Though I shot a friend's revolver eons ago, they never have had much appeal to me. But the Judge, that's a whole different animal. I plan to get one chambered for 3" shells when the S/S version is available.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mostly because if I pull the trigger and doesn't go boom I just pull the trigger again no racking the slide to get another round in the chamber!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
wheelgun,too lazy to chase brass all day.for home defense i'd like a judge.trouble is the supreme court ruled in favor of a dishwasher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
own both but prefer auto loader. faster cleaning. easy to carry addional clips over addional ammo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like both. I have a Springfield XD 45 for duty carry and I just obtained a Taurus 450 for off duty and home defense. Interesting thing is that the wife took to the revolver like a fish to water even though she has been shooting autoloaders since we met 8 years ago. She likes it for the simplicity. Makes me feel better when I'm at work.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
wedwards said:
own both but prefer auto loader. faster cleaning. easy to carry addional clips over addional ammo.
you can always use speed loaders for revolvers, still a little slower but i've seen people get really fast with them just the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
eprn said:
I carry revolvers, but I have bottom-feeders at home. I love both, don't get me wrong. I always envisioned my CCW weapon being used at extreme close quarters where the snubbie shines. I wholehartedly agree with NYPD. If I need more than 5 rounds, I have a big problem on my hands.
You have a big problem on your hands because you're carrying a gun that only holds 5 rounds. And I don't have a problem with that, just pointing out that you could carry more rounds. That's your decision, it's not technology that's limiting you.

Semi's are just as concealable, hold many more rounds and ultimately are very, very reliable. My MillPro has yet to malfunction and I wouldn't even consider it a great semi-auto (unless we're talking reliability).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I grew up shooting both. I have 2 autos and 1 revolver. The 1911's are rock solid shooters and i've carried my compact 45 for a while now.

I love wheelguns for their simplicity and ease of deployment. Draw and punch.

Each person has their preferences for what they like and I don't judge them for what they use or carry. Just as long as you can hit consistently with accuracy, fine by me.

Every one has a toolbox. Some have more tools than others, I just have a few for different situations. :shooter:

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Interesting that as it stands now with a little more than 100 votes, each of the choices has drawn roughly 1/3rd of those cast.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Interesting that as it stands now with a little more than 100 votes, each of the choices has drawn roughly 1/3rd of those cast.
I think it's because revolvers have made a big time comeback in the past 5 years. I'm a revolver guy at heart but find myself carrying pistols more and more lately.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am autoloader guy myself, but I can see the allure of the wheel gun. There are a couple that I would like to have someday, but I have a few more autos to get first.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Allure is different than necessity. Having recently returned to gun ownership after a twenty plus year absence, my initial purchases were made based on necessity and the practical application of what I intended the weapon to do for me. The 970 Tracker (wheel gun) was purchased for cheap range time and the Steyr M9-A1 (auto-loader) for HD. In Illinois we don’t have a carry law so I carry a very heavy cell phone that I can chuck at the BG (range 5 feet, but very accurate!!) right after I dial 911.

Having gotten the basic purchases out of the way allure comes next… You know, those guns you want just for the Hell of it. Funny thing is, when I look at my wish list, it’s about even in autos vs. revolvers. In revolvers I want (not need) a model 444 ultraLite in titanium blue or a .454 RB with a 2 ¼” barrel. I must admit that the Ruger Alaskan in 454 is pretty cool also. In autos I want a Beretta PX4 in 9mm and a Taurus 909 in the same caliber. While I like the looks of a revolver I enjoy the wiz-bang of the autos. Put my vote down for “I don’t have a clue”.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well shoot! I wonder why I bought THE JUDGE first. My excuse was I had been away from guns for most of 40 years, and just wanted one that had stopping power, and dual function and dealt with a field of fire issue here on the farm. "actually I just thought that huge thing was pretty, in addition to having the 45's stopping power.

My oldest son, kind of wanted me to get a mini glock, or a S&W 357. But That much money I was not prepared to spend. So, I got the PT111, which shoots great, but I don't Yet!!! Then I decided that maybe I would be better off with a 357 or 38 as I was not shooting accurately with the PT111, (my excuse to get another gun), it turns out I am more accurate with the 357 snubby than with the semi auto.

Oh and I got a 22LR & 22Mag, SA revolver so I could practice cheaply, "again this was an excuse, but it sounded good in my mind."

So in 6 months I bought 4 new guns, three revolvers and one semi auto. No more excuses, and wife may use one, but I doubt it, "again I bought one for her, excuse again". I think my main reason for going to revolvers for most of my guns, was I hate to pick up brass! when I shoot on my home made range here on the farm.

The whole thing is shoot what you enjoy, enjoy what you shoot, and hope the wife loves you or tolerates your guns because they are fun, and actually if you use your head harmless as a hobby.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts