Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Do you consider yourself a wheelgunner or an autoloader at heart?

• Wheelgunner Person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Autoloader Person

• I've always felt equally drawn to both

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many here consider themselves first and foremost a revolver person or a pistol person at heart? For how many would it be equal?

I have to say that while I like pistols, and moreso still in recent years, I grew up shooting revolvers more and feel I'm more of a wheelgunner at heart.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Revolvers hands down, cheapest to feed and can do just about anything you want to do. But for me its mainly the fact that all the semi automatics that id actually like to own, havent been made in well over 70 years, and for most of those id really like, the ammunition hasnt been made since well, the 1930s.

·
32,658 Posts
Started out as a revolver man. Easier to learn and shoot with. Simplicity in manual of arms,clean, maintain and shoot just made it easier for a beginner to learn on and maintain. Getting into the action shooting games meant using an auto loader for the most part. Since both have a lot going for them still, there are good reasons to stay with both kinds. When the semi auto crowd gives grief over the so called older design, there is reason to remind them that the semi autos technology goes back as far as late 1880s or so. One can find good reasons to use either a revolver or a semi-auto design. Both fill different niches as well as some of the same. Most hunting handguns are of revolver design.Some are carried for hunting cartridges alone and others are used for defense or as a tool out in the woods. There are some semi-auto cartridges that can take big game also. Just not as many as for revolvers. Go with what you feel like that gets the job done.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The wheelgun will always be the bedside weapon. I definately own more autos and carry autos exclusively, but have always loved the simplicity and reliability of the revolver.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Guess I'm more of an autoloader guy but I'm leaning more towards wheel guns lately. I think part of the trouble over the years was that I just wasn't finding revolvers that really fit my hands. It was easier to find an auto that fit.

Steelheart

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have always been an autoloader guy. i grew up thinking the 1911 was the standard in both ego and muscle and always saw the revolvers as old school, and not the new thing. i bought my 1911 years ago and kind of fell out of love w/ it because it was so finicky to shoot. i was introduced to the milleniun pro at my ccw class as well as the h-k's, sig's glock's etc. i bought the bigger brother 24/7 (in 45 of-course) and have flat out fallen in love with it. my pistol arsenol has since grown to many, and just tonight i put a pt140 in my arsenal. the only revolver i got is a collectable that i rarely take out to the range. like Steelheart, i have trouble with grips, my hands are very large.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am drwan to both, depending on the situation. There are some autos that are every bit as reliable as a revoplver, but the revolver has a slight advantage when it somes to calibers. For hunting or self defense against large animals (pigs, bear, etc.), the reolver wins hands down. The .357 is adequate and the .44 Mag. is very respectable in this realm. Then, when you get to .454, etc. well, nothing stands a chance. The 10 mm is adequate for pigs and maybe bear, but I would rather have the revolver with a .44 or larger.

However, for defence against a person, any will work. I am absolutely impressed with all of the guns I have right now. If not, I would not own them :^). My Ruger P90 is my home defense weapon and it is absolutely reliable. My carry gun is a PT145 and it too is absolutely reliable.

Todd

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a new shooter for the last year, I am a revolver guy. I was recommended a .357 to start with, and well thats what I still have. Plus like everyone else admits, they are easier to use, no weird mantras for jams and just plain cool.

Dirty Harry had a revolver, now so do I.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just can't get over the capacity of the autoloader. I just read an article about the miami shootout in 86 and if more of those agents had auotloaders there may have been less casualties. In a dire situation I imagine it may be hard to reload a revolver, especially if one of your hands are incapacitated.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Let's lay it out straight: NOT ONE SINGLE FIREARM IS 100% RELIABLE. Now to get into more detail---The standard service issue weapon of the NYPD is the Glock 19 with a New York trigger. I have used this firearm for 15 years. I have had the distinct opportunity to test other firearms that the Dept. was considering. The NYPD does more research than the FBI, CIA, ATF, Border Patrol, and the US Marshall Service as to which firearm they will be using as a duty piece. The Glock pistols are the most consistent and trustworthy for a semi-auto---BUT---they do not always function the way they are supposed to. They do stovepipe occasionally (something you do not want in the middle of a firefight in the Bronx), the striker does not hit the primer hard enough--VERY RARELY---causing a failure to ignite. These two prior statements hold true for EVERY semi-auto pistol. I carry a S&W 340PD airlite .357 5-shot revolver. The point is this---you fire one shot out of your semi-auto and the round just so happens to stovepipe. Next thing you know and the medical examiner is trying to extract 4 rounds of .357 Magnum out of your torso. I trust my revolver as my primary carry weapon because if I honestly need to fire more than five rounds I'm probably already dead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My standard carry weapon is a S&W mod. 65, 3" rd. butt. I carry it because it is stone
cold dead reliable and has plenty of punch to boot. But I also occasionally carry a kel-tec P11 or a Makarov depending on the mode of dress. In the summer, while wearing shorts, the P11 with a metal clip carries on the waistband real well. The Makarov is flat enough to fit inside the waistband on tighter clothing when required. My bedside gun is a 1911 SA Loaded model with Gold dots.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I carry revolvers, but I have bottom-feeders at home. I love both, don't get me wrong. I always envisioned my CCW weapon being used at extreme close quarters where the snubbie shines. I wholehartedly agree with NYPD. If I need more than 5 rounds, I have a big problem on my hands. At home, it's the trusty Glock 19. I have a light and more ammo (if I need it). I always felt that home defense is different from carry, and that the tactics would be different.

It's just me. I doubt there is a right answer here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was at the range last weekend. The guy next to me was shooting a Kimber cobra semiauto. I was shooting my revolvers. I was commenting about how sharp looking that Kimber was, with laser cut scales on the grip panels , and cobra etching on the receiver. He said yea it looks nice , but stove pipes at least once every clip or so. Wish he had brought his revolver. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will always have a 357 MAG. revolver.
I will always have a PT92 semi-auto.

·
Registered
108 Posts
"I'll admit that a full-size pistol will hold more rounds than a medium-frame revolver. So what? As those of us who have not been mesmerized by the high-capacity myth like to point out, if you can't handle a defensive situation with six rounds of .357, you don't need a handgun. You need a SWAT team!"
Paul Scarlata, Shooting Times

·
Registered
545 Posts
You carry what you like. My revolvers have never had a problem. I don't have to worry about the slide coming in contact with an atacker or other object and not firing. If I feel the need for more than 5 or 7 rounds I carry more guns. The norm. is Two 5 shooters or one 7 shooter.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts