Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have nothing but good to say about using Frog Lube but it may not need to be an "all natural plant based product" to be certified as a food grade lubricant according to this article from Machinery Lubrication magazine: (page down to "Acceptable Food-Grade Basestocks)

The Basics of Food-grade Lubricants

This is all well and good IMO but I'm not so sure it should be called such a "green" product given its potential synthetic composition.
Nor am I going to spread it on toast when I run out of butter anymore! (only kidding)

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Well, it is biodegradable non-toxic all natural lubricant and it's MSDS doesn't place it in the same category as "food grade" industrial lubricants. I suspect it wouldn't work too well on food industry equipment due to it's low melt point. I figure it's more akin to "personal" lubricants as made by Trojan or K-Y. And the way some of us talk about our guns, the latter is more apt. LOL

I've been impressed with Frog Lube, but still have mixed emotions - old habits are hard to kick, but I'm about half way thru my pistols converting to FL. It does make for a rapid clean up after a range visit - and so far have seen no visible wear characteristics that would give me concern.

·
Administrator
35,167 Posts
You just don't want to know. :-X

·
Registered
24,541 Posts
Frog Slime

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, it is biodegradable non-toxic all natural lubricant and it's MSDS doesn't place it in the same category as "food grade" industrial lubricants. I suspect it wouldn't work too well on food industry equipment due to it's low melt point ...
That would be a "roger" as higher ambient temps in a kitchen situation would make FL a bit of a nightmare. Plus, all lubes used in the foodservice equipment area are supposed to be USDA approved (note: "supposed to be" because kitchen staff will use ANYTHING for lube in a pinch... :eek:) and non-toxic. Mineral oil is generally used but it is nasty and gummy after a while. Ya just gotta move past that.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I've been impressed with Frog Lube, but still have mixed emotions - old habits are hard to kick, but I'm about half way thru my pistols converting to FL. It does make for a rapid clean up after a range visit - and so far have seen no visible wear characteristics that would give me concern.
I'm in exactly the same place...lol I love the stuff, but especially when the post-range cleaning time comes around, it just feels....
weird. I guess I'm still trying to get used to using just one product in place of what used to take me at least 3...

I could be mistaken, but I think FL is 100% plant based.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's made from people! Soylent Green....!

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
i dont know for sure but chinese spy satellites show pictures of millions of frogs out by the pool behind the factory laying on there back with big smiles on thier faces

jhp

Reactions: Lost_In_VT
1 - 11 of 11 Posts