Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being relatively new to firearms, just purchased first one last summer, I'm curious how laws vary by state. Here in Mississippi the carry permit is processed by the Dept. of Public Safety, costs $132 and takes 45 days to get the permit. Not that it takes 45 days to process, they just make you wait that long. I do find it funny that the fine for carrying without a permit is a "...noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons." SECTION 1. Section 45-9-101 (b), Mississippi Code of 1972

Carry On!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Ohio
Take a class $100
Pemit and background check $67
Wait time just to drop off application 1 month. My appoinment is April 2.
Time to recieve plastic card. Unknown at this point.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Virginia: Approx $50 (depends a little on the area) and either a Firearms Safety course or for former military a copy of your DD-214.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Not sure, but it's hard in RI. You need to show a "need" in RI. And protecting yourself and your family is not a good enough reason. You need to be a business owner who deals in lage ammounts of cash etc. You also need to convince either your local police cheif and or the state attourny general to sign off on it. RI being a very liberal state. It is not easy. Someone on here is in RI and just got a CWP. He may chime in and know better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Applied here in Indiana for lifetime and used electronic finger print process with State Police and local government. They say wait time is 6 weeks with the electronic prints method and 15 weeks with manual prints. State fee for lifetime is $75 and local is fee is $50.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Right across the line in AL and here it varies by county. The sheriff is the issuing party. Some counties have very little in the way of regulations. My county requires that you have a handgun, list the serial number, live in the county for 6 months, give a reason for carrying (I used so that I can transport my handgun to and from the range-yes a ccp is required for that). Submit paperwork, pay $20 wait is anywhere from 5 minutes to a week. Some counties are less (Ive heard of one that was $2 but I think they range from $5 to the max of $20); good for a year and you can mail in renewal. My permit is good for any weapon carried, the sheriff just requires proof that you have a handgun before issuing a permit "If you dont have a handgun, you dont need a permit" is his reasoning.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
State approved class (State Law, firearm safety and live fire) with a State Certified Instructor or NRA Certified Instructor - $65 to $125.
$50 fee to SLED for the permit, 2 fingerprint cards, 3 headshot photos, Certificate of Training and signed application, 90 day maximum wait, and they do make you wait.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In Tennessee, you have to take a class (8 hours) that includes a written test and some range time. Cost is around $100. Then, proof of completion of an approved course, and proof of citizenship or lawful residency must be submitted to a drivers license certification center ( Highway Patrol, Dept. of Safety) & an application filled out for a handgun carry permit ( works for concealed or open carry - handguns only), then copy of application is taken to a fingerprinting location with $115 fee. Fingerprints are submitted electronically. Once app. & prints are submitted, waiting time for issuance of permit is 3- 12 weeks. A renewal ($50 fee) is required every 4 years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here in Colorado I did the NRA basic pistol course from a local retailer for $75 and first thing tomorrow morning I will pay $110 to the county/state when I go to my appointment for pictures, finger prints, and turning in my paperwork. When I get the card in the mail is anyone's guess. Last I heard was going to be about 60 days just because of the sheer number of people applying for one. I am luck though, my county sheriff has been on TV lately letting people know unless there is a real good reason why you shouldn't have one, he will just sign and let you carry. He wants his citizens armed. :)

Avolow.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I hate to be the first Texan to reply but, honestly, it's been so long that I can't remember and my costs probably aren't relevant any more. So, rather than supply some dubious information I'll let someone else have the honor.

I think that I just replied to a poll with a "Don't Know" answer. Sorry about that.

·
Administrator
40,261 Posts
Well the initial license in Texas runs $140 to the state, half that upon each renewal, and half that after age 60. Instructors can charge what they want for classes, but most I hear of, range from $75 to $90. My last renewal was $50. Good for 5 years.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Well the initial license in Texas runs $140 to the state, half that upon each renewal, and half that after age 60. Instructors can charge what they want for classes, but most I hear of, range from $75 to $90. My last renewal was $50. Good for 5 years.
There is definitely a wide variance in prices.

I guess the cost of living here in the Panhandle is pretty high. IIRC most prices I saw for classes when I started my application were all above $100. But I have been known to be wrong so don't hold me to that and I didn't check all the prices by any means.

My class was $125 but the instructor was first rate and IMO it was worth the money.

Of course the instructor was another Marine so I might be a tad biased. ;)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Ohio
Take a class $100
Pemit and background check $67
Wait time just to drop off application 1 month. My appoinment is April 2.
Time to recieve plastic card. Unknown at this point.
The cost is correct, but the time varies by county in Ohio. I took the class on a Sunday, dropped off the paperwork at the sherriff's office monday after work, and they called that it was ready at 8:30 Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, this is great. I can't believe how much it varies state to state. I guess MS is easy compared to some! All you have to do is drop off the notarized form with the money ($100 for license/$32 for fingerprints) and 45 days later you get the card. Renewal is $50, but drops to $25 at 65. We do have an enhanced carry option that let's you carry in places basic permit holders can't. You must have a certificate of completion signed by an instructor showing that you passed the course(around $100). Then you take the certificate to the Driver's license office and they'll affix a stamp to your permit.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Iowa is a shall issue state, so all you have to do is take a 4 hr class which is around $75, then you take your certificate of completion to your county sheriff's office and fill out the paper with name and basics.. I got a call in a week to come pick up my permit at a cost of $50. Depends on what county you live in, as to whether you're going to get it that quick though

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Kansas:

* 8 hour course = $80 +or- 10 and usually including range time.
* 25 rounds of ammo (varies)
* passport picture $5-10
* county sheriff and state split $137.50 in the fees and license costs. 37.50 to the sheriff, then they pass the 100 on to the state.
*wait -- 2 years ago the wait was no less than 60 days I think it was and no more than 90 days. Just had a friend do his testing and so I looked up some stats from the state. This past January set new records for applicants which averages out to 150 per work day. Compared to back when I took it, the average was 50 per work day.
I also got onto the states CC forum and looked at what some were talking about for wait time and now the wait time is 90-180 days and I think they were currently running between 100 and 120.
* trip to the DMV office to get physical license = $15 I think.

Total currently = $254.50 and roughly 115 day wait time once turning in the paperwork. And the license is good for 4 years. Renewal is only a new form and I don't remember 25-50 bucks.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Missouri
8 hr course with written and range test $100 + -
Application $100
Approval time varies on background check time etc - forget max but it is generally faster by far
Added to drivers license as endorsement OR $8.50 (IIRC) for stand alone separate state ID (good idea as they are not in sync)
Lasts 3 yrs. - $50 renewal

P.S. 45 days and is a SHALL (must) ISSUE state **

Side note: Castle Doctrine extends to vehicles so anyone 21 or older can have a firearm (concealed or not) in a vehicle with no CCW.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Missouri
8 hr course with written and range test $100 + -
Application $100
Approval time varies on background check time etc - forget max but it is generally faster by far
Added to drivers license as endorsement OR $8.50 (IIRC) for stand alone separate state ID (good idea as they are not in sync)
Lasts 3 yrs. - $50 renewal

Side note: Castle Doctrine extends to vehicles so anyone 21 or older can have a firearm (concealed or not) in a vehicle with no CCW.
Same here.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In pennsylvania im waiting on my permit I was told it takes 4 to 5 weeks!!its 5 dollars down and 15 dollars to pick up!wasnt charged for background check or didnt have to take a class!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
In North Carolina, the average concealed carry class lasts eight hours and costs around $ 100.00.
The fingerprint and background check cost me $ 90.00 a couple of years ago. After completing
the requirements, I had to wait five weeks to get my permit, but that varies from county to county.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts