Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting an M1 Garand, and was wondering what a good price range was. I have several Rifles, and have always
wanted one of these. It seems that the prices vary substantially on these. I travel for work and have been to the CMP in Alabama
and they have a ton of surplus ones, but the prices are all over the place. I have a TREMENDOUS RESPECT for this rifle, its history,
and the men who carried it. I want to make this the crown jewel of my collection so I want to get a good one. Any advise on the matter would be great!!!!!

:shooter: :shooter:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have an M1 Garand that my father gave me from when he was in the Korean War. It was produced in 1957 and hasn't been fired. I've taken it to gun shows in the Phoenix area and have been offered anywhere from $1,200 up to $5,000 for it. I will never part with it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
N.Y.P.D.,
I don't blame you! If I had one with that kind of sentimental value, as well as monetary value I would be buried with it !

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It's going to my oldest son to be passed down the line along with the story of this fine fighting rifle. It's memory will never fade.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NYPD

My Grandfather was in WW 2 he died in 83 when I was only a wee lad. I wish I had been old enough to understand what these gentleman
did for us before he died ! It truly was the greatest generation. I envy you for having such a piece of history, and the knowledge passed to you by your father. I only know that my Grampa was in the Aleutian Islands, and saw some combat there. It was the only combat on
U.S. soil during the war.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have seen some crummy ones with mismatches wood for 550-650, some decent ones with nice matching wood for 700-900 and then the higher end ones for 1000+. it depends on the maker, round count, when it was made and if its been rebuilt and has matching serial numbers or not.

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Myetball said:
Perhaps the best way to go is join a shooting club or other CMP recognized affiliate and buy one from CMP.

Go here first: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

Then here: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

A buddy just ordered a field grade M1 a couple weeks ago, hasn't arrived yet but should be quite a sight when it gets here.
Thanks! I will check them out. I have been to the CMP Retail shop in Alabama a couple of times. They might have some nice ones on the sight!

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
whats about the going price on one of those that you get through the CMP? any idea?

·
Registered
90 Posts
They're kind of hard to find, save cmp...I'd been looking for a while, all I found were $1000+ or new production...I jumped on the one I got. People who buy them don't typically resell them, in private sale they're suprisingly rare. I know mine won't be wearing a sale sign while I'm alive. it's my most accurate gun yet the one I've shot the least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts