Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend as a good carry round for 38 special? Just purchased a M605 poly and I know that 357 is more potent, but with the 2 inch barrel what you recommend as a conceal carry round in 38 and 357?

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
On my last trip to the LGS the shelves were bare so I suggest whatever you can find, if you can find anything at all....

Reactions: klep64

·
Registered
7,566 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Check out the especially designed Gold Dot by Speer it is a 135 grain +P 38 caliber cartridge Speer Ammo - Short Barrel

Depending on recoil for 357 load...lighter recoil 110 grain. After this light load almost any other JHP load should work 125 grain has good track record. You would need to see how you handle recoil and speed of follow up shots.

Also check out http://www.ballistics101.com/357_magnum.php for comparative data on ballistics

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Plus 1 on the Fed Nyclads, I've been using them for years. Any of the ammo loaded with 125 grain Horanady XTP, or its variants such as CD, or FTX are good. Speer has a nice short barrel round in its 130 grain Gold Dots. But really all the premium brand stuff is pretty good.

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
:r_c:Since as of yet there are no "Magic Bullets" and today's premimum JHP's perform the same on the street; I always recommend carrying what you shoot the best in your particular gun.

Test drive a few brands and settle on the one you and your gun perform the best with.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
:r_c:Since as of yet there are no "Magic Bullets" and today's premimum JHP's perform the same on the street; I always recommend carrying what you shoot the best in your particular gun.

Test drive a few brands and settle on the one you and your gun perform the best with.:thumb:
This is the correct answer!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am of a mind that regardless of all the latest/greatest, Capt. Billy Whiz-Bang ammo out there in the market place, you will be well served by ANYTHING that reliably goes bang and with which you can create caliber specific sized holes right where you want them. I always suggest that anyone worth shooting is worth shooting as many times as necessary to get them to stop being a threat. Two to the chest and one to the head with most any centerfire ammo/caliber/style is often sufficient for most miscreants to lose interest in their assault.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.