Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did it come at the wrong time? Or is it the lack of interest? Why did it fail?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Thanks for the link mrglock. I've read that acticle but it was sometime ago so I was due for a refresher reading.

I've heard from a few who were also disappointed that the .480 Ruger wasn't available on the Super Blackhawk platform, and if it had been they would have purchased them.

The release of the .460 and .500 S&W Magnums seem to have marginalized the .480 Ruger even more. While people are clamoring for the former two chamberings I seldom hear a peep from those who want or even inquire about the .480 Ruger.

That is to not say I wouldn't want one personally, but I think I'd be in the minority. If I ran across a Raging Bull or Super Redhawk in that caliber in the right place and time and at the right price, I may be inclined to get it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believed the .500 killed it, if it came out just a couple of years earlier it might have took off. The .480 revolver looks like no other redhawk ruger puts out, they should have done a carbine with it as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The problem is that both the .460 S&W and .500 S&W Magnum are stronger than the .480, so its pretty well hurting. That, and the price being so high on Super Redhawks, my Dad just got one that ran him over $650, plus the ridiculous cost of ammo ($30 for 20 rounds), its pretty hard to convince some to pay that money for a round thats not quite as strong as a .454 Casull or the .460.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Has anyone else noticed how aggressive Ruger plans to be in 2008? They're making a real charge with some old favorites and new products.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a long time coming I believe. I think it has to do with the election year and the way things are going to shift politically. The "Get it out now before the door shuts" mentality is definetly set. Start to look for manufacturers producing mass quantities of high capacity mags and you will begin to think they know something we don't.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think .480 didn't carch on because it didn't offer anything new; it wasn't more powerful than .454 which has been availabe for LONG time before .480 came out with enough guns and ammo choices availabe. Plus .44mag is not that far behind .480 powerwise...I'm sure if .480 ammo was a bit cheaper it would be more popular...

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
That's probably one of the most handsome revolvers, IMO, that's currently available for sale. I love the target grey finish, I love the unfluted cylinder and I love the grips Ruger is putting on their newer .480 SRHs. I only wish they'd offer the same exact gun (albeit as a six-shooter) in .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I joined this forum because I was interested in finding out more information about the raging bull in 480 ruger. Although ruger and taurus are no longer producing firearms in this caliber, its still around with a small loyal following.

In my opinion, ruger made a couple of mistakes when rolling out the new round. First, they should have gone with a five round cylinder (like the raging bull) to minimize sticky extraction due to the cylinder walls swelling and the brass expanding too much.

Second, they should have come out with a cartridge with a 400 grain flat nose cast solid at a modest muzzle velocity (1050 fps). A heavier bullet would even have been better. There isn't much on this continent that could stand up to that round.

Bill Fryxell did a nice article which made the arguement that this is the sweet spot for the round. Although the energy figures don't match the 454 casull, the knock out factor is comparable and there is much less pressure, recoil and muzzle blast. Further, you get better performance out of a shorter barrel.

Ammo is still available from Hornady, Speer, Corbon, Buffalo Bore and Grizzly Cartridge. I like the round and hope to pick up Raging Bull in the caliber in the near future.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
In my opinion, ruger made a couple of mistakes when rolling out the new round. First, they should have gone with a five round cylinder (like the raging bull) to minimize sticky extraction due to the cylinder walls swelling and the brass expanding too much.
Good point. Also, not putting it in the SBH and Redhawk frames was another major and possibly fatal mistake for the round.

But why would you bring out a round that you won't fully utilize in all configurations unless it demanded a "new" one, such a an "X frame" size Balckhawk.

There would be a waiting list for 5 shot, 4" .480 Ruger Redhawks and 4 5/8" Blackhawks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts