Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an ad by a Sponsor for a firearm. Price seemed a bit high. I checked it out at Academy. The price difference is 34% higher by the sponsor. I was going to post it and ask for either a match or why the $136 difference? My first inclination that this is a rip off or price gauging. But then I thought our moderators might think this too aggressive and embarrassing for a sponsor so I didn't do it.

Now I am disappointed in myself for not confronting the issue. I've confronted a lot more serious issues in my life than this so now I'm asking "What would you do?" Do I owe it to my fellow forum members or just let them make up their own minds without necessarily knowing what the competition is offering...you can see that this issue is not as simple as it might first appear. So what would you do?

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I'd leave it alone.

First, not everybody has access to an Academy. Secondly, Academy has to actually have it in stock. Academy is known to be super-cheap on occasion, and almost always has a good price. Everybody has different costs for the goods they sell and their overhead. Academy is large enough to buy guns direct from the manufacturers. Most smaller sellers are going through at least a couple of middlemen.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I feel that if you're in the market for a firearm, you obviously need to do the research on brand, caliber, pros, cons, and this includes finding the right price for yourself.. Why wouldn't you? There's always going to be a difference in price from one place to another. You don't owe it to anyone to point this out... Free enterprise and all you know? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Yeah, depends on how many toes you want to step on. glenwolde has a great point that not everyone has access to Academy and I know what "type" of situation you're talking about; Academy has a really good price on a Rossi 38 +p revolver but they have to have it in stock for it to be a good deal.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I'd leave it alone.

First, not everybody has access to an Academy. Secondly, Academy has to actually have it in stock. Academy is known to be super-cheap on occasion, and almost always has a good price. Everybody has different costs for the goods they sell and their overhead. Academy is large enough to buy guns direct from the manufacturers. Most smaller sellers are going through at least a couple of middlemen.
Yep, Academy and Walmart type stores will usually be vastly cheaper than small gun shops. It's not just guns either.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
This may be irrelevant. My lgs is usually about a $100 higher than bigger retail chains like Walmart for example. The quilty of the same firearm is better at algae the inspect and make sire all firearms are in manufacturer tolerances and handle any and all problems in the future. I see of as a small price for the extra benefits and personal attention. Usually the big chains leave you out to dry and say contact the manufacturer pm your own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This may be irrelevant. My lgs is usually about a $100 higher than bigger retail chains like Walmart for example. The quilty of the same firearm is better at algae the inspect and make sire all firearms are in manufacturer tolerances and handle any and all problems in the future. I see of as a small price for the extra benefits and personal attention. Usually the big chains leave you out to dry and say contact the manufacturer pm your own.
I agree, and back up that up with my wallet.

Yes, sometimes I have bought from Academy, Cabela's etc.....on things much to good to pass up or my LGS didn't have...such as my 2022 this week.

But I check the little guy first...and I've had them tell me "We have some on order, wait a week and we can beat that price by...".

·
Registered
96 Posts
IMHO, being a Sponsor places no special onus on a Member to overextend spending their funds. If you do contact the Sponsor, there is no requirement to let them know you are a Member of a particular Forum. I like supporting my LGS when I can and usually give them first crack when I get the itch for something different. Many stores (Home Depot, etc.) require the purchaser to contact the mfg. for warranty repairs, so I do not have a problem doing that with a firearm. It may be inconvienient not to be able to swap it out right away, but many stores are not equipped to handle repairs (authorized or not, warranty or not).

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Can`t touch this.. No sense starting a war because we have enough to fight..

·
Administrator
41,058 Posts
Take it up in private with the sponsor. Your right. Embarrassing a sponsor or anyone else in the open forum, isn't the thing to do.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I will tell you this about Academy and working there for 6 years, most of it as a manager and knew several of the buyers at the time. The number of firearms they sell is massive. They make a killing on selling all of the other product in the store and do not mark up firearms like other retailers because they don't have to. They move enough of them to make a small amount in each one and still come out ahead.
also about them, if you notice their stores compared to competitors they have a fairly good size footprint but they don't waste space. Almost all of the sales floor is used and so is the receiving area for over stock. They don't waste money by having huge displays for people to come look at that they have to take care of, feed (fish) and tons of boats that don't sell very fast. The Gochman family knew how to make money and not waste it on things that would cost them.

so, would I say something... Not sure, but I do have the background of Academy's structure in this case to help me understand why they are so much less expensive than others. And I hope it helps other members understand as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts