Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some "warm" .357 loads that I am in the process of using up.

When I shoot them, I get a lot of stuff coming out the sides of the gun. I actually have to find a spot at the range where there is no one using 2 bays in either direction of me. I've had people complain that they were getting hit with something.

Bullets are plated (not jacketed), So I'm assuming it's lead, or maybe the copper plating? My buddy says it's probably powder.

Only have 100 rounds left to get rid of, hopefully will take care of that this week.

I was just wondering

·
Registered
50 Posts
my geuss is powder. the hotter 357 loads have more powder so maybe what you have is powder blowing out between the cylinder and the frame./ more so than you would notice with rounds that werent so hot

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Try this:
Get a thin piece of cardboard (the kind folded into new shirts is ideal) and bend it so it surrounds the cylinder. You don't want a tight fit.
Fire a couple of rounds and then examine what's embedded in the cardboard: should be able to tell whether it's lead or powder. If it's lead, you'll want to have a gunsmith check the cylinder alignment and lockup.

·
Super Moderator
36,422 Posts
I would pull them and start over.

Plated projectiles pushed past posted velocity can result in bent broken barrels.

Just sayin' :D

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not loaded beyond maximum, but close to max for sure. I've already put about 600 rounds through it, so I figure I'll just do the last 100. Then I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the timing checked anyway. Anyone know how much a gunsmith would charge for that?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

Plated projectiles pushed past posted velocity can result in bent broken barrels.

Could not agree more. Don't take a chance on any injury to yourself or anyone else.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts

Good advice and a tongue-twister to boot.
Kind of like one-stop shopping.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Peter Piper pushed plated projectiles past posted velocities. Whew!

Reactions: jwc007 and aquajim

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
I think I read somewhere that it could possibly be unburnt powder if the load was over the top. Not having time to burn. Is your scale accurate?
Could this be correct

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Like Lance said, bend cardboard or even typing paper over the cylinder fire it and see what residue is on there; powder blow back or leading? In addition try this with normal pressure 38 vs. 357 just do one cylinder of each(could be the ammo if its dirty powder and a shorter barrel). If it changes from one ammo to another it is most likely the 357 ammo pushing the limits of the gun. If it does it with both types of ammo, then you may have a problem with timing, excessive barrel to cylinder gap, or forcing cone issues. If people around you are complaining my first guess would be leading. Gunsmiths usually charge a flat minimum fee. Not all of them warm up to Tauruses to well. It can be hard to find a competent gunsmith(revolver smith). Many times they take longer to give you your gun back than it takes to ship it to Florida and back. Just my experiences, maybe you can find a good one. You might be better of sending it in to Miami, especially if you are within the one year free shipping after purchase coverage.

To reiterate I would start of with the paper or cardboard over the cylinder and multiple types of ammo. If you can have a friend there to shoot it as well that would be good. Just try a cylinder of each of different ammo at most. You do not need to shoot a whole box. If it only happens with one ammo it is most likely the culprit. If it does it with all get the gun serviced.

I would try to stay within Tauruses ammo recommendations especially when shooting high pressure ammo like 357. It will put greater stress on all parts of the revolver(depending on the gun obviously i.e. snubby v.s. raging bull).

Good Luck

·
Registered
436 Posts
You could also try asome factory ammo and see if it does the same . If it does not the the issue is probably the ammo you are using now. If it does the same then the issue is probably the gun .

·
Banned
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually my wife shot .38's out of it that same day, without any issues.

With only 100 rounds to go, after already firing so many, I'm just gonna shoot 'em up on Wednesday, and forget about it.

I was just curious, is all. Maybe next week, I'll load up some "normal" .357's and see if there are any problems.

I actually don't expect any.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I found an old box of .22 ammo that I had bought in the sixties. When I fired them in my M94-4 every single one blew burning flakes of gunpowder onto my hands. They ruptered where the firing pin struck them. Needless to say, I disposed of them.

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts

With only 100 rounds to go, after already firing so many, I'm just gonna shoot 'em up on Wednesday, and forget about it.

I was just curious, is all. Maybe next week, I'll load up some "normal" .357's and see if there are any problems.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Stop shooting that ammo, and have your weapon checked. 100 rounds of questionable ammo isn't worth the train wreck it can cause to your self or others standing around you. I've shot some very hot anti social rounds out of my Super Black Hawk and had powder burns on my hands a situation that did not happen with factory ammo. The Pressure is causing the gun to swell changing the clearances. This is what was Ruger explained to me when i called them. All metal is elastic to some degree until it breaks. I believe what is coming out of the sides of the cylinder is simply unburned powder and spent gases.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I'd still like for you to try the paper and let us know what it was. I suspect burnt (or unburnt) powder is the culprit. I've had it happen before on hand loads for revolvers. At night it shows up as a bigger flame coming out of the cylinder gap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts