Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided my next purchase will be a .357 Magnum lever rifle to go with my M66. I was looking around, and the local shop has a NIB Rossi with a scope rail for around 5 bills. I liked the straight stock, but didn't like the fact the lever didn't touch the stock like the Marlins and Henry rifles. For the price point, I could either live with that, or fab a spacer block. I do plan on putting at least a 1-4x scope on it to aid my aging eyes, so scope mounting is a factor for other brands.

So, what's the overall consensus on the Rossi rifles since Braztech took over?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
They seem to get mixed reviews, some love them some hate them. If you have a problem you will be dealing with the less than stellar Customer Service. Personally, I would spend a bit more and go with the Henry. Generally excellent reviews and customer service.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The newer models are assembled better. Some of the older ones had the barrel bands jammed on making them erratic in accuracy. I have the 16" barreled .44 Mag in stainless and I paid $420, so over $500 is a little high IMO. Still I looked at mine as a project gun, taking it down and smoothing out the action. The finish on the stock is terrible, so while I had it down I refinished it and clearanced all the barrel bands. There are a lot of good instructions on tuning up the Rossi out on the Internet. The Rossi rail is crap, get the one from NOE. It is designed by RanchDog and only about $35, if I remember correctly. My gun is now almost as smooth as one of the Japanese Winchesters, which is to mean pretty smooth.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have the Rossi 92 in .454 and have never had a problem with it. It compliments my Raging Bull .454...:)

·
Administrator
40,280 Posts
I have a 20" in .45 Colt. Never an issue with it, and it shoots factory and reloaded ammo just fine. Even likes my black powder cartridges. These things are a hoot to shoot!:thumb:

Reactions: Aberdog1

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have a 20" in .45 Colt. Never an issue with it, and it shoots factory and reloaded ammo just fine. Even likes my black powder cartridges. These things are a hoot to shoot!:thumb:
That's what I like about the Rossi .454.I can shoot the .45 Colt also..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts