Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate some comments on the following, guys: My wife & I have lived in a townhome for 15 years. Two floors plus finished basement. We would not live any other way. Cheaper, no lawnwork, etc.

Problem is, you ALWAYS have to consider what is beyond your target when a threat arrives. With townhomes on both sides of us, I feel limited to a field of fire strictly within the walls of my home. More and more of you out there will someday live in multi-family situations, especially as you get old enough to be more physically limited.

All my home protection firearms are .357 mag revolvers (using hollowpoints), thinking that a stray deflected round might be a bit less lethal to a neighbor. Neither neighbor is armed, to my knowledge, but are excellent people who both know I am close to a weapon at all times. Neighbors and their homes are always a proximity problem, but with townhomes & condos it's just more difficult to locate folks.

(I carry .45's outside the home)

I don't want to add any worries to anyone out there. Good topic of discussion, though. Thanks for replies!

smit

·
Administrator
40,387 Posts
Are these homes separated by outdoor space or connected like apartment buildings? If they are brick and separated, I would feel ok with the .357's and they are known for penetration.. Yeah, there are windows, but anything lethal will pass through them. If only drywall and sound barrier divide the homes, overpenetration can be a problem. No magnums then, and hollowpoints most likely the rule. .45acp goes where we go and I have thought of your scenario in motels etc. Fat, slow hollowpoints is what I carry. And even that is no garantee. Other opinions will be interesting and informative.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
If I lived in an environment like that, I might have to consider Glazer safety slugs - they are frangible and shouldn't punch through more than one side of sheetrock. A shotgun with birdshot would be another alternative......but I would definitely worry about over-penetration.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Your Question is a pretty easy answer...
Town houses usually have a Cement Block Wall as a Fire Break between attached Homes...
I know some People with a TownHouse. They have a "Judge" Up & Down Stairs...
As stated in the Test #4 shot is a Nasty Load, and will not over penetrate... And 000 Buckshot is a Bad A$$ indoor round also... Each of the 3 Balls has the power of a 9mm, so even if one did penetrate a wall, most of it energy would be spent...
NOTE: 3 out of Ten Medium Framed JUDGE's sold now are being sold to women for Home Defense... Its a Point and Kill the Bad Guy GUN...
Remember, shooting anybody in the Back OR over 25 feet, Makes YOU The Bad Guy In COURT...!!!...<:-((

~Taurus Judge perfect for self-defense~
http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=577
~"THE JUDGE" video~
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid452320104/bclid459256134/bctid1119219330
~Picture~
http://members.aol.com/normtrudeau2/judge/SgtKnucklesJudgeandHolster.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our townhomes are not separated, Smoke. Just 2 X 4's and sound barriers.

You guys have me thinking seriously about The Judge. (with 00 buck) That gun is double-butt ugly but appears to be ready-made for a bedroom defense weapon. I'd probably load it with .410's all the way and not worry quite so much about wall penetration.

Keep comments coming. Interesting subject!

smit

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
My first thought wasn't a hand gun it's a rifle. Specifically a 223/5.56 (think AR-15, Mini-14, or Kel-tec's rifle or pistol) using lightweight varmint rounds. This should have less penetration than a handgun and still put more "hurt" on the target. The drawback is the price of the gun. You're looking a a couple of hundred dollars more than most pistols.

Other than that, I'll second Glasers or Magsafes in that revolver. They'll function just like your JHP's and will have reduced penetration. Some auto's have reliability issues with them due to the different recoil impulse.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You could search on youtube there has got to be somebody who shot up some test drywall out there. Or if you have access to some open range/farmland and don't mind the mess, rig up a wall with 2x6 construction and add the insulation just for kicks. then shoot it with various loads and see what goes through. you will then know for sure if the rounds will go through a wall or not. Do the shooting from 5 feet away and closer then you will get a feel for what they do or not do. It's the only way to know for sure if you have to know.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Guys

I'm considering all options!

smit

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I agree with some earlier comments, I keep a 12 gauge leaning against the wall for indoor/ home security. While the Taurus 9mm is within reach if I hear a bump in the night I'd go for the pump-action Winchester Defender 1st, it has a LED light mounted on the underside of the barrel so aiming from the hip is real easy, just point the light. I keep '00' buckshot in it but you could deter a BG with just about any load. They probably aren't gonna be around long after they hear you ratchet a round into the chamber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts