Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to say I'm not looking to bash anyone or start debates. Just looking for insight to see what the hype is all about. I am currently in the process of applying for my ccw from Fl because I am tired of doing it illegally...shhhh. I said I would rather pay $117 then get arrested. Let me clear this up before the hounds come out. I know this is wrong and I only do it when I am in bad parts of the city. not as an all day thing. Ok, my thoughts after reading everyone on here cheer and rave after they get their permit. My question is ok you have it now what. By having a gun on you will not prevent something from happening to you. Most crimes I know of happen before you can even react, and if you are stupid enough to reach for your gun when someone already has the drop on you then you deserve to be shot. So I guess my question is what do you guys plan to accomplish by carrying?? Once again just looking for comments and clarification. I'm not an anti either especially after being in the Corps for over 8 years. I'm asking yall because I have asked myself the same thing. Why do I want a permit?? If someone sticks me up they got the drop on me, if someone wants to fistfight I can't pull it out for that, so what's the point???

Thanks guys,
Proud PT140 owner
Uhh Rahh

·
Registered
418 Posts
For the defense of not only yourself but your friends and family and others that can't defend them self in the event something happens in your presence. Its not hard to stay out of situations where someone could get the jump on you. Like they say, Its better to have ANY gun on you than the one you left at home. Not all BG will have a gun in the event of a robbery,kidnapping,or rape. Some one might try to physically assault you in road rage. Many phsicos break into a home and then try to find a hammer or knife. Around hear your allowed to use deadly force in the event of any assault,car jacking,kidnapping,rape,robbery,ect regardless if they have a deadly weapon or not as it is perceived that they intend to harm you, and also to protect any persons in your vicinity that cant protect them self.

I was excited when i got mine because now i can take matters into my own hands if need be instead of waiting 15 min for the cops to get there. Also because i can now exercise my constitutional right. Boy scouts motto "Be Prepared",and i am prepared to defend myself.

Lets face it. There is 1 cop per 1,000-5,000 people depending on the city. They cannot protect us all at the same time and chances are when the BG comes out,he will do it when no police are around. The supreme court ruled you must protect yourself after a case where a woman asked police to watch her house after her ex B/F threatened to kill her and he later came back and threw chemicals in her face and blinded her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alot of what you said is true as far as incidents in the vehicle or whatever, but for situations that don't involve me i'm heading in the opposite direction. What you described is a coppish mentality. I don't get involved in things that don't concern me, that's what the cops get paid for, but it is good to be prepared and that's why I have decided to get mine for that extra piece of mind and carry the right way. ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Some times the BG turn around after he thinks he has secured you. Many gas station robbery footage shows the clurk grab the gun when they put it down to take the money.

Your right that it's almost pointless if the guns pointed at you first,but there shouldn't be laws restricting our rights to "bear" arms.

·
Registered
138 Posts
roecityryder said:
I'm asking yall because I have asked myself the same thing. Why do I want a permit??
One or two points.
First: I am an American, born and bred. My constitution guarantees me the right to keep and bear arms.
Second: Physically, I am kind of beat-up. I am no longer capable of running and I have never been a Rambo type, the only way for me to be on par with a young, strong, attacker is to have an equalizer.
Third: When the certification became available to me, I jumped on it, because I am basically a law-abiding citizen. The CHL (CCW in other states) gave me the opportunity to stop breaking the law of the land.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well if someone is pointing a gun at you i suppose you can give up the wallet but what if they want your life? you got no choice but to go for your gun.. im interested in studying disarment moves.. but thats tricky and i dont have any one to practice with so not sure what i'd try irl..

anyway if i knew someone was stalking or trying to hurt me i'd carry reguardless of law, but as far as i know everyone loves me <3

the thing about a fist fight.. well i think i might disagree with you on this one..

do i think a fist should be met with a bullet? usually not.. but it would depend..
if you can leave to avoid a fight thats best.. but i can tell you this much if im carrying a gun im not going to engage in a fist fight and give them a chance to discover it or drop it and have it used on me..

i'd probably draw.. if they did'nt back down then i guess they would be crapping little lead pellets.

·
Registered
138 Posts
joe sixpack said:
if they did'nt back down then i guess they would be crapping little lead pellets.
+1

·
Registered
418 Posts
Technically its is illegal to fight,but not to defend yourself with deadly force from an assault unless you live in Commyfornia,Washington,NewYork,ect. If you get into a fight both persons will go to jail. If your 6' 225lb like me you would have a hard time proving the other guy instigated the fight unless he was much larger than you. Ether you get beat up/killed or you beat them up and have to try to prove you were attacked and face an agrivated assault felony.

If your weapon is concealed i don't see the problem. I doubt the BG will frisk you. If your thinking the BG will just ask for your wallet and leave that is very anti ccw thinking. If thats the case then your concealed gun should be fine. That is unless he is meaning to do you harm in the first place to get rid of the witness,drugged up ,mad you only had 20 bucks,ect and then you will wish you had one.

Memphis.TN is the highest violent crime rate state in the country right now so my views are a little more extreme.

·
Registered
876 Posts
roecityryder said:
so what's the point???
I understand your argument that carrying is a waste of time, since by the time you realize you need your gun, it will be too late to get it.

If that is true, then, I don't understand why you've been carrying one yourself "in the bad parts of the city"

Please explain.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Perhaps he is worried about the "live by the sword(gun) and you die by the sword(gun) " philosophy.

My mother all ways considered carrying a firearm at her shop as putting yourself in more danger when you reveal it as a shoot is bound to insue vs they will take the money and run. I have just seen way to much footage of people being shot over the 20 dollars in there wallet they would have handed over.

It's not always going to be pistol vs pistol. It might be pistol vs ak47 or pistol vs knife or pistol vs cranked up meth head with superhuman strength. They might get the jump on you. You might get the jump on them. I would like to be prepared to some degree.

Why do police need a gun. The same reason you do. Its a crazy world.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
adam731432 said:
Why do police need a gun. The same reason you do. Its a crazy world.
It sure is a crazy world we live in. Except most of the time the cop has the drop on the perp. ;) (Boy do I love shocking the shit out of some scumbag who's sticking up a mom and pop grocery store) :D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Here's a thought,

Situational Awareness anyone? Otherwise know as Col. Cooper's color code system which has a variant in the Corps I think. If you know whats going on around you, you have a chance to either leave the area (preferable) or be ready (both mentally and physically with either a weapon in your hand or real close to it) for the confrontation. If you are oblivious to your surroundings you are a victim waiting to happen.

Steelheart

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Well, I'm not gonna make any more comments on this topic.
I think that enough good comments have already been made.
Seeing as how you only have two posts roecityryder, it looks as though
you've just recently joined the forum.

So, welcome from Tulsa Oklahoma! :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Steelheart, way to say it ! Always be aware, stating that a perp will always get the drop on you means you don't pay attention to the world around you, and most likely you shouldn't carry legal or not.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I made the decision to get a CCW after a very bad hurricane season.  My wife and I both felt the need in order to protect our family and belongings.  It's just a lot easier to have on you while forraging for supplies while carrying large amounts of cash. 
As far as people getting the drop on me, I try to stay out of those situations. When we go to the ATM we cover each other from the car.  I usually pocket carry, so if I'm walking in a parking lot and see something I don't like, my hand is on my gun in my pocket anyway.  I keep my distance so I have time to pull it if the need arises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, you all have made valid points and i thank you for your insight. I will be putting my package in the mail on Monday so I guess I will be carrying the legal way in about 2 months, unless you guys know of them taking less time. I will be using the card for prints because I am in Louisiana. Speaking of Louisiana, not to change the subject. If I wanted to I can open carry here, but if I run into a leo that isn't clear on the laws I could spend a few hours downtown so I haven't risked that yet. Have you guys heard anything else on this subject?

Thank you all

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well, not sure about Louisiana these days. When I lived there in the 1980's, I carried a small derringer (same one in my signature). I never even thought about what might happen in those days.

In KY, I have open carried in stores, and on the street and never had any LEO say a word to me. Oh wrong, one asked how I like the gun I was carrying.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
So many valid questions, roecityryder, and so many good responses from the other members of this forum. Welcome to TaurusArmed. You are going to like it here.

I'll give my $.02 since I am new to CCW like you. With one exception, I have never CC without a permit. I didn't want to make it easy for some DA to make my life miserable if I ever got caught. The one time I did CC without a permit was in L.A. after the Rodney King trial -- riots were going on and businesses were being torched. My business was in an industrial park in South Central Compton. Yes, that Compton. So, I can certainly appreciate why you would CC even without a permit.

I got my permit for a multitude of reasons. My neighbor has a CFP and suggested I should get one (the wife and I started our neighborhood watch right after our development was built). Another neighbor is a retired LEO and he encouraged me, also. Shortly after that there was a home invasion robbery at gunpoint in the house four doors down. I was convinced I needed to be better prepared and wanted to do it legally (hassle free).

As far as someone having the drop on me, I am still trying to absorb as much information as I can. You would think it was simple -- the guy has a gun on you so there is nothing you can do but comply with his demands. But, there are so many stories out there where the victim seems to be in an untenable position, but somehow manages to reverse the situation by pulling his own gun. These stories generally end with the perp being shot or running off. I am still trying to understand why there seem to be so many of these stories. Maybe the perp was distracted and that gave the victim his chance to reverse the situation. Maybe in the perp's mind the mere sight of possibly being shot by the victim is enough to make a perp turn tail and run off. Maybe the stories that end with the victim being shot don't get repeated. I don't know.

My LEO neighbor has become a friend and mentor. He says I'll see it coming, and when I do I need to be prepared. Having my permit allows me to carry legally. Being able to carry gives me comfort.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think that a lot of good points have been made but for me the #1 reason I want to carry is because I can!
It is my right! Our ancestors died to protect our rights all those years ago and now our gov is trying to take them away. I think that every time someone gets their ccw it is a "Big deal" because it is one more person standing up to the gov and saying this is my right and I will not let you take it away from me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Weaponize said:
I think that a lot of good points have been made but for me the #1 reason I want to carry is because I can!
It is my right! Our ancestors died to protect our rights all those years ago and now our gov is trying to take them away. I think that every time someone gets their ccw it is a "Big deal" because it is one more person standing up to the gov and saying this is my right and I will not let you take it away from me.
I agree. The more people that CCW, the more "normal" it will become. It shouldn't raise eyebrows or make people look like freaks for excersizing their rights.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.