Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started to compile my list, (beginner loader), and I like the prices and supplies Midway offers. I want to reload 9mm and 380acp, and maybe 38 special in the future. My lgs suggested, which he didn't have, Winchester 231 powder. Well I went on line and no one seemed to have it in stock. Its the same with small pistol primers. What's the deal? Is there another powder you all are using that's good? I see several advertised, but agin just getting started, and want to be safe and not waste money. I am looking at the Lee's breech hand press to start and the set of each of the aforementioned dies, scale, caliper, etc. Any suggestions on powder and primers and where to buy them online?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My lgs suggested, which he didn't have, Winchester 231 powder. Well I went on line and no one seemed to have it in stock. Its the same with small pistol primers. What's the deal?
Reloading supplies are about as difficult to find as ammo right now. Go to midwayusa.com and set email alerts on the powder and primers you are interested in. After that, make sure you check every email as soon as it comes in, because those things go FAST when they get in stock.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Powders are like guns, everyone has their favorite for one reason or another. The powder they recommended isnt the only powder you could use. Just like ammo, your gun may not like the combination of powder, primer or bullets you use. You have to experiment to get the most out of it. Trust me, unless you just totally don't like it, you won't ever have any powder that's useless to you. Look through your reloading books to see what powders will reload all 3 and then you are not stuck with just one option

Reactions: nut016 and mingaa

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
MikeyB beat me to it. HP-38 is the same and usually cheaper.
Try to find it locally if you can and avoid the HazMat shipping fee.
Same for primers.
Unless you intend to buy in massive quantities, the HazMat can be a large percentage of the price.
And I believe primers and powder cannot go in the same shipment, so you're looking at double the HazMat fee.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes, reloading supplies are as hard to find as ammo. Also keep an eye on gunbot.net. They have a reloading section.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
All of the previous replies to your question seem to answer your question well, but I haven't used a small pistol primer in over 30 years. You can try small rifle primers they have a little tougher cup but will work just fine for anything that doesn't have a weak strike. ( if you can find them also ) ....

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Everyone has their preference, I like Bullseye in my .380, 9mm, and .45acp. It also seems like I can find Bullseye under normal conditions at several different places in Miami.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Have you tried to find a local reloading shop to see what they can do for you?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah - starting off you will do much better if you can buy locally - even if you have to wait for the next shipment. You will want to experiment 1 pound of powder at a time. There are 7,000 grains in a pound - even with a big drop that's a fair amount of ammo and hazmat on 1 pound will kill you. Bullets (and brass if you are buying) are the components that are the best to ship in if you must.

There are a number of powders that will work in the rounds that you mention. I'd be willing to bet yhat all major manufacturers have st least one. Check their websites and go to the load data area - you have more choices than you think.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yes powder and primers are kind of hit and miss right now. I've found though that one small local seems to get primers and sell them for about a $1 per 1000 than they did before the panic buying started. I've also found that the local Sportsman's Warehouse gets powders in once a week usually Monday or Sunday though they don't seem to get them all but some. It has come down to being in the right place at the right time. I'm looking for these now to try.

Alliant - 2400 1 lb.
Hodgdon H-110 or Winchester W296 lb.
IMR 4227 1 lb.
Winchester Powder WSF 1 lb.

Reactions: nut016

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
...... I'm looking for these now to try.

Alliant - 2400 1 lb.
Hodgdon H-110 or Winchester W296 lb.
IMR 4227 1 lb.
Winchester Powder WSF 1 lb.
I have been looking for 1# of 2400 since November with no luck. :(

Reactions: nut016 and gbusmech

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Went ot the Bismarck, ND Sheel's and picked up a pound of H-110, and a pound of 2400 last week. If you have one of those in youe area, they have most powders in stock with a two pound limit.

If you can't find W231/HP-38 look for Bulleye or AA#2 and they'll work well in the stuff you're reloading. 700X shotgun powder also works.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have been looking for 1# of 2400 since November with no luck. :(
Unique, bullseye and 2400 an you got the whole spectrum covered. If we could just find em....

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Unique, bullseye and 2400 an you got the whole spectrum covered. If we could just find em....
I have both Bullseye and Unique in my cabinet, those two are the only ones I have used and fit my needs. Want to try 2400 to see if I can get some more volume in the longer cases to help with visual inspections of powder drop.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
If you're looking for something similar to W231, just look up the loads for the calibers your interested using powders that are close in burn rate to W231.

Powder Burn Rates

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
2400 is an excellent powder. More forgiving than H110/W296. I use 2400 for warm .44 Special and .357 Magnum loads.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Everyone says HP-38 and W321 is the same. Why are they not equal on the burn rate chart? Or are all the powders in between all the same burn rate?

22. HP38 (Hodgdon)
23. AO (Vectan)
24. 452AA (Winchester)
25. 453 (Scot)
26. 231 (Winchester)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Everyone says HP-38 and W321 is the same. Why are they not equal on the burn rate chart? Or are all the powders in between all the same burn rate?

22. HP38 (Hodgdon)
23. AO (Vectan)
24. 452AA (Winchester)
25. 453 (Scot)
26. 231 (Winchester)
Not only aren't the burn rates the same but Hodgdon has different loads for them with the same bullet and primers. So that tells me they aren't the same but again the same stuff with H110 and W296 which are also different. But then a single powder can vary from lot to lot, hence I get the actual VMD for each lot by weighing 10 1cc scopes of the powder then average it etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts