Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all'

Been thinking of what different type of 40 s&w ammo is most preferred in a home defense situation. myself well i like federal hst 135 grain, i think about ranger pdx1 165 grain and from the vid's i have seen it performs well. but what about over penetration? or a pass through which could hit someone minding their own business? seem's that there is alot of different reasons and ammo likes on this caliber. but what would be best at home ?

goose 67

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Depends on the weapon truthfully.

9mm - any 115 or 124 gr. JHP round works for me.

.45 ACP - pretty much any JHP or BHP round, 230 grain runs fine for me.

12 gauge - 2 3/4" #8 Target Loads. Lighter recoil than buckshot and the shot won't bust through the wall to the street outside.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Whatever is accurate at the range, I sure don't want to miss with high dollar stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, it's amost a canned response: Whatever you can hit accurately with.

And don't forget -- Always be sure of your target and what's behind it. Whatever you choose, you need to observe all of the safety guidelines to avoid accidental injury or death; and that means not trusting the ammo to dissolve into thin air when it hits a wall, or to not overpenetrate when you hit a BG in the chest.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Federal HST bullet. It has consistent, full expansion. In a pinch I'll use the Winchester Ranger T's

Ammotogo usually carry's them.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
remington,federal,jhp reliable, priced reasonably,available Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have heard this question alot. I like my Hornady Critical Defense in my .45, however any round that fires and puts the BG down is really what it boils down too. Over and under penetration can be a concern but at the same time in the stress of a SD situation when it is me or them, im going with me everytime.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have heard this question alot. I like my Hornady Critical Defense in my .45, however any round that fires and puts the BG down is really what it boils down too. Over and under penetration can be a concern but at the same time in the stress of a SD situation when it is me or them, im going with me everytime.
This is exactly the way I think!!!! I practice with Blazer Brass or Winchester White Box. I always run several of the Hornaday Critical Defense loads through as well for function, reliability, and accuracy testing as it is my carry load. I like the Critical Defense a lot!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense 9mm, even though those are expensive I will pop off a hand full at the range to make sure they will perform ..

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I use Gold Dots.
I am open to Corbon, Fiocchi Extrema, Win.PDX, but I got a deal on a lot of Gold Dots a couple years ago. So- until I use them all up, thats my shoot.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I like Federal's Hydra-shok in just about any caliber. I am currently using their 110 gr. .38 version, and will use the .40 when I run out of the other stuff I have on hand.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
most factory self defense loads are way over priced, i think any hollow point that is accurate and reasonably priced will work. if you reload then you load so much cheaper and practice with the self defense ammo. i personally like hornady XTP H.P. ammo that i load myself. the Nosler H.P. seem to be pretty good to.

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
most factory self defense loads are way over priced, i think any hollow point that is accurate and reasonably priced will work. if you reload then you load so much cheaper and practice with the self defense ammo. i personally like hornady XTP H.P. ammo that i load myself. the Nosler H.P. seem to be pretty good to.
I like this, I used to worry about loading my own SD ammo, with Florida's Castle Laws I am protected so I am no longer going to worry about it. If I leave the state I will re-evaluate what I carry at that time.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Hornady Critical Defence.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I've got XTP bullets and Hornady brass on my reloading bench. Hornady XTP Personnal Defense ammo works real good for me.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Anyone use Hornady FTX critical defense??

·
Registered
251 Posts
Anyone use Hornady FTX critical defense??
I have in the .45 ACP. It's what I'm carrying in my 24/7 right now. I was sent this by mistake on my last ammo order and it performs well enough for me to not give it away.

I run the cheap Monarch JHP in my BlackHawk nightstand gun but it will eat anything I run through it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts