Taurus Firearm Forum banner

In this pizza shop situation, what would you do?

• Draw weapon & defend injured man?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attempt to physically restrain the attacker?

• Do absolutely Nothing like the Patrons & Staff did?

• Dial 911 but do nothing to stop the assault

• Leave building quickly to keep from getting involved?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I've seen it too - I'd need more information before I could say I would skin my smokewagon....it looks like the smaller dude may have said something disparaging to the girlfriend, but I'm not sure. After the first couple of hits, the dude hits the floor - not being able to tell if he was just cowering, or if he was seriously hurt, or not breathing, I can't say what I would do. If the dude was dying, and the big guy wasn't stopping, then I might have to stop it. It did seem like the attacker was very much in control, he stopped pummeling the guy, then picked up his stuff, then left. I don't think I would have drawn on him, but I sure would have dialed 911. Thats a bad situation if there are kids around, they don't' really need to see that stuff, and they sure don't need to be in the middle of it.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
seen that video before.. was'nt it in ohio iirc a few years ago?

well it's hard to say..

1. i can't tell whats being said
2. i dont know what started the situation
3. how badly is he hurt? hard to tell, did he make it out the door? video quality is bad so i can't tell if he made it out the door or if he hit the floor.

what provoked the attack on the guy? only thing i can make out is MF'er this and MF'er that.. when she's pointing at the guy it sounded a little like she said ******!

it looks like at first she was upset with the employee or maybe the guy on the phone said something? can't tell.

i will say this woman will love to run their mouth.. and they love to get their men into to trouble or get'em to fight some one.. especially when they're drunk.

and wtf is with all the people on cell phones? they calling 911? no it looks like they're talking to their girl friends or maybe just trying to look nonchalant like the situation ain't no problem.

anyway without all the facts i could'nt say, i'd probably just step outside and call 911.. maybe take a video or picture on a cell phone..

he did'nt look armed and fist fights rarely end in anything more then bruses and a loose tooth.

the other guy probably was'nt to badly hurt.. did'nt look like he was putting much effort in fighting back either.

i'd definitely help the cops though when they showed up.

but as for drawing? nah i dont think the situation was bad enough for that.

now the question i'll throw out there is if someone starts attacking you would you draw? or better yet has anyone here ever been in a fist fight while carrying?

i have to be honest even as i said most fist fights are'nt life threatening if someone attacks me im probably gonna draw.. why? cause if they get a hold of my gun they might use it on me.

is it even possible to have complete control of your gun while fighting? i doubt it.. except maybe highly trained special ops or something.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
doc do you have a article? it's really hard to tell from the video i can't tell whats being said nor how bad it actually was.

btw did he say something to provoke the woman? or did she just go off? she was already pissed but it looked like she was mad at the employee at first..

in OHIO if he said something to provoke her.. like a insault.. i could'nt protect him even if i wanted to under law.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tough to say without all the details, but if the guy did not provoke the situation I would have to say that I would draw and hope to stop the assault. Of course, should I be assaulted or he continued to assult the victim, I'd be prepared to shoot to stop him.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Ah, here it is!

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4217616/detail.html
Sims' boyfriend, Jones, punched Scarpino several times, causing him to have a broken eye socket, and broken nose, a concussion and a chipped tooth
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4215140/detail.html
Jones came in and sucker punched Scarpino several times as other watched. Jones, who is 6 feet 4 inches and weighs 295 pounds, hit Scarpino at least seven times.
then a follow up:
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4234690/detail.html
Sims says she pleaded guilty to three misdemeanor charges in August in order to avoid a felony charge. She served six months in jail, and was released in February.

But she says now prosecutors have slapped her with an assault charge, and she is scheduled to go on trial March 14.

Sims said she feels like she has already served her time, and shouldn't face more charges.
I know I remember reading somewhere that Jones stole the victim's phone, but it's not mentioned in any of the stories that I could find.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
See, that's a horse of a different color....if I was being severely beaten, I might have to draw. Again, it depends.

I'd be careful 'helping' the police when they show up, Joe - most police don't really care for alot of civilian intervention, it just confuses their situation. Better to let them deal with it, and if something goofy happens, like he somehow disarmed the cops, then I'm sure help would be much appreciated.

I believe you Doc - it looks like he's bent down to pick something up right before he leaves, and it's probably the other guy's cell phone.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
It just happened to be on wildest police vidios the other night. She cut to the front of the line and the manager was in the back the guy that got beaten was calling the store to get the manager to come to the front and only decribed her as a black women with a camo top. She spit in the managers face along with the guy who made the call and called for her boyfriend who just got out of prison he was charged and is serving 4 years.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, to follow the law...

There is no appearance of a weapon that could cause death or grevious bodily harm.

So from just watching the video, and ONLY the video.. I would not draw, I would step outside, dial 911.

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
I've been attacked just recently by the neighborhood drunk. I was armed with one of my fighting knive but not a gun. I did not draw the knife as I was not in fear for my life, he was smaller than I am so disparity of force was not an issue. I was in complete control of the situation. he was used to beating his tiny wife and things did not work out to well for him.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
See, that's a horse of a different color....if I was being severely beaten, I might have to draw. Again, it depends.

I'd be careful 'helping' the police when they show up, Joe - most police don't really care for alot of civilian intervention, it just confuses their situation. Better to let them deal with it, and if something goofy happens, like he somehow disarmed the cops, then I'm sure help would be much appreciated.

I believe you Doc - it looks like he's bent down to pick something up right before he leaves, and it's probably the other guy's cell phone.
i did'nt say i was gonna get involved, i distinctly remember writing i would go out side and call 911 and probably take a picture or video if i had a cell phone with that function... is it just me or does it seem like everyone is misinterpreting my words lately?

what i mean is i would stick around to give a statement and also show them any photos or video i might have caught on a camera.

any cop who would'nt want a eye witness statement and or a photo/video needs to turn in their badges.. cops solve very few crimes without eye witnesses or other evidence.. you know most murders go unsolved?

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
joe sixpack said:
i did'nt say i was gonna get involved, i distinctly remember writing i would go out side and call 911 and probably take a picture or video if i had a cell phone with that function... is it just me or does it seem like everyone is misinterpreting my words lately
don't worry joe its happened to me i say somthing simple and catch hell for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No one really knows what they would really do! Myself, I would have to go on instincts! What if we rephrased it & said, it was one of your best friends or a neighbor that you knew or & old pal from High School..! Now what would you do? The scenerio just changed! Every situation is different!, And every situation is the same! You have to think! I would try to stop it in any way I could see fit before drawing my weapon and/or using any deadly force! He's definetly a very large man! There are many scenerios that could play out here:
1. The big man;s wife / girlfriend could counter attack you, whereas you are really out numbered for attacking him!
2. You could pull out your weapon & one, or both of them could be brandishing thier weapons!
3. Try 911 when things 1st start to go wrong!
4. Try to identify them after the attack? - Hardly!

It's hard to say what I'd do! Instinct as a Marine would tell me to draw as a last defense, and only if that man's life was in grave danger! In that sit. I probably would have draw my weapon!That man's life was in danger! There's no doubt! No one did a damn thing! That's SAD! I would have drawn my weapon & used it!
You can turn this around to be if it was your Brother, neighbor, friend....., what have you! No matter who it was, that man's life was in danger & no one did a thing! That's sad!

Harry

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well if it was a friend or family member.. ya im getting involved of course i dont know what that would be though.. probably still would'nt draw off the bat but it would be on the table..

again though i hesitate to get involved in a physical altercation while carrying, just cause im not planing on drawing it dont mean they are'nt if you get in a fight and the gun slips out.. they pick it up.. or they feel it on you and make a grab for it..

getting into a brawl while carrying is a scary thought for me..

i'll ask again how many of you have been in a fight while carrying? if someone attacks you even if they are'nt armed what do you do? assuming leaving is not a option.. after all they're attacking you the time to leave has came and went.

so what do you do? engage in a fist fight and hope they dont get ahold of your gun? or do you draw?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I've been in plenty of physical altercations while on duty so I guess that counts as when I'm carrying. It causes an amazing adrenaline dump and your "fight" instinct really kicks in since you don't want the BG getting a hold of your firearm.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok I voted for Dial 911 but do nothing to stop the assault however that is only partially correct. After dialing 911, I would have tried to stop the attacker without my sidearm. My opinion is based only on what is actually visible in the video. Since no felony is visible I can not legally stop the person from leaving. I would however get a description and plate number of the car.

·
Administrator
40,396 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
I've been in plenty of physical altercations while on duty so I guess that counts as when I'm carrying. It causes an amazing adrenaline dump and your "fight" instinct really kicks in since you don't want the BG getting a hold of your firearm.
Been a lot of years, but the adrenalin dump is phenominal. So I been there, same as NYPD. Never been in a tussle as a CHL holder though. Would imagine, no, quarantee, its the same. :guns:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm not a big guy so there's no way I'm going to get involved with something like this. And if I did get dragged into it I'd probably have had to shot one/both of them to try and keep myself out of the ICU.

And a general side note, don't get in the way of a large pissed off black woman unless you're loaded for elephant!

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 56 Posts