Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a Taurus View at the SD gathering last year. I think my impression was kind of the same as everyone else's - cool idea, but....

Basically, you shoot at the attacker's crotch so you can hit him center mass...and that's from only 10 feet away. A very limited scope of use. I've noticed that Taurus has replaced transparent cover plates with metal ones.. a positive change, IMO, as the see through thing served no purpose. Don't know if they're doing it on all of them, but at least some of them.

Not so much interested in what recommendations you'd give to Taurus to change the gun, but what would you do personally to mod the gun from it's current available form to make it more usable? Got to thinking about this when I shot some Hornady critical defense "Lite" ammo. 90 gr. bullets out of my M85 poly. Made recoil very minimal. I think the View could be more accurate with ammo like this. Heck, I even have some .38 short Colt ammo that could probably reduce recoil even more (though potency would be reduced.) .38 short and long Colt will work in .38 Special guns, as I understand it.

Has anyone come up with larger grips for the View? What are you View owners doing with your guns? Do you see them as defensive guns? Or more as interesting collector guns? It seems to me that Taurus isn't moving many of them, and it'd be a shame if the idea died on the vine.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
I'm storing mine for now, not sure what I will do with it. The View was scrapped, no longer making them. They have been replaced with the non-view with the medal plates. The reasoning is that the lexan side plate gets dirty inside and defeats the purpose. You can send it in and they will replace the lexan with a metal plate if you want. They will not ship you a metal side plate as they say it requires fitting. Any way I bought one when I learned they were being discontinued because I like the idea of trying something different. Will be the same reason I end up getting a Curve.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Actually, the reason the Lexan sideplate was replaced with metal was because all of those who like to play gunsmith when replacing the sideplate torqued down the screws to tight and cracked the Lexan....

Don

Reactions: Rossi

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
The View is as small a revolver can be before it becomes a derringer, I'll bet. It fits my hand perfectly - but my hand size represents a very small portion of the population. Most of the fellas I know cannot hold The View, at least not in a controlled manner to be anywhere close to accurate with it. I'm not sure that I was all that accurate when I shot it, either, but I did much better with it than most of the fellas at the SD meet. So, if I wanted a close to derringer sized piece that gave me 5 shots instead of 1 or 2, for close-in protection then the View would fit the bill! 38 sp is very common, but perhaps a round like 32 s&w would have been more comfortable to shoot out of it if the engineers designed it that way....if one could actually find any quantities of 32 s&w, not to mention for a reasonable price!

Ya' gotta' find the right tool to do the job. Rossi, you are a taaaaall drink of water! You would no more use a Cricket 22lr rifle to hunt mule deer not only because the round is ballistically not heavy enough but because the Cricket is so short you can't even shoulder the stock! For you a small pocket 38 would likely be an M85, 'cause my M85's are like full sized for me! :)

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya' gotta' find the right tool to do the job. Rossi, you are a taaaaall drink of water! You would no more use a Cricket 22lr rifle to hunt mule deer not only because the round is ballistically not heavy enough but because the Cricket is so short you can't even shoulder the stock! For you a small pocket 38 would likely be an M85, 'cause my M85's are like full sized for me!
True...even wood gripped J frames are a little small for me. I still like them, though :). It never occurred to me that smaller folks could shoot the gun better than big handed folks, but it makes sense, Sekol. There were four new (I believe) Views on gunbroker. I'm surprised they're stopping production, but I guess if they were still making them I'd of seen a lot more. Too bad. I guess that also means the chances of Hogue making a larger grip for it are nil. I guess if someone wants an ultra small revolver, the Taurus .380 is still a good choice. You're right, my M85 poly sometimes goes in my pocket, even though it's slightly larger size makes it a tighter fit. It's still comfortable because it's so light.
Less lesbians! Hey you asked.
Oh, yeah...I forgot about that TV show. Thanks a lot for reminding me! :)

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
:sarcasm:Duct tape it to a brick and use it as a club.:icon_ devil:
I was sure you were going to say: "Duct tape it to a brick and throw it in the nearest river!":D:D But, that would just be mean spirited.

Reactions: MOONDAWG and Rossi

·
Registered
24,611 Posts
Nothing to do to modify the View as it was designed with a purpose in mind.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Any way I bought one when I learned they were being discontinued because I like the idea of trying something different. Will be the same reason I end up getting a Curve.
PSSTTT!
I think the "Spruce Goose" is still up for sale.--------------------:D

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
:sarcasm:Duct tape it to a brick and use it as a club.:icon_ devil:
and lets not overlook the ever popular Super Glue either!!!---------------------:blink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carry my View every day in my jeans pocket. It is loaded with 148 grain Magtech wadcutters, and I shoot it at the range every week. I fitted it with a Pachmayr #3 slip on grip which manages the felt recoil very well. It is a great little carry gun, if not very pretty. Eleven ounces loaded.

. view.jpg

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Get rid of Whoopie Goldberg? :yeahbaby01::yeahbaby01:

Reactions: Rossi and olfarhors

·
Registered
8 Posts
I modified an Uncle Mike's boot grip as I described in the link below. Much more comfortable than stock (for me).

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/134966-new-grip-option-85-view-no-view.html

Yours is certainly a more elegant solution to the grip problem than mine, but mine works for me, and I don't care very much that it is an ugly duckling. I hope that once people get past the unfortunate "gimmicky" introduction of the View they will see that the No View is one of the lightest, most powerful, most pocketable handguns around. If it becomes just a little bit popular maybe Hogue or some other aftermarket company will make a good grip to replace the laughable one Taurus saddled it with.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts