Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a smaller, easier to conceal weapon, and with my money being a little tight at the moment, I'd like a few opinions.

Would I regret trading this

for one of these?

I figure I could probably trade it even, the RIA sells for $440-$460 around here, and the PT145 is $310-$340. Anyway, what would you do? Also, if there is anyone here in the firearm retail business, do you think I'd be in the +, -, or equal as far as trading goes? By the way, the RIA has about 700 rounds through it, but is cleaned every time I shoot it, and still looks and functions as new.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
if it were me... i would do it.

·
Administrator
40,374 Posts
If concealment is your goal, I would say go for it. But I wouldn't mind having both. I use a PT145 for concealment and with the RIA being used, you would come out about even. Unless you do a face to face deal with someone.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Keep the RIA and use layaway to get the Taurus. I'd sure try to not let the RIA go, and I'd even explore options like a Crossbreed holster that might allow you to conceal it fairly well, before I let that gun go. JMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are happy with the RIA then I think you would regret it. Now, before you take that to mean the PT145 isn't worth it, that's not what I said. They are just apples to oranges. If you need something smaller to conceal, and this is the only way to do it, then I say do it. You can always get another 1911 later. Like said above, if possible, look into a layaway plan.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
lost said:
If you are happy with the RIA then I think you would regret it. Now, before you take that to mean the PT145 isn't worth it, that's not what I said. They are just apples to oranges. If you need something smaller to conceal, and this is the only way to do it, then I say do it. You can always get another 1911 later. Like said above, if possible, look into a layaway plan.
+1 what he said

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep your RIA. Start putting money aside for a PT-145. They will always cost less than the 1911. Get a cross draw holster to carry your 1911 and it will help hide the length.
My motto is "Never sell"

·
Registered
94 Posts
The message boards are full of stories about posters that regretted selling or trading off a firearm. Your post said "wanting" not "I need". Those are two similar but different scenarios. I have a PT-145; it has become my carry piece and I really like it. I also have a Sig Sauer P220 Compact. I chose not to sell it to buy the smaller Taurus. Instead, I jumped on Craigslist and sold some stuff that I could do without. That's how I accomplished "getting shed" of something to be able to acquire something else. I wish you well. And BTW: Welcome to the not very exclusive "money being a little tight at the moment" club. You're amongst a pretty good sized throng of good folks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
:DI own a PT 145 as well as a PT1911. I bought the 145 to carry concealed and I love the way it shoots. I bought the 1911 because I wanted it for other purposes, that is for comp shooting, single stack. I have yet to do this but, as said by many of the guys, keep the 1911 pistol and just lay away a 145. Most dealers will allow 60 to 90 days lay away with only 10 % down. And cooler weather is not too far away and you can carry the 1911 style pistol quite comfortably and conceal it pretty well. I carry my stainless PT 1911 quite often. I also own a Springfield XD 45 service..13 plus 1. It is a full size gun and I carry it as well. So best advice is to keep what you have and lay what you want away. Good Luck!! ;D

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my PT145 and wouldn't sell it for anything - but it doesn't have character like that 1911.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
boice1971 said:
I appreciate all the comments guys, I think I'm going to keep the 1911 and save a little from each check until it adds up.
Good call. Never get rid of something you love, you'll always regret it later. BEsides, 2 guns is just the begining of the collection! :)

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
how do you like that RIA? i heard they're pretty good for the money, looks like a nice no frills old school 1911 to me.

personally i'd keep the RIA and put money aside for a milpro.
if you like the RIA chances are you will miss it after the honey moon is over with the milpro.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I know I'm in a Taurus forum, and I'm "NOT" putting Taurus down, but the Taurus "used" gun value is half of what they are new. The RIA has a higher value used than the Taurus.

Now with that in mind, you will have to make your "own" decision. I personally would do as someone stated above, put the Taurus on layaway and keep the RIA...

JMHO

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
funny.... i have a pt145 and i want to start saving for a 1911 (25 bucks a week, so i should have enough money in a year!)....you guys are sooooo right, i regret trading my ruger towards my taurus, so maybe i sould have given a little thought before typing my reply! maybe i regret trading the ruger since it was my 1st....something about your 1st! :'(

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
The question is whether you would be better served by the taurus as a carry piece. Honestly, the 1911 frame even in a 5 inch barrel is one of the easiest pistols to conceal because they are slimmer than most other pistols. An inside the waist or a crossdraw under a shirt and you are good to go.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
mp3mogul said:
I know I'm in a Taurus forum, and I'm "NOT" putting Taurus down, but the Taurus "used" gun value is half of what they are new. The RIA has a higher value used than the Taurus.

Now with that in mind, you will have to make your "own" decision. I personally would do as someone stated above, put the Taurus on layaway and keep the RIA...

JMHO
i disagree with you, if that was true i'd be seeing 92's for 175 and milpros for 150 bucks.

i dont see them at that price ever.

i do agree taurus does'nt hold it's value like other guns thats because it's marketed as an affordable gun to start with, they dont have the long history like some other firearm makers.

however with that said and what i know of RIA they are pretty much in the same boat, RIA's are'nt "collectible" guns either.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
joe sixpack said:
i disagree with you, if that was true i'd be seeing 92's for 175 and milpros for 150 bucks.
The above prices are a fair estimate as to what you would receive if your gun was being sold to a dealer---what the dealer charges after he buys it from you is a good amount more than that.

Example---my cousin sold his PT 140 to a local dealer and got $175. (The gun was like new with only around 100 rounds down the pipe) When I went in the shop a week later, he had it in the case marked at $290.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i understand the markup the dealer will make, that is true for every single gun out there though.. that is not isolated to taurus..

they always buy for under market value, they could'nt make a profit if they did'nt because if they bought your gun from you at market value they would have to charge well above market value and no one would buy them.

·
32,737 Posts
If cash value is a major criteria and not general gun use why even put the Taurus out for consideration?

Guns can be sold privately for Blue Book value or some other pricing guide value. Privately at that for more than one can to a dealer. Yes, there are some minor hassles, but worth the money gained.

Example: Most of my guns are utilitarian. Rugers,Makarovs, and Taurus,SIG P6. Resell value has little meaning for those who have such guns due that's not why the guns were bought in the first place.

Most of the polymer guns are not necessarily pricey yet do the job of metal framed guns pretty well.
Ruger sells some pricey rifles and shotguns yet the P polymer pistol series are their bread and butter for the most part.

Everyday use and keeping the gun for a long time are usually more so a part of the criterea. Filling the niche and need more so than anything else is important with other considerations being less important overall.

So if you want a pricier gun, yet still get the performance a Taurus would give, get the pricier gun. It's up to the purchaser.

If utility and versatility are the primary goals then take a look at the Tauri line. If not, that can be done also.

Tauri metal framed guns are not behind in value for the shooters regardless of price. PT99/100 series can do anything it's Beretta cousin can do and has improvements to boot.

So do other Tauri metal framed guns. So just because these are utlity guns does not mean loss of usage value.

If you want the links on certain models of Tauri that can be done. PM me and say so and those will be delivered.

There are many of us who have both high priced spread guns and utility only guns. There are those who have Taurus only products and see no reason to go to other brands. Their niches and needs are fullfilled completely.

A higher priced quality can can be bought, it is true. Delivering better performance? Not necessarily so.

Example: I've got Ruger rimfire pistols that are accurate for bullseye shooting with little or no modification. Could have spent the money on a Hammerli,SIG, or S&W target pistol. Yet the performance is at or betters those other brands. For me anyway.

Taurus revolvers,older ones at that members here have, outshoot or have outshot S&W or Ruger revolvers. Read that as more accurate. Yet nothing was lost as far as dureability or longevity is concerned. That's true for many of us.
Not all. Just a lot of us. We're not missing out by having other brands. Not to say that having the other brands is bad either. Many here do own Ruger or S&W revolvers. Yet there is no large disadvantage or total superiority of one over another.

Lots of things to consider.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts